so ladies, whats your dummy rules??

flexilexi394

Reaction score
Sofia wouldnt settle tonight so i ended up giving her a dummy :blush: and she went straight to sleep!

Should i only use it when needed to settle? if she will self settle i guess i dont let her have the dummy?

What do all you guys do? x

Charley only has a dummy if he's getting tired during the day. I won't let him have it during the night but I'm starting to think about the dummy trick to see if he'll go longer at night but only if he wakes too soon.

I don't have one - if she wants it she can have it - she's too little to be wanting it for anything other than comfort.

Having said that, she doesn't get upset if I take it away. One thing I have done is bought 6 all the same and leave them all around the house so that she doesn't get attached to one particular colour over another - there is no preference involved and therefore less attachment. One of the many secrets I learnt in teacher training!

My mum said that's what she did with all 4 of us until we were old enough to understand that we didn't need it all the time and she never had any problem with taking them away.

i dont have one but h doesnt even fall asleep with a bottle in his mouth! when he wants to settle though he does like his head to be touching something soft!!

my lo LOVES his dummy. my mil made a comment that every picture shes seen "hes got his dummy shoved in" ...which is quite true eeek. im trying not to give it to him too much, he settles better at night with it and then as soon as he is fast asleepi take it out! if he stirs in thenight i pop it back in which means i get another hour or so of sleep!!!! all the dummies he has are prthodontic so im not too worried, i will deffo wean him off it but babies sometimes need it..when i was bf my boobs were being used just for comfort not for feeding which is why i started giving it to him!!

I give him his dummy when he wakes up at night if it been less than 3hrs since his last feed, he then usually sleep for a while longer. In the day I tend not to give him the dummy unless were out somewhere and he's 'starving' and screaming the place down.

I think just do what you want flexi - when he was really small we used a dummy to help improve his sucking action and then I thought that we wouldn't have dummys at home, but one night he just wouldn't settle and the dummy was a god send. xxxx

Evelyn never took to one. When I tried to give her it she'd open her mouth wide open as if accepting the boob and then she'd clamp down, the spit the dummy out as if to say "That's not booby!" so she's never had one.
She puts herself to sleep after her last feed too :)

Evelyn never took to one. When I tried to give her it she'd open her mouth wide open as if accepting the boob and then she'd clamp down, the spit the dummy out as if to say "That's not booby!" so she's never had one.
She puts herself to sleep after her last feed too :)

Snap i tried giving Tegan one But she screamed the house down! anybody would thought i was giving her the worst thing ever lol x

Tried it, but Isla wasn't impressed so never bothered again. She self soothes in the night. It hasn't been easy though. She loves to suck her hands and anyone she meets when they hold her hand she drags their fingers to her mouth!!

Do what's right for you xx

Chloe has one every now and then but not a lot she I not a huge fan and will only have one on her terms she like it on the school run for example lol

We use ours for more sleep purposes (been a god send in the night to resettle) as soon as he nods off I take it out. We have on occasion used it when he's being grumpy too...I find as he's getting older it's needed less.

We were just using it now and again but since Lizzie had her jabs she's got really attached to it and has it in whenever she wants. I find it great for when you haven't got time to spend ages soothing them - giving Lizzie a dummy gets the same result straightaway as if I were to rock her for 20 minutes! It's like she gets instant sleepiness lol :)
I do still leave her to self soothe most nights though, or take her dummy away just before I put her down, otherwise she'll wake up and cry when it falls out.

Thanks everyone. I just used it last night to get her off to sleep and it worked. She won't take it now! So I think I'll stick to using it if she won't settle. X

We had been using it for night sleeps and nap times. Unfortunately we got into the habit of giving him it every time he got fussy during the day so I made it clear to everyone that it was only for when he's tired and bed times. 9 out of 10 times he'll spit it out as soon as he's in a deep sleep.
I also read it can reduce the risk of cot death if they go to sleep sucking. http://fsid.org.uk/page.aspx?pid=417 But as with any, guidelines are just that, do what suits you and your baby!!

Ta. Well she is starting to fight sleep during the day so she just cries and her eyes roll and she goes all floppy but she just cries through the tiredness! So I just used it after 20 mins of crying and voila she's asleep. Lol.

I do that lexi! Charley normally has his to help him go to sleep during the day. They tend to fight their sleep more during the day than night!

Alex has one when he is being nursed to sleep or after a bottle as he loves to suck but he doesnt have one in unless he whinges for it.

Aoibheann gets one for nap time during the day . Thats about it really and now that she has so many teeth i'm trying to cut it out totally

I'm using one if he's using my nipple as a dummy (and soaking me with milk in the process) or if were out in car/pram and not able to get him out for cuddle/feed-it buys me another 10 mins xx

I attmpted to take the dummy off Paige about 2 weeks ago because she was ill and so couldnt use the dummy anyway, but it seems shes learnt to pick it up and put it in herself. She'll even look for it and scoot herself over to it if she sees one lol. Its a case of, if she sees it, she has it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back