Sleeping on Back

Loveleen

Reaction score
Dear All,

Another query...:) I am 21 weeks currently. I read somewhere that preg. women should not sleep on their back. I normally sleep on my side but during the night I turn on my back as it makes me more comfortable. I am just worried if this is ok and it will not harm the baby anyway..Any thoughts..?

I go to sleep on my side but often wake up on my back.. I'm curious too to know how much of a problem it is..?

I hope it's not too bad, I'm most comfortable on my back!

If you sleep on your back, you put pressure on a large blood vessel, which can make you go dizzy and faint. I think if you are ok if you don't start feeling dizzy. I still sleep on my back and havent had any dizziness or fainting xxx

I think I read somewhere that later on, the weight from baby, placenta etc can cause pressure on important veins and stuff and that's why it can be a problem.
Not sure how likely that is though, just remember reading it! :)

doc told me to raise head a bit if sleeping on back with extra pillow xx

I have never heard of this, but it makes sense actually, I always sleep on my side , and then on my back in the third Trimester , will have to use an extra cushion , thanks

yeah apparently its something to do with your uterus putting pressure on ur blood supply and that in turn can cause dizziness/faintness/sickness, although i dont know what ur spose to do to stop urself turning onto ur back in your sleep :-S

Thanks every one..I will try sleeping on my back but I must admit I am most comfortable on my back..

i think you will sleep which ever way is comfy and the baby will allow and when it becoes difficult you will move in your leep without realsing xx

As long as your are trying not to fall asleep that way but are doing it for part of the night you will be fine hun. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back