Slings... oooooh

crackers24

Reaction score
I'm just browsing the net for slings. Are all slings really really expensive :eek: or have i been looking in the wrong places?

Also, which is best for breastfeeding in?

Thanks. xxx

I would guess a ring sling would be best for breast feeding in.

You can get good ones for under £50: http://www.bigmamaslings.co.uk/zen-cart ... 10_48.html That may seem expensive but you want good qualilty so that it is comfortable and supportive for you.

That said, you could also breastfeed in a soft structured carrier, a wrap or a meitai. Have a look at the website I linked to above to see different types of carriers. Also babywearing forums are wealth of information!

I wear Esme more than use her pushchair so pound for pound in usage my wrap has been much better value :D

aramintalovegrove said:
I wear Esme more than use her pushchair so pound for pound in usage my wrap has been much better value :D

Agreed! £50 mei tai, versus £500 unwieldy travel system :/

bump

I've been thinking about getting a sling so that I can breastfeed in public with these slings as its more discrete and I've read that a lot of you ladies do it. I want to be able to breastfeed in public but having found a way which gives me the confidence and this seems like a great idea.

So which ones are best for breastfeeding in? i had a look and just don't know where to start.... :think:

I would agree with Kalia, my ring sling was invaluable for breastfeeding in when Eden was a newborn, up until about 3 months when she got too big for it and was a bit squashed up lying crossways in it. From then on I have used my wrap to bf in, which took some major practice to get right but now we have it sussed! You can get cheaper versions of popular slings if you shop about or there is always second hand ones on ebay etc. I never use my ring sling anymore so would be willing to sell it if anyone wants one? As for my wrap I bought it from ebay for about £15 I think, and it has already had its money's worth, we use it everyday! :D x

:hug:

Ive just got a RS and I wish I had had it sooner, highly reccommended for BF and cradle carries, es is 14lb and its still very comfy/easy to do it and I can see it being useful right up till she is a toddler. I like the RS better than my Close for BF, its a better position and feels more secure plus you are very hidden. She also looks so so cute in a kangaroo carry! its also great for quickly popping somewhere like paying for petrol, school run in the car etc.

The site Kalia has put a link to is fab and there forum is amazing for education in wearing. I have a zolowear ringsling and its fab, my top tips are make sure you get a strong woven fabric (so that it is supportive right up to toddler) a good amount of material in the shoulder to spread it wide for comfort, measure yourself to make sure you get the right size and try not to get hooked!!!

personally I like RS/MT's/ssc as Im not confdent on my wrapping abilities and dont think my DH would get it at all, but I think it just takes practise if you did want to opt for that style of carrier.

If your not sure then get yourself to a sling meet to try a few out, some of the babywearers on there have many wonderful types of carriers and will more than definatley want to show you how to wear/let you pratice :D

Carriers do seem costly for a 'bit of material' but you need good quality and well made for saftey, some of the cheap ebay ones worry me that they will be too thin and wear out fast/not be supportive enough. Initial outlay will mean a good carrier you can use right up to LO being a toddler (and any siblings too!!) Honestly I have not used my pushchair more than 5 times since Es was born and that was only because it was too wet to wear/I was ill/hubby insisted, its just so much easier to wear her and if you dont like the carrier they sell on very well :)

I had a ring sling from 12 weeks and was easy to breastfeed, til she got too heavy and i couldn't position it right anymore. I moved onto a wrap sling and that was easy to breastfeed in too.
Ebay have some cheap, brand new ones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back