Smoking day before ERPC

susan_1981

Reaction score
I'm booked in for my ERPC tomorrow morning. My question is, before I got pregnant, I was a smoker, gave up as soon as I got my BFP but when I found out I'd had a missed miscarriage on Tuesday, I went back to smoking. Know I shouldn't have but I couldn't help it. Anyway, I hadn't planned on smoking today but, as I'm quite nervous about my op, I have smoked. Just wondered if anyone else here smoked the day before an ERPC and was ok? The doctor didn't mention anything about smoking when she booked me in (albeit I hadn't told her I started again), she just said to not eat from midnight the night before.

I had a full medical back in August when I was a full time smoker and she told me my lungs and heart sounded completely normal.

I've smoked before surgical procedures before and been completely ok with the anaesthetic/recovery etc. It's just eating before your op they don't advise but I think that's only because you'll be really sick :puke: afterwards.

Hope all goes well tomorrow. :hug:

Thanks. You are the second person now that I know has smoked before surgery and be fine. Hopefully, it's just a case of it you are generally healthy, you'll have no problems. I just heard it can cause breathing difficulties or blood clots. Well I've never suffered breathing problems and I haven't actually smoked long anyway. I only smoked for about 2 years before I got my BFP. My husband keeps telling me not to worry. He said to imagine how many people have to go under general anaesthetic in an emergency situation. So fingers crossed. I just want to get tomorrow out of the way so I can move on and get trying again!

That's very true, there must be hundreds of people going through emerg procedures each week who smoke and they never have any ill effects. Plus, your procedure won't take very long so the risk is even less, it's when you're under for a long time that there can be complications and on recovery if you can't get up and about straight away.

You'll be ok sweetie I have no doubt :hug:

We decided to try straight away without waiting as there's no guarantee I'll get pregnant so quickly after the m/c. Good luck!

I googled this to try and help and I read about Kerry Katona. She smoked before she had her lipo and breast reduction op. She was under the knife for 8 hours! I'm sure if she was ok for 8 hours, then I'll be ok for the 15 minute op.

I can't wait to start trying again but don't want to obsess this time. I've heard so many times you are more fertile after a MC. It worked for my SIL, she had pretty much the same thing as I did. A MMC and then an ERPC and then got pregnant straight away with my nephew who is now 6. I know other people haven't been so lucky but I hold out a lot of hope xxx

try not to worry hun.
My mum was a big time smoker and had to have an op for a blocked artery....she stopped after the op.

maybe just try not to have one before you go now? Iv never been a smoker but im guessing thats gonne be easier said than done.

hope it goes as wel as it can hun :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes iv heard that about being more fertile too hun, if yu feel ready to TTC again go for it hun :) xxx

Take care

I had a spinal op when I was 18 and was under for 4hrs then bedridden for 7 days afterwards. I smoked like a chimney and I was fine afterwards. Actually, I think I was a smoker for all the procedures i have had and apart from being as sick as a dog after anaesthetic I've been ok.

I'm with you on trying again straight away. And as they say ~ new sperm, new egg this time round. My midwife said the other day it's almost like your body doesn't know what it's supposed to be doing for the first one, which is why such a high percentage end in m/c but the likelihood of the next one being ok is very high and that's what gives me hope.

Since I had my m/c I've had lots of friends tell me they had the exact same thing with their first pregnancy but have gone on to have healthy children with no problems since.

Here's to our new years bfps!! :hug: xx

Thanks so much for your replies. Makes me feel much better. I think I'll try not to smoke after 8pm tonight. I have to go in at 7.30am tomorrow and then just wait until I'm done.

And also thanks for telling me to go for it with TTC. I'm getting a bit fed up of ppl keep telling me that I should wait a few months because I don't want to. If it happens again (God forbid) then I will wait but hopefully it won't come to that. And I do wonder if the doctors just say to wait between 1 and 3 months just to make their lives easier to be able to date me.

I was also told that I wouldn't get an early scan next time as this was my first miscarriage and apparently 1 in 3 (or 5 can't remember) early pregnancies end in this. So what I'm planning on saying anyway (assuming I fall again quickly) is that I never had a period after my MC so that hopefully they'll send me for a dating scan. I don't think a little white lie will hurt anyone x

I'm sure they only recommend waiting because of you getting over the m/c and healing both emotionally and physically. I did think about waiting but I feel ready to try again so we're going for it. The dr at the hospital said there was no medical reason not to start straight away and I don't want to waste the fact i'm more fertile now ~ even though there's no guarantee I'll get pregnant any quicker! You have to do what feels right for you; you know your body better than anyone else.

I thought i'd still be grieving but actually, although I'm sad it happened I'm not feeling sad anymore, if that makes sense. It has helped in that there never was a baby ~ I had a blighted ovum so nothing ever developed past the bunch of cells phase. As you say, 1 in 5 first pregnancies end in m/c and it wasn't meant to happen this time but there's nothing to say the next time won't go fine.

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you :hug: xx

Like whats been said hun its just a matter of giving you time to heal mentally and physically. In all honesty i personally think it takes a lot longer mentally than one month to get over it anyway. If its not ment to happen straight away it wont.
Good luck i hope it happens quick for you. Took us 7 months of trying from 2 months after the first MC

Well I had my ERPC today. As I said, I smoked yesterday, although not too heavily. Went for my op today and everything went well. Had no problems after so all I can say is I'm glad it's over, I hope I never have to go through anything like that again and roll on 2009.

Hi hun,
I'm so glad all went well today, I was wondering how you'd got on.

Have a good rest & take care. Here's to a better 2009.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

glad it went well. i was gonna say, i'd have thought they'd tell u if u cant smoke just like they tell u u cant eat. good luck with ttc :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back