Son upset that Mummy is preg *update* hes ok now :)

scones

Reaction score
We told our 7 year old today that I am preg and he was initially happy and then he started to cry saying 'I liked my life the way it was before' and 'The house will smell of poo' and stuff that he neednt be stressing about. I reassured him and Im sure a lot of it was over the top, as he is a clever kid and sharp as a pin. Im worried now though cos its a lot for him to take in, especially being the only child for 7 years, to have to accept that he is going to have to chare his mum and dad is hard i guess.
has anyone else been in this situation and how did it turn out? im sure he wil come around to the idea!

No advice fro me Im afraid... but just wanted to say Congrats! :dance:

First of all congratulations :cheer:

My son is 6 and when we told him we was going to have a little one in the house, he responded by telling us if it cried he would throw it out of the window!!!

But gradually throughout my pregnancy we said things like, " when your brother comes along you will be the big brother and he will look up to you"
We discussed it a few times in the early days but not to much so he thought thats all we ever spoke about, towards the end of my pregnancy we used to take him out shopping and let him pick out outfits for HIS little brother, and we took him to our 4d scan so he got to watch him in my tummy.

Now he has his brother he is brilliant and he is so proud, i don't know what i was worrying about, he helps me out sooooo much and spends hours just chatting away to his little brother.
I think the key is to just be gentle with it, not to much in his face and try and include him as much as possible. We got out the baby/pregnancy journel from when he was a baby and went through it with him aswell, so he knew he was loved just the same amount.

All the best of luck hun, i spent my pregnancy worrying so much about this, then when it comes to baby arriving everything will be fine and im sure your two LO's will be fine. xxx

my son was 14 hun when i found out i was pregnant and he was devastated he told me to get rid of it, we had a few bad weeks where we couldnt mention the baby but we kept him as involved as possible and he soon came round, Hannah is 3 now and he loves her to bits, dont make the mistake i made though and tell him nothing will change because obviously it does

Thanks miss sara, your words are really comforting xxxx
Mary70, we havent said anything will change, we have said that things will just be different but wonderful too!

He has come around this morning and keeps rubbing my belly and saying 'im looking after the baby' so Im sure it was the initial shock now hes getting used to the idea he is happy, or seems so today!

Thanks xxxx

Hun, there are two things that I have told my older kids that are important, IMO. One is that they dont "share" your love, only that there is sometimes a little less time for each individual. I told both of them that each baby grows its own love...coz it is true! :lol: You love each one sooooooooooo much...no dividing in the love department. The other thing is that I told them that it was normal to feel a little jealoous and I didnt mind if they told me. That they didnt need to feel guilty about it, coz it is normal.

Everything iwll work out fine, promise! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

Aw thankyou-i knew Id get good sensible replies here :hug:

He is getting happier by the day, wants to help me do stuff and is asking constant questions so alls good so far! Thanks!

i was 5 when my sister was born, apparently when my mum and dad told me i told them that if baby cried i would make it sleep in the shed and there was NO WAY i was going to share my toys.

they tried to involve me with names, although i was convinced i wanted a brother and he was to be called Thomas (after the tank engine)

happy to report that i grew up adoring my lil sister :oops:

congratulations and good luck :D

there is 8 years between my two, initially paris was upset she said she would punch my in the stomach etc :roll: once he arrived she turned into a baby for two weeks then got over it. Shes now the doting big sis x

My daughter was 7 when I fell pregnant with my son, and 8 when he was born. I told her straightaway and she seemed ok about it, but she wanted a little sister and got a smelly boy instead. First few months were hard as my son was very vocal and needful and she did get jealous and refuse to come and stay with me (she lives with my ex-husband) and regularly told me she hated him. She's come round to him slowly, she seemed to start accepting him when he started interacting with her and smiling at her. He is 15 months now and can interact with her even more and she is thrilled that he has started walking. She tried telling me she hated him again at the weekend when he was crying due to tiredness, but then said she does 'love him really, he's cute, but can be a pain in the bum sometimes!' :lol:

God knows how she is going to react this time round as we have just started TTC... just hope she doesn't carry out her threat of running away! :shock:

Just an update really, my son is really great about it now, he rubs my tummy sometimes hehe and talks about it and even said 'A brother would be nice but i think a girl would be nice for you Mum cos Dads got me then you would have a girl then its fair' aw bless

ahh, glad to hear it. :D

I was watching this thread with interest as my daughter will be 8 when this ones born. So far she has been great about it although she is certain it's a boy and calls the bump Daniel.... She may be in for a shock so I hope she takes that well!

So we are at a similar stage, id be interested to hear how she talks about it as the pregnancy progresses. My lad has been more craeful around me , like not jumping on me on the sofa like he usually does :roll: so i know he has take it on board.Pm me if you want and we can share thoughts and/or worries xxxx

Ah yes but girls tend to be a lot more like 'that' than boys dont they.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back