So upset my dog

TeeUK

Reaction score
I know this has nothing to with pregnancy but I really need to share...I am balling my eyes out and can't seem to stop.

I have 15yr old staffordshire terrier. The last few days she has had terrible diarrhea and I have been getting up to it smeared everywhere as she is walking in it. She is going blind, deaf and often stands in the corner facing the wall for ages at a time..also wanders in circles. Everything she eats is going through her and she is losing weight.

I don't get paid until the 12th Jan to take her to vets so I have been trying to to do the best I can for her at home.

I have been reading up on when to put your dog to sleep and it is killing me...I love her so much and cannot imagine life without her...I'm in bits. I know it is the right thing to do but I just can't bring myself to kill my dog...that's how I see it....even though I know it's for the best.

I've not had good experiences with putting animals to sleep as earlier this year I lost two cats to poisoning and had to have them both put to sleep...it wasn't quick and peaceful....it took way too long and was very stressful for cats. My fear is that the same thing will happen to Honey and her last moments will be of me hurting her....I really can't handle this this...

Has anyone had to put their old dog to sleep...how do you cope?

Oh sweetheart, I feel your pain, i have a 14yo terrier alsatian and I can see her fading each day.

If you can try and get hold of some pro kolin, it binds them up, it can be expensive from the vet though, I bought some on Amazon for £7. If you get really stuck let me know and I will mail you what I have :)

Also as mean as it sounds have you tried starving her for 24 hours, the idea being that if she doesn;t eat anything the bacterial poo will work it's way out, i also do this if needs be :)

if you even just need a chat just let me know and I will send you my number :) xxx

we had to put to sleep our dog in march, he was mainly my husbands dog. its heart braking, and still hurts us now. espically over xmas he wasnt there to open his pressents like our other dog.
but we knew it was the best thing for him.
he went ill very quickly looking back it was only a few days etc. we know what trigerd everything off. but somthings cant be helped. the way he was when we came hm from work, and the look in his eyes we knew we had to let him go. miss him everday. and will do for a long time. even now he will never get to meet the baby.

but ive got to do whats best for ur dog. u know when they arnt well.

Me and my mum had to put our dog down a few years back. She was only a baby too - about 14 weeks old. It's truly heartbreaking, I had to leave the room when they did it because I couldn't cope watching it happen, so my mum had to stay with her.

If she's really unwell, then overall it will probably be best. I know that sounds absolutely horrible to say that death is the best option, but I'm sure your lovely dog is in pain. She won't think bad of you for choosing that option for her, she will understand why you're doing it.

I don't know what else I can say about it. Nothing will really be comforting to you at the moment, but just remember we're here for you :hugs:

Thanks girls been out in the garden with her for ages....she can still walk pretty well just a little wobbly now and then. Bf doesn't want to let her go either he thinks once she is well she has another year left...I'm not so sure but will see how she goes x

bella I looked up that stuff on ebay and I'm going to order some later, thank you..I'll let you know how she gets on xx

Made me cry reading your post as I have 3 dogs of my own, one of which is now 11 and it scares me that she is getting older and one day she will get ill. The vets will advise you on what they think is best for her, it does sound like the poor thing is suffering, hopefully they can do something to ease her suffering and give you a bit longer with her. xxx

oh im sorry hun

i lost a puppy when he was 1 year old, he had epilepsy.

they are so part of the family, and its so sad when they get old and unwell.
keep your hopes up though, nothing wrong with holding out a bit of hope
xxxx

Tee - My 2 if they have a tummy bug have 2ml of it morning and evening for maybe 2 days, it may be worth just ringing your vets, say that you have some already and how much should you give though because I think it depends on weight :)

Don't be blagged by them to bring puppy in, I like yourself always try to solve the issue at home first as it can cost a bomb at the vets, once you have tried everything at home and it hasn;t worked then take pup to the vets.

As much as she is suffering at the moment it may just be a case she has a tummy bug and I would hate for you to make that hard hard decision of putting down if it's not needed :)

Keep your chin up and like I say you can always PM or call if you want xxx

I just called vets she suggested I fast her for another 24hrs and then at 12 noon tomorrow just give her chicken, rice, pasta or scrambled egg. I mentioned the pro kolin and she said they have some there and it's not expensive. On ebay and amazon it was around £7 plus added postage and said it would take anything up to a week to come so if she is not better after fasting and feeding her the bland diet I'll pop up vets and get some....without Honey though as they charge £26 just to look at them!

