Sophie Ella *13/01/12*

Hunnie

Reaction score
Finally got some peace and quiet to get on with writing the birth story before I forget it all! :) currently snuggled up in hospital bed with Sophie while she has boob cuddles lol.

Soph was originally due on the 10th January but we were booked in for induction on the 12th because of discomfort caused by itching due to raised bile levels.

Went in on the morning of the 12th at 11am absolutely dreading what was going to happen. We were put on a ward and left till after dinner to be examined and start off the induction process. Dinner came and went and I was monitored and it was then decided to insert the pessary to start off the process. Pessary took longer than should to insert as I'm awful with internal examinations but finally it was done and me and OH went off to find something to eat and have a good walk around.

Started getting contractions at around half 3 after the pessary had been inserted at half 1. Went back to the ward and sat with my mum and OH until they had to leave me at 8 :(. Felt absolutely fine up to this point and the contractions had eased off quite a lot. Gave it another hour and I was starting to get quite uncomfortable again so asked MW on duty if she could get me a ball to sit on. Ended up being hooked up to the monitor and she wanted to reexamine me. Tried the first time just using gas and air but I just couldn't relax so we decided to try the option of going Into another room (because I felt so self conscious of the noise I was making that the other women had to listen to), give me diamorphine and then try with gas and air as well.
Second attempt went a bit better but I still couldn't relax at all and all that was found out was that the pessary wasn't in as far as it should be and she couldn't push it up far enough with me not being relaxed enough. Ended up also back on the monitor because she wasn't happy with Sophie's movements. Slept in my own room that night instead of on the ward and was coping well until at half 1 the diamorphine wore off :(. Managed to get back off to sleep until about 7ish when I got woken up by the midwife to do my blood pressure and tell me that breakfast had arrived.

Got put back on the monitor again at 9 after complaining to the MW that my contractions were really painful. She was pretty rude with both me and OH to be honest but made the decision to get one of the doctors in to reassess my pessary again and see how far dilated I was. She managed to finally get the pessary out and do a brief examination of me with me screaming the place down throughout (so embarrassing :(! ) and decided to send me on up to the birth suite to have an epidural done before they broke my waters.

Got to the birth suite where the first doctor failed to put the catheter in my arm in place correctly and caused it to swell up massively. Then over the space of the next 2 hours a multitude of people seemed to try to fit one correctly (5 failed attempts in the end!) and have left me looking like a human pin cushion. Then there was the farce with having the epidural done. Long story short, I was used as a human dartboard as they failed to be able to give me the epidural because the ligaments in my back from horse riding are too strong and they couldn't get it fitted properly. I sat there for an hour and 40 minutes in the "angry cat position" until I screamed that I had had enough and to give up completely. I ended up just having a spinal block injected so that they could break my waters which they managed to do successfully.

However this is where it all went wrong. The doctor who broke my waters decided to get me started on the drip to speed things up, however before she could finish her sentence, the room was full of other people and a consultant came in and told us that she had been watching baby's monitors from the office and she wasn't happy with how distressed and unhappy baby was looking. The decision was made that I'd be having an emergency c section as I wasn't dilated enough for them to be able to check on baby's stats very easily. I remember just breaking down in tears as it was the last thing that I had wanted to happen to me but before I could even register what was properly going on my trolley and me were being whisked quickly down to theatre.

This is where I absolutely lost the plot. Absolutely scared witless I couldn't control my crying at all as I realised what was really going to happen to me and so decided that I wanted them to knock me out completely so I was put under general anaesthetic and that's the last I remember of that part!

Next I just remember waking up with OH sat next to me and Sophie was in his arms and I think I said something like that can't be my baby she's so beautiful lol! The MW said that I would have most likely ended up having to have a c section at some point because I would have struggled to get all 9lbs 3 1/2oz of Sophie out unassisted!
My mum and gran were also there as we I was coming around and they had their turn to get cuddles and once I was in less pain it was my turn to have her put on me and we were taken down to post natal care ward.

And thats where we both still are, hopefully get to go home tomorrow depending on how happy they are with us both! I don't remember much of last night apart from being shuffled across onto my bed with a board and being drugged up for most of it lol!

Either way Sophie is doing really well with her breastfeeding and loves visiting the milk bar! She's also sleeping and settling down really well at night. I'm so impressed with her.

Anyway that's my birth story done! :) It might be all a bit jiggled and hard to understand because I'm doing it on my phone and I've fallen asleep a couple of times whilst writing it lol.

Thank you to Jenni for doing my labour/induction thread and a general thank you to all pf ladies for just being there and offering such great advice! Xxxx

Congrats mrs. Sorry to hear you had such a hard time Hun xxx

Sorry to hear things didn't quite go as planned, but huge congrats on the safe arrival of little Sophie!! :) xx

So happy that you have your little one safely in your arms now, sorry it was such a rough time for you xxx congratulations xx.

You had a tough time of it - congrats on the birth of your daughter x

Sorry it was a hard one but congratulations and love the name lol x

Sorry it was so difficult but well done hon and congrats! X

Massive congratulations Hun xx

aw congratulations! what a lot you went through, you sound so calm and positive and enjoying these precious early days. well done hon x

Oh my goodness you've been through the mill...........but Congratulations hunny x

I still can't believe the fuss we had about the canulars going in and the epidural attempts. It wasn't the ideal birth at all and I don't feel like I can really say that I laboured as I was never actually classed as in labour so essentially I am a little disappointed because it feels like at the last stretch of such a long journey I don't really have any experience still in what properly giving birth is like. I dont think I want to go through all this again any time soon anyway!!

I can't complain though as baby soph is perfectly healthy and so far happy and that's all that really matters :)

Thank you you for your replies :) xxx

Ohhh sounds like you went through the mill and back but glad you got her in the end, congratulations to you all XXX

Sorry about having such a hard time hun :hugs: Can't beleive what a good weight she was! 50% again of what Josh was lol, NP about updating, i will use you for mine in a few weeks ;) xx

:hug: what a birth story! i almost felt like we went through it together in the end :) Hope you're doing well hun xx

It's strange how similar both births were! Hope you're doing well too xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back