• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sitting unaided before weaning?

ChloeNat

Reaction score
Lyla is just over 4 months by a few days and is showing all the signs of being ready to wean except being able to sit unaided..

She has very strong head control, watches us eat like a hawk, pulls everything within reach to her mouth, chews on my hands and hers and lately very uninterested in her milk! - Will only take a few ounces at a time before screaming (mainly to do with reflux). I know milk is supposed to be main nutrition until 1.

She's had a few tastes of my bananas, chews on them and swallows the bits in her mouth.

I'm trying to hold off on weaning as long as possible but just wondering if babies need to be able to sit unaided before starting to wean?

That's a true sign of weaning, so I'd say yes. Watching you eat is irrelevant as babies watch everything, same with chewing hands.

If she's only just passed 4months, then there's no rush. Current research says its safer to wait till 6months.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Hi Hun, I was so desperate to wean Harry and started at 17 weeks, I thought he was ready but as I've found out since he has an overgrowth disorder so will always be on the bigger and heavier side! I wish I had held off longer and wouldn't do it that early again. It's your decision as her mum though x

Oh and I would agree with l_maclean, being able to sit unaided is important to avoid choking etc x

Thanks girls

As I said I want to wait as long as I can but was just wondering about the sitting unaided thing.

It doesn't have to be totally upright unsupported sitting (Harry didn't do that until 7 months anyway!) if she can sit upright in a high chair that is what I would base it on x

Oh yeah she can sit upright in her high chair by herself.. She sits with us at dinner time xx

I started weaning my son at 4months he was showing the same signs so I knew he was ready. His weight gain is perfect and his midwife is happy with his development. He couldn't sit independently but he sits happily supported in a high chair. He had full head support when I began to wean him. The hv provided me with a booklet that confirms weaning at 4 months is fine, there is no evidence that proves weaning before 6 months makes baby more prone to allergies. Although these claims were made by NHO they have to date failed to provide any supporting evidence or correspondence. However there are accessible reports and study's that show Both renal function and gastrointestinal function are sufficiently mature to metabolise nutrients from four months. This research is available to the public and was published in January 2011 in the British Medical Journal, which called for existing advice on breastfeeding and weaning to be reassessed.
There is also a relevant report by Dr Mary Fewtrell, from the UCL Institute of Child Health, she wrote that babies not exposed at an early age to other tastes - specifically green leafy vegetable - might reject them if left too late. This could lead to iron deficiency and food allergies. The following month a study published in the American journal Pediatrics indicated that weaning between four and six months was best, in terms of minimising the chances of childhood obesity.
I have yet to find adequate research that clearly shows weaning before 6months poses any risk to baby, Ive seen many claims but no supporting evidence. I did lots of research before making the decision to wean my son at 4months as I didn't want to put his Heath at risk. I hope this helps (sorry for the essay) just wanted to give you the information I found incase you wanted to research x

Last edited:
I dont think the age you wean has any influence on childhood obesity, I think its a lack.of basic education about healthy balanced eating amd regular exercise.

I agree with the others that sitting unaided is important, for choking etc x

tapatalking x

agree with the others, but can I just say that bananas can make reflux worse in babies. And also cause constipation!

this is a recent discovery for me too, I was giving LO banana. So i have now cut out all fruit for now in case it makes the acid worse. x

Alyssa