Smiling

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I had asked questions about this in other threads but lost them!

At what age do you think baby should smile at you? My baby book says at eight weeks she should be able to smile back at your smile. Naomi's 7 weeks, her corrected age is more like four. She isn't smiling socially, really. I have seen her smile twice, when I thought they might be social but I'm not sure - and it was not in response to a smile, but in response to a touch on her face.

She DOES respond to sound and will turn her head in the direction of my voice, so I feel that she knows when I'm there, but she doesn't track things yet, though she does focus and look around sometimes. It's quite funny to watch because you would swear she knew when her surroundings were different. She holds her head up and looks all around.

I'm just a bit worried that she's not smiling socially yet, and that she's not grasping things or reaching out for them, though the books say she should be. Should I be stimulating her more at this age or should I just be letting her have quiet wakeful time between sleeps?

Sue

Hunnie - PUT DOWN THAT BOOK!

Stuff what the book says honestly. It can take these early babies a bit longer to grasp the concept of social activities. Damien has only just really started smiling and he was 9.5 weeks old. She will get it soon I promise, one day she will shock you. It took me days of sitting there facing Damien in the short few burts he was awake saying "are you gonna smile" and making a big smiley happy face too. After 15minutes on one attempt he did it, then did it quite a few times after too. I know it's hard when everyone elses baby smiles already and your baby is a late bloomer, especially when books say they should do this that or the other.

So to your question "what age should they smile at you?"...when they are ready to. Damien doesn't reach out and grasp things either. As for stimulation, I spend some of Damien's 'awake time' chatting and playing with him, other times I leave him on his play mat or in his bouncer under a toy arch. He just stares at them but it's still all learning. I personally refuse to read any book or e-mail about what Damien should be doing for his actual or corrected age. He is a happy and healthy baby and that's all that matters. I know books can be reassuring, but your baby is an individual, not a statistic that most books go by.

I hope you and little Naomi are both well. xxx

Sami said:
Hunnie - PUT DOWN THAT BOOK!

LOL I love it when I scroll down and someone says EXACTLY what I was going to say hehehe.

Rubie is 9 weeks old, 6 weeks corrected age, and she can smile in response to a smile and she also smiles when I touch her face. She is not yet reaching out to grab things, her movements are still really random. She has not discovered her hands yet, even though the book say she should, but in other ways she was really advanced, ie holding her head up etc. Stuff the books, they will all get there eventually.

alana is near on 5 months and shes not been that long at grabbing out to things, still alot of the time shes misses lol but when she does get a grip on it she wont let go lol but she is sitting up on her own. different things will happen at different times for every baby, just enjoy every little thing they do because time does go too fast,

:D

I can't believe it! The morning after I posted the start of this thread, I was talking to Naomi after her feed and stroking her little nose like I usually do. She made a funny little face, but this time when I laughed, she laughed too! Her face lit up in the biggest smile you have ever seen and she did it three or four times before she felt she HAD to remind me that she had a lot of poo to offload...

I mean, we have to take care of business too!

:lol:

Thanks for the advice girls...I promise, the book will be burned soon.

Sue

BURN IT, BURN IT, BURN IT!!! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Naomi, gummy smiles are just the best aren't they?!

When are you gonna post some more pics Sue? I'm dying to see how much she has changed. From what I remember she is an angel :D

Yay Naomi :D , I think they know how to make us concerned then will do something as if to say "honestly, what's all the fuss??". Sue I agree with what everyone else says, those development milestones should only be a very very rough guide, my HV told me no to worry if it takes Seren a bit longer to sit up, walk etc as the stages are not set in stone. Seren can hold her head really steady when sitting up but put her on her tummy and she all of a sudden has the floppiest neck ever, just cannot be bothered I think (she hates being on her tum so I think that this is her way of telling me not to bother).

Can't wait to see a pic of her smile soon xx

Just like Rubie, Kim!

Now that you mention it, I have left it a little haven't I? Here is from her christening day...though it's sort of a pic of me because OH was taking the pic...

Doesn't she look like a little pioneer baby with the bonnet?

2006_0205Feb70001.jpg

More next post.

Sue

Okies...here are a good few taken with the mobile phone, of all her best expressions.

No smiles though, I haven't managed to capture those yet!

:D

blue_steel.jpg

Anyone who ever saw the movie "Zoolander", I call this one "Blue Steel" *L*

hmmm.jpg

Yes, but is it evil?

humanity.jpg

Oh the humanity....After her bath...she loves water, really.

nay-chan.jpg

My little hunny bunny.

boring.jpg

Boring!

what_u_talki.jpg

What you talkin' bout, Willis?

*L* Hope these work. Must get some more recent ones mailed to the PC.

Sue

She is gorgeous, had to laugh at the Blue Steel expression. Naomi has a great pout xx

OMG she's absolutely adorable, you have a right cutie there Sue!! That first picture is a classic!! Great to see her, keep them coming! I'm itching to post more of Rubie but I know you will all be sick of seeing her!!

she is gorgous u must be so proud

kim we dont ever get bored of baby picks so POST away

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back