So scared that HCG isn't dropping quickly enough

The_Berry

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've gone through quite a drawn-out miscarriage and I'm so scared that my HCG isn't dropping fast enough and that something is wrong. Nearly all of the tissue I've passed has been analysed and no signs of molar tissue have been found. Can anybody look at my timeline below and tell me what they think?

15 Aug - found out at 12 week scan that baby had died 8/9 weeks
Over the next couple of weeks I took misoprostol twice, but had retained tissue
8 Sept - I guess my HCG is around 150, based on a Clear Blue weeks indicator test
13 Sept - I have an MVA and scan confirms all clear
17 Sept - I pass a 3cm bit of tissue (not blood clot) that that MVA and scan somehow missed, along with a bit of bleeding
18 Sept - first blood test and HCG is 18
21 Sept - second blood test and HCG still 18!
27 Sept - third blood test and HCG is 11
2 Oct - fourth blood test and HCG is 7

Throughout this I've been monitoring at home with First Response tests, and am still getting faint positives. I know that First Response tests are much more sensitive than advertised (I know a couple of people have said they've got positives with a blood HCG of 2), so I can accept this. However, this morning I took what was supposed to be a 10miu test (internet cheapie) and got a very faint positive! Just now, more hydrated, I'm getting a negative on the 10miu test.

However, I'm finding it so hard to believe that a test designed to pick up 10miu could be picking up a blood HCG of 7, even if I'm dehydrated. I'm so scared that my HCG has plateaued or gone up and that something is wrong.

I'm having another blood test today and will get the results tomorrow but I'm just going crazy with anxiety.

Thank you all,

Jenny

Hi jenny i didnt want to read and run. Sorry to hear about your mc its do devasting when i happens and hard waiting for body to return to normal. I had a mmc and mva on 22/9 so been reading a lot about when hcg should drop. Ive read it can take several weeks to return to 0. It sounds like if youre only getting faint positives with fmu on a 10miu test then your levels are almost back to 0. I took a 20miu test and had faint positive on a 10miu for a few days then it came back negative. Try doing another 10miu in a couple of days and if still faint positive as GP to look at your hcg again....is there any chance you could have conceived? Thats the only other reason i know of if hcg inceasing and getting positive on hpt...?? Good luck x

Thanks Melly. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I seem to only get the faint positive when I'm dehydrated. It just seems to be taking so long to reach 0, and I don't want to plateau or rise even if I am only at about 7 or 10 or something. It makes me scared I have some sort of cancer :( If you don't mind me asking, have you had your first period since your miscarriage?

Hi berry..no ive not had period since. I had mmc on 15/9 and mva 22/9. Think im ovulating today and expect period in two weeks roughly but know this may be later due to hormones being all over the place weve dtd every other day since last weds (day after i stopped bleeding). It is very likely that your hormones are still all over the place so you need yo alloe yourself time for them to settle. If your hcg is low enough you will probably ovulate so worth watching out for the signs but be careful if using opks as these can still pick ip hcg and give you false positives. If youre still worried i would talk to your GP as they can hopefully reassure you that what you are going through is very normal after a mc xx

Hi sorry to hear this. My hcg took ages to drop also. No one really knew what to do with me. My next AF was horrible. Just like more clots and tissue but it dropped finally. I never had medication or intervention and it was over a month to get HCG to 0 from 6 week pregnant.

Feel for you hun x

Hey, I hope you get some resolve soon < 3 xx

Last edited:
Are you sure there&#8217;s no way you&#8217;re pregnant?

Just an update... eventually my HCG dropped to 2, and I got my period. It took weeks though and I still have no idea why! I stopped tracking after that so I don't know what it is now but I've had my periods regularly since, even though they're a bit different from how they used to be.

I must have ovulated when my HCG was about 5, based on the timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back