So upset my dog

I had a 14 year old german shepherd 2 years ago. Id pretty much grown up with him by my side.

He went off his back legs and pretty soon getting around became such hard work for him, and such an effort for us to help him (even though we all didn't mind and loved him) and the vet also diagnosed him with cancer, we eventually decided it'd be better for him if we put him to sleep, as then he wouldn't be suffering.

I agree it is the hardest thing ever when they've been around you all your life pretty much, its like missing a vital part of the family. My mum, dad (and ive never seen my dad cry until that day), brother and me all stood in the vets crying our eyes out!.

It does get easier as time goes by, but you feel like nothing can ever replace them :(

On a lighter note, glad the dog is feeling better :D

Last edited:
Vets seem to be all about money these days...years ago we had a wonderful vet who wouldn't charge you unless she had to and then she would only charge what it cost to buy meds...sadly another company took over and they charge through roof! When I went to have my cat put down at 9pm in evening a few mths ago they wanted to charge £60 coz it was out of hrs

I know exactly what you mean! Our poor cat was run over on New Years Day at 2am and fortunately someone found him and bought him to us. We took him to the emergency vets whom charged us £165 to look at him. Intially they were talking about £1.6k for 2 x-rays, pain killers and shock treatment over the two days until our vets were open. In the end, as he was calm unless he tried to move, they just did one x-ray to see if his bladder had ruptured. The damage to his pelvis was so extensive, they couldn't get him at an angle to see properly but did decide that there was nothing they could do for him and it cost us £502 to have him put to sleep. It was absolutely heartbreaking but deep down we both knew that even if we had have been able to afford their fees, he wouldn't have had a very nice life as he would never have been able to stand again let alone move as well as a whole host of other problems.

Really pleased to hear that your little dog is doing much better now

Vets seem to be all about money these days...years ago we had a wonderful vet who wouldn't charge you unless she had to and then she would only charge what it cost to buy meds...sadly another company took over and they charge through roof! When I went to have my cat put down at 9pm in evening a few mths ago they wanted to charge £60 coz it was out of hrs

I know exactly what you mean! Our poor cat was run over on New Years Day at 2am and fortunately someone found him and bought him to us. We took him to the emergency vets whom charged us £165 to look at him. Intially they were talking about £1.6k for 2 x-rays, pain killers and shock treatment over the two days until our vets were open. In the end, as he was calm unless he tried to move, they just did one x-ray to see if his bladder had ruptured. The damage to his pelvis was so extensive, they couldn't get him at an angle to see properly but did decide that there was nothing they could do for him and it cost us £502 to have him put to sleep. It was absolutely heartbreaking but deep down we both knew that even if we had have been able to afford their fees, he wouldn't have had a very nice life as he would never have been able to stand again let alone move as well as a whole host of other problems.

Really pleased to hear that your little dog is doing much better now

omg I'm so sorry what an awful thing to go through. As I'm on disabilty we are fortunute to have the PDSA for emergencies such as that but if I was working I would def think about pet insurance after reading your story. I had no idea x-rays and stuff cost so much! Although you can't put a price on your pets well being costs like that would cripple a lot of families!

My honey is doing better but her days with us are running out I just don't want to lose her ever. I wish animals lived as long as we did x

I had a 14 year old german shepherd 2 years ago. Id pretty much grown up with him by my side.

He went off his back legs and pretty soon getting around became such hard work for him, and such an effort for us to help him (even though we all didn't mind and loved him) and the vet also diagnosed him with cancer, we eventually decided it'd be better for him if we put him to sleep, as then he wouldn't be suffering.

I agree it is the hardest thing ever when they've been around you all your life pretty much, its like missing a vital part of the family. My mum, dad (and ive never seen my dad cry until that day), brother and me all stood in the vets crying our eyes out!.

It does get easier as time goes by, but you feel like nothing can ever replace them :(

On a lighter note, glad the dog is feeling better :D

So sorry for your loss... Honey's back legs are very weak,I put it down to old age but am wondering if something else is going on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back