Head control/hating tummy time

badgergirl

Reaction score
Sprog hates tummy time. With a vengeance. I've tried to distract him (screams), lie him on me (screams because he can see my boobs, so wants to comfort suck), lie him on OH (screams), cuddle up next to him (screams) and play with him (screams). To compensate, I carry him around upright, giving him the minimum head support he requires, or sit him upright (same), and I can see that he's gaining control slowly, but it still lolls forwards, and sometimes to the side. He has difficulty in turning his head when he's upright (though it's fine when he's on his back) - it sort of judders slowly round, and sinks into his shoulders.

He had his 6 week check yesterday (at 11 weeks, apparently they have a backlog...) and the doctor said they should have head control by 3 months, but wasn't helpful in either comforting me that Sprog's head control is normal for his age, or whether it should be better. The fact that he's going to be 3 months in 2 weeks worries me, as I think it'd have to improve dramatically to reach this milestone.

I'm having a bit of a neurotic week anyway :wall: so I'd be interested to know when your babies managed to control their own heads - and any suggestions for how I might either help Sprog strengthen his neck muscles without tummy time, as he gets SO distressed, or how I might make it more enjoyable for him.

Just remember that it's not set in stone - some sources say babies don't have full head control until 6 months! Every baby is different. :hug:

My LO hates tummy time with a passion though now she's rolling she's ending up on her tummy of her own accord and is less "UMF UMF UMF, I'm SUFFOCATING!" about it! Her head control isn't 100% by any means, she is definitely weaker to one side (and like yours HV wasn't too bothered) but it's improving. At 11 weeks she still had trouble getting her head up if it fell forward, at 14 weeks now she can do it no problem - you'll be surprised how quick it improves, I was!

I like midna's idea of having him upright - I have Becky in the baby carrier a lot and now she's improved enough that she can hold her head up front facing (this would have been unthinkable just 3 weeks ago). Sounds like you're doing great to help. Another thing I did was to prop her up on cushions on her tum and encourage her to spend some time distracted with toys or even a set of keys! She also spends a lot of time looking over my shoulder and I try to get people to talk to her as it makes it allthe more interesting!

He'll be just fine hun! :hug:

Chester detests tummy time too, so so much!!! I want him to look all cute like the bubs on the johnsons wipes but he aint having any of it bless him!

Lola used to really hate tummy time :)

I wouldn't worry too much hun he'll do things in his own time :hug:

Angel has had really good head control since birth, yet she hates tummy time. My nephew on the other hand is 2 weeks younger but will not under any circumstances hold his head up! It's not that he doesn't want to, he just can't. It'll come in time. Some kids take longer in some areas but may be more forward in others. There's no telling.

James really hated tummy time, tried to do it every day but he just screamed and screamed. Now (he's 7 months today), you put him on his back and leave him, and within a minute he's on his front. It's still not his favourite thing but he loves trying to crawl over me and is quite happy if he's distracted. So, it'll come when it comes!

Like Lisa's Angel our LO had a good head control from very early on. Perhaps it was because like Midna I was slinging her a lot in the early days?

LO doesn't like tummy time too much either. She has become a bit better at it recently though (if I catch her in the right mood). Also we have this roll over game which she loves (I got it from http://www.babycentre.co.uk). I put her to lie on her back on the side of the foot of my bed. I then say 'one-two-three' (actually say yksi-kaksi-kolme in my mother tongue) excitedly and then roll her on her tummy. I then count the same and roll her back on her back. I repeat until I get to the other side of the bed. She loves it as she knows that she won't have to stay on her tummy for ages.

Only that I have been a bit cheeky and my 'one-two-three' on her tummy takes much longer to say than on her back!!! I have also started doing this on her gym mat which is a bit harder surface (it is easier to do on a bed) and gives her better practice for head control (?).

if you have a sling do a tummy to tummy carry. this works the same muscles as tummy time but baby doesn't mind it as much. It really helped Cally with her head control

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back