Slightly lopsided head

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering whether any of your babies have a slightly lopsided head as Elliott's is definitely as bit squished where he lies with his head either looking up or looking to the right. Have any of you discussed it with HVs or Drs and is there anything I can do other than putting him in a range of sitting/lying positions during the day?

Thanks!
+++

Aimees is slightly flat down one side where she has been lying! I'm not to worried as my first had this where her head went flat down the back but it corrected its self once she started sitting up on her own

I've been really worried about this aswell as Ella's is quite flat on one side and she struggles to put it on the otherside (well doesn't unless I move her head and then she screams at me!). The HV said it's fine and that don't I prefer to sleep on one side of my head. He also did this thing with her head to make sure she could turn it.

Dunno if u can tell much on photo but Reece's head is really flat.

I've asked so many docs about it but they all said the same- "his hair will hide it eventually"!!!(As Reece has my thick curly mop of hair i can guess that he'd never want it any other style than shaved!)

I finally found a doc that is willing to check it out so Reece at hosp on March 7th.

IMGA0648.jpg

Hey

Isaac's head is flat at the back on one side and its not where he lies because its been like it since birth. I thought at first that the forceps had flattened it but the HV won't have it and says its perfectly normal.

Lou :)

I have a special crib matress for preventing this apparently but as she spends most of her time in my bed I don't think it'll do too much. Will try and find the name of it.

Naomi's head is slightly flatter on one side at the top, I assume because of the way she lay inside...she always seemed to like lying on one side in utero - and seems to still like it. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't start turning her head to the left instead of the right when I lie her down - don't want her to get a spinal curve, like me.

Sue

I brought this up with the HV again this week and was told that it was normal and if I looked at bald people they had funny shaped heads. I don't think he's taking me seriously, Ella will not lie on the other side of her head or with it flat (she can't lie flat as the angle the flatness has made her head makes it roll to the side). DH said that we will have to make an appointment to see the HV together and really make them see that we aren't happy with the reaction we are getting. Her head is deformed!

I'm at the hosp with reece on tue about his head and i'm dreading it cos i'm very shy and i can't argue with anyone so if the doc says there's nothing they can do i'll prob just agree, even though i know he is really deformed. :cry:

To make it worse the only doc that would listen to me is foreign and i cant understand a word he says! :(
IMGA0713.jpg

My poor little babe

Hearts81, a friend's baby has plagiocephaly (flat head) and they have been arguing with their Dr to get a helmet fitted. However he has been reluctant as he also believes that the condition will sort itself out when baby is a year old. I tend to go along with what the Dr says but what I find helps me is to read up on it, and go prepared with questions about ifferent treatmnents and demand answers. It is horrible to talk to your Dr but if you are concerned about Reece's head you have a right to know all the pros and cons of treatment etc. If you are having difficulty understanding the Dr could you not ask if a nurse or someone else could interpret what is being said, I am sure the Dr may have had other patients who have requested this if his accent is difficult to understand. Good luck on Tues. I have putin some links for you xx

TUMMY TIME

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta suggests several practices to encourage "Tummy Time."

-- Lay your baby against your shoulder, facing you. This "snuggle time" will encourage your baby to lift its head and look at you.

-- Lie on your back and hold your baby on your chest, facing you. This, too, encourages your baby to lift its head.

-- Place your baby over your lap.

-- Alternate the hip your baby straddles when carrying your baby. This encourages turning, looking and balancing.

-- Hold your baby out in front and facing you.

-- Frequently alternate the arms you use to hold your baby.

-- Change the position of a car seat to encourage the baby to look in different directions.

-- For sleeping, lay your baby to sleep on its back until the baby can roll independently to both sides. Place your baby at the opposite end of the crib every other night.

-- When diapering, alternate the position of your baby on the changing table.

-- For playtime, lie on the floor and face the baby. Help your baby push up on elbows. Place toys in front of your baby to encourage reaching.

BABY NO-NOS

-- Do not place babies on tummies for sleeping! Even though doctors have seen an increasing number of misshapen heads, back sleeping has cut down on SIDS deaths dramatically.

-- Do not leave babies in car seat carriers or other infant seats when not in the car.

-- Do not keep babies in swings and other seats in the same position for extended periods.

-- Do not leave babies' heads unstabilized when in a car seat or infant carrier.
from http://www.coxnetspecialedition.com/se/ ... heads.html

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_ ... ly_p2.html

http://www.cranialtech.com/

Thanks so much Beanie i'm gonna sit down and have a proper read of them tomorrow xxx

Would feel a bit cheeky asking for help interpretating doc so i dont think i would have the nerve :oops:

Thanks again :D

Went to the hosp today. I had read up loads on plagiocephaly (thanks beanie) so i was ready with loads of questions but the docs answer to each of them was "he'll be ok when he gets older"!!!- actually he kept calling Reece she!

He said to come back in 6 months to get it checked again. I think in 6 months his head will be just as deformed and it will be unfixable by then. Apparently its easier to get it sorted when the babies are under 10 months.

So we are gonna try to save up and take Reece to the clinic in London and hopefully get him seen to before he's 10 months.

Abi had a flat head on the one side but as soon as she started moving her head to sleep it went to normal sheape, she had a stiff neck from the birth and always favoured the one side but i did some neck stretches on her and she's now fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back