• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Slap cheek, update on page 2

Em91

Reaction score
Hi all, I work with children and we have had a couple of children with slap cheek in school this week. ive not come into contact with them.but concerned that I might be affected and it'll cause problems for LO. Midwife wife doesn't work today do you think o should call tomorrow and she what she says? Anyone had any experience of it in pregnancy. x

Last edited:
Never heard of it tbh, but if they're still in school then cant be too contagious or harmful I would of thought.

They've been sent home. midwife mentioned that if you're exposed in pregnancy it can harm the baby when she found out I worked with children.

Hey hun, not sure about this but there is a thread relating to Slap Cheek in 'Pregnancy Chat' x

Just found this:

How do people get Virus B19?

Virus B19 is contagious and is transmitted through breathing in or swallowing infected respiratory secretions, such as spit or saliva. For example, if someone coughs or you happen to touch a tissue with mucous on it and don’t wash your hands immediately afterwards before touching your mouth and nose. Sharing drinking cups can also be a cause. An infected pregnant mother can infect her unborn baby.
Other infections with B19 can arise through infected blood, such as using public toilets where there may be blood on the seat and not washing hands. Infection can occur through blood transfusion, but blood is usually screened for such viruses, or through negligence in infection control. Infected needles used for recreational drug purposes can also be a cause.

On this web site:

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/slappedcheekdis.html

Slap cheek syndrom is dangerous to a fetus - when i had my 2nd pregnancy loss they checked me for slapped cheek syndrome & some other infection.

I would speak with your midwife just to be sure with you being around the kids who have had it. It's for your own reasurrence anyway hun - i know if i worked with kids or come in contact with someone who had it - i would speak with my midwife about it, just to be on the safe side.

x x

10% of women who get slap cheek before their 20th week of pregnancy lose their child.
It can cause severe anaemia in the baby and cause it to have all sorts of health problems if it survives.
I'd stay well away xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I work with children too and had the same situation, I spoke to my midwife and she said its only serious if you catch it and the beginning of pregnancy or at the end. I'd still check with your midwife but try not to worry x

Thanks for all your replies will call Mw in the morning see what she says x

Hi Em, I'm in the same situation. I had to get bloods taken to check for immunity and infection, and I've been signed off. No contact with other kids until we know if I have it. The rash is the last symptom, so other kids could still have it without showing symptoms.

If you have anything else you're not sure about, pm me, I've been doing a heck of a lot of research since finding out on Monday, and I've spoken to the GP, nurse, midwife and obstetric consultant! xx

I work with children too and had the same situation, I spoke to my midwife and she said its only serious if you catch it and the beginning of pregnancy or at the end. I'd still check with your midwife but try not to worry x

It's dangerous to pregnancies prior to 20 weeks, and can result in miscarriage in 10% of all cases. After 20 weeks there is still a risk of hydrops fetalis (fluid in the heart) and anaemia for the baby.

I think there should be more information made available on this, I was shocked to find out it was so dangerous and no one had even mentioned it to me despite knowing I work with young children.

Wow leesey you too - this must be going round by the sounds of it. Hope you both aint got this - when do you get your results for it back hun ?

xx

Wow leesey you too - this must be going round by the sounds of it. Hope you both aint got this - when do you get your results for it back hun ?

xx

Hopefully Friday, but the tests had to be sent away so could be ages xx

OT But another one that is really dangerous during pregnancy is chicken pox, esp if the mother hasn't had it. It can cause deformities and blindness etc Really really serious, but you never hear about this either!

OT But another one that is really dangerous during pregnancy is chicken pox, esp if the mother hasn't had it. It can cause deformities and blindness etc Really really serious, but you never hear about this either!

This is one I knew about, chickenpox is well known for causing problems.

As far as I know though, parvovirus (slapped cheek) is the only one that can cause miscarriage. I think it should be routinely checked for at booking bloods, rubella and measles are both checked for, why isn't their angry friend parvovirus checked for when its consequences appear to be worse??

Madness :(

Spoke to midwife, mines on leave again! so was another one. got an appt at 3. so I can have blood tests etc done. Thanks leesey will remember that. I only knew about it because we have another pregnant woman in school and she told me. Its so unheard of compared to something like chicken pox! FX your bloods come back okay :) x its ridiculous that its not routinely tested for!

Last edited:
Had blood tests done today, FX all will be ok. Should hear on Monday x

Got a call today saying I don't have slap cheek currently but I'm not immune so just got to stay away from germy kids who have it lol. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back