Smoking relapse

Tillyboo1820

Reaction score
Hi,

I gave up smoking when we were trying to conceive. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and have no idea why but i totally relapsed today and smoked a few cigarettes. I am now absolutely riddled with guilt and am so scared I will be the cause of something terrible happening to our baby. I absolutely have no intention to ever do this again as this feeling is unbearable. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and if anyone has any reassurance. Feel so scared.

Hi,

I gave up smoking when we were trying to conceive. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and have no idea why but i totally relapsed today and smoked a few cigarettes. I am now absolutely riddled with guilt and am so scared I will be the cause of something terrible happening to our baby. I absolutely have no intention to ever do this again as this feeling is unbearable. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and if anyone has any reassurance. Feel so scared.

Hi @Tillyboo1820 as an ex smoker myself I know it can be so hard! I relapsed after the birth of my baby and again when she was around a year old. While I have not smoked whilst pregnant I know people that have smoked all the way through with very little consequence to them and baby has been fine to reassure you. But there absolutely are risks to smoking during pregnancy and you should definitely avoid it going forward. You can speak to your midwife about support quitting smoking during pregnancy x

Hi @Tillyboo1820 as an ex smoker myself I know it can be so hard! I relapsed after the birth of my baby and again when she was around a year old. While I have not smoked whilst pregnant I know people that have smoked all the way through with very little consequence to them and baby has been fine to reassure you. But there absolutely are risks to smoking during pregnancy and you should definitely avoid it going forward. You can speak to your midwife about support quitting smoking during pregnancy x

Thanks. I will certainly not be doing it again and haven't done for 4 months. Just so worried that I will have triggered something awful.

Thanks. I will certainly not be doing it again and haven't done for 4 months. Just so worried that I will have triggered something awful.

I had a zero nicotine vape lying around for if I felt I needed something but honestly couldn’t even bring myself to try it as I’d only quit again about 6 months before conceiving. It helped me knowing I’d got something there x

I used to smoke a pack a day, and did so for about 13 years. I have been smoke free for 7 years now and I stopped by reading Easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr. I never felt the need to smoke again either, it's very strange!
Maybe you can get a copy online or from the library? Good luck hun! I know it's hard because I tried loads of other things before I was able to quit permanently!x

I’ll hold my hands up and admit with my second pregnancy I smoked not lots but anything is massive during pregnancy.
We were very lucky our boy has no health issues.
i will say the help out there from a midwife regarding smoking is literally just stop. Which I did the minute I found out I was pregnant. My issue like you was that I had one after weeks and weeks of stopping purely because I actually felt really unwell and kept passing out. I went to see my Gp and he put it down to the smoking and actually recommended that I hadn’t have gone cold turkey and to have cut down even while pregnant!! I had a couple when I really felt like I was unwell which didn’t last long. This time round I’ve prepared myself and completely quit before falling pregnant but I just want to wish you all the best & that it really is a case of if you really want to you will quit and that one cigarette that you believe will just be one won’t be. If you can do weeks you can do months! I’m currently on the niquitin patches and I genuinely don’t even want one while using these so maybe worth a chat with the midwife about using something. All the best x

I’ll hold my hands up and admit with my second pregnancy I smoked not lots but anything is massive during pregnancy.
We were very lucky our boy has no health issues.
i will say the help out there from a midwife regarding smoking is literally just stop. Which I did the minute I found out I was pregnant. My issue like you was that I had one after weeks and weeks of stopping purely because I actually felt really unwell and kept passing out. I went to see my Gp and he put it down to the smoking and actually recommended that I hadn’t have gone cold turkey and to have cut down even while pregnant!! I had a couple when I really felt like I was unwell which didn’t last long. This time round I’ve prepared myself and completely quit before falling pregnant but I just want to wish you all the best & that it really is a case of if you really want to you will quit and that one cigarette that you believe will just be one won’t be. If you can do weeks you can do months! I’m currently on the niquitin patches and I genuinely don’t even want one while using these so maybe worth a chat with the midwife about using something. All the best x

Thanks. I honestly know that I won't have another while pregnant as the guilt and worry I have had over the few I had yesterday has been horrendous and so not worth it. I'm just worried that this one day of smoking would have done damage which I can't undo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back