Sore nips!

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
Since having my blocked duct my nipple on that side has been sore even when he's not feeding. It hurts when he latches on then it's fine when he's on.

I also slept on my front on the other side (didn't not realise this was a nono when bfing) and got a blocked duct the other side and this nipples sore (but not as sore) so thinking this is all related?

Having said that Tyler keeps pulling off after he's fed for a while which hurts because he try's to stay attached at the same time!

Any tips?

No help I'm afraid but wanted to say I feel your pain as F maintains suction but wriggles her head about really pulling it, quite sore! Try and feed lying down which helps a bit x

hi, maybe your nipple is cracked. sometimes when babies don't latch properly they make your nipples really sore. you said he's trying to pull off after feed, as soon as you notice that it may happen put your finger by the corner of his lips (between gums) to release the suction. if the pain doesn't go away in few days get someone to check if he latches properly. if your nipples are cracked, put some brestmilk on them after the feed and let them dry uncovered, it helps a lot.

hi, maybe your nipple is cracked. sometimes when babies don't latch properly they make your nipples really sore. you said he's trying to pull off after feed, as soon as you notice that it may happen put your finger by the corner of his lips (between gums) to release the suction. if the pain doesn't go away in few days get someone to check if he latches properly. if your nipples are cracked, put some brestmilk on them after the feed and let them dry uncovered, it helps a lot.

Thankfully they aren't cracked, just tender but I've been using my lanisonah on them. I'll try the gum thing, do they grow out of it?

It does get better, but still might happen once in a while... just don't let your little one to pull your nipple as that does hurt. and if he latches on and you feel it's not quite right, put the finger to release the suction and try again. Thats what my health visitor told me.

I'm sore now too, someone mentioned I might have thrush so maybe you do too? Think I might go doctors tomorrow. I didn't know you couldn't sleep on your front!

My LO also does this but only for two reasons
1. When she has swallowed some air while feeding and needs to be burped.
2. When she needs to go to the toilet. In the first few weeks the act of suckling and drinking milk triggers a reflex that makes their bowels move (LO used to poo after/during every feed) and they get uncomfy and feel that they need to go.

I found that once I took care of one or both of the above (burped her or held her over a potty to let her pee/poo) she would latch on well and feed calmly without pulling off and hurting my nipples.

Even now that she's older, pulling off and latching on repeatedly is still the number one sign that she needs to go. This is just my experience though so I don't know if it helps.

Last edited:
Kynon does the poo thing too, I thought it was just him that it went in one end and straight out of the other! We sometimes get 7 poo nappys in 24 hours cos he feeds so much!

I have all but given up on putting him on the boob, he gets expressed milk in bottles, my nipples were half dead, cracked, scabby, bloody, you name it. I was at my wits' end and no amount of Lansinoh or nipple shields did anything for me. You could try pumping to give the nips a break, if you feel like it. It's been a godsend for me, I was in tears every time I fed him (AND it took bloody hours, I was losing the will to live). I put him on the boob mainly at night to coax him to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back