Something that may set your mind at ease

Annie050408

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that lots of us who are currently in Tri 1 are pregnant after miscarriage and so I thought I'd dig out a thread I posted on here when I was pregnant with Ella 18 months ago.

These are some statistics regarding miscarriage:

http://pregnancyloss.info/statistics/

It outlines that 15-20% of pregnancies will end in miscarriage but that of those:

approx 75% chance of miscarriage occur within 1-2 weeks of conception (before you realise you are pregnant and get a positive test)
around 10% chance of it happening during 3-6 weeks
approx 5% chance of it happening between 6-12 weeks

If you have had a mc in the past but also had a healthy baby then your risk is no higher than the above. If you've had a mc but not had a baby then the risk is only marginally more. So basically we need to consider these pregnancies separately to our history and assume we will be in the the 80-85% of pregnancies resulting in healthy babies.
Hope it helps set other people's minds at rest too. xx

Last edited:
Thanks annie :hugs:

i have been looking up stats non stop, and found that if you see heartbeat on early scan (i did on fri) then the risk reduces even more :love:

xx

Yep it drops to 3% meaning a 97% chance of a healthy baby from there on in - I like those odds!! Roll on my early scan - have an appointment at the docs at 11.50am and I'm sure they'll book me in for one.

Omg thanks sooooooo much for this.got my 12week scan weds after previous mmc but have seen heartbeat at 3 scans so far do ferling better. just wish i had more of a bump n then mayb i wouldnt feel so worried. seens to go flat till about 3pm n the tge sickness starts...ewwwww
hugs to all x

It's good to read those statistics. I think that site is very useful if you have had a miscarriage - I spent a lot of time reading it after mine. The lady talks a lot of sense.

Thanks loads Hun, I'm loving the 97% after I went on sat for my early scan :hugs:
Xxx

Thank you so much for this - has really helped ease my first time baby paranoia. A few more days and I'll be in the 5% category - yay! Can I just ask, quite a few people on here have had early scans. Do you get this if you have previously had a miscarriage, or can you request this? I am only 5 weeks and a few days and haven't even bothered to make a doctor's appointment yet - again the paranoia kicking in!! Wanted to be a bit more certain the bean would be sticking around! Would I be offered an early scan as standard or just if I didn't know my dates?? (Unfortunately I do so can't really lie on that one!!).
Sorry so many questions but I don't have a clue about all this stuff!!!

You only get an early scan if you have had a prior loss. When I was pregnant with Ella I paid £50 for an early scan at 7 weeks so got to see her heartbeat - was the best £50 I ever spent as I completely relaxed after that.

thx for that.
Also if youve had one scan with a heartbeat seen, then you have a vvv small % chace of a m/c too.

Hey all, ive had3scans, first2due ti previous mc n the last one cos i hsd pain n bleeding i still keep tellin myself baby mighot b ok on weds even tho ive seen the heartbeat three times n one of those after 10weeks. i honestly didnt think id b this worried2nd time round. the stats really helpd tho annie O:) xxx

Thanks Annie thats really reassuring.

Ladies I had a mmc - dodnt fond put til 12 wks , baby died approx around 7.3 weeks , when is your advice will it best to get the scan?

Thanks xxx

Omg thanks sooooooo much for this.got my 12week scan weds after previous mmc but have seen heartbeat at 3 scans so far do ferling better. just wish i had more of a bump n then mayb i wouldnt feel so worried. seens to go flat till about 3pm n the tge sickness starts...ewwwww
hugs to all x

Hi girls, I just wanted to say I think this thread is great, that is what I had to tell myself throughout tri 1 with this pregnancy as had previous mc and all is v well with this pregnancy as was expected by my doctor and those stats so def keep faith all will be well.

Also just wanted to say to those that a bump in tri1 normally is gas (sorry to all with bump at mo) but uterus won't push out til tri2 normally so don't panic if don't have bump til then either. My bump didn't arrive til 18 weeks so was a long time to wait but great when it finally got there!

Good luck to you all, tri1 is def the hardest with hormones and symptoms but sit back and enjoy and look forward to your 12 week scans xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back