Vets seem to be all about money these days...years ago we had a wonderful vet who wouldn't charge you unless she had to and then she would only charge what it cost to buy meds...sadly another company took over and they charge through roof! When I went to have my cat put down at 9pm in evening a few mths ago they wanted to charge £60 coz it was out of hrs...I was hysterical after just losing my cat so threw £30 at him and said sue me for rest....thankfully he didn't but now I need to go vets now I'm thinking he won't see me till I pay up!....wish they had a PDSA in Newport :(

I'm not going to think about putting her to sleep just yet...going to see if she gets better first...thank you so much for your support girls....I will let you know how she gets on xxxx

I ended up paying £27.50 at the vets for Pro kolin :) I wouldn't be without some in the house now, can't stand doggy diarhhoe sp.

Made hubby clear the last lot up last week lol, been a while since Skye has had it but holy wotsits it was bad lol :) xxx

Last edited:
I ended up paying £27.50 at the vets for Pro kolin :) I wouldn't be without some in the house now, can't stand doggy diarhhoe sp.

Made hubby clear the last lot up last week lol, been a while since Skye has had it but holy wotsits it was bad lol :) xxx

OMG that is expensive!!! Fingers crossed this fasting works coz I cannot afford that much!

I tell you it's been a nightmare! 4 days ago I seperated her from my other dogs and put her in hallway. Next day I went shopping and was out for about 4hrs (left bf in with a cold) when I came home it was like a poo bomb had gone off....I went berserk with bf for not noticing..he said his nose was blocked so he didn't smell it!

It was everywhere, it looked like she been rolling around in it! BF took her upstairs for a bath while I cleaned up, took me hour! So had to put her back out kitchen...however last two mornings I have had to get up at 8am to another poo bomb!!

I was supposed to having new flooring put down yesterday and day before and then today but now they are coming back tomorrow...I really hope she gets well soon...I can't handle getting up at 8am and spending hour cleaning it up! Litrally not a space on the floor that ain't covered...I'm at my witts end!

Add to that my bichon haves a litter of puppies in less than two weeks (I'm soooo not prepared) so I really hope she doesn't get sick too :wall2:

So sorry to hear that. My mum had a 10 year old Rottweiler, who started going down hill, she couldn't control her bladder any more and dropped alot of weight. My mum couldn't face having her put down, but the dog when round wanting stokes of everyone and my mum knew it was time. We went to the phone box to call the vet to put her to sleep and when we got back we found she had managed to get upstairs ( which she hadn't done for weeks) and died peacefully in her favorite place.

I had to make the terrible decision to have my horse put to sleep, not a dog I no, but he was put down by injection, and it was very peaceful and quick.

Have you tried putting a nappy on her? that will stop you having to clean it off the floor and should keep her from rolling in it.

I was going to suggest scrambled egg-works wonders with my dog.

I know this has nothing to with pregnancy but I really need to share...I am balling my eyes out and can't seem to stop.

I have 15yr old staffordshire terrier. The last few days she has had terrible diarrhea and I have been getting up to it smeared everywhere as she is walking in it. She is going blind, deaf and often stands in the corner facing the wall for ages at a time..also wanders in circles. Everything she eats is going through her and she is losing weight.

I don't get paid until the 12th Jan to take her to vets so I have been trying to to do the best I can for her at home.

I have been reading up on when to put your dog to sleep and it is killing me...I love her so much and cannot imagine life without her...I'm in bits. I know it is the right thing to do but I just can't bring myself to kill my dog...that's how I see it....even though I know it's for the best.

I've not had good experiences with putting animals to sleep as earlier this year I lost two cats to poisoning and had to have them both put to sleep...it wasn't quick and peaceful....it took way too long and was very stressful for cats. My fear is that the same thing will happen to Honey and her last moments will be of me hurting her....I really can't handle this this...

Has anyone had to put their old dog to sleep...how do you cope?

ITs so hard!!! i agree :-(((

I got up this morning to just 1 poop still runny but not as bad as it was. She fasted for 24hrs and then at 12 today I fed her scrambled egg and pasta and she wolfed it down. She has spent most of the day sleeping. I'm going to continue with the pasta and egg for a few days then get her some senior dog food and try and build her up as she lost so much weight. Hopefully she will make a full recovery and we can have her with us for a while longer :)

brown rice and veg, boiled potatoes, chicken. all natural stuff should help her.

Yay for only 1 poop :)

Just goes to show sometimes it pays to wait :) xxxx

No poop today YAY! She seems much brighter now has a really big appetite too so that's a good sign :)

I just put some pics up of my doggies in photos section :)

Last edited:
TeeUk glad ur dog is feel better, its horrible when they are ill, and they cant tell ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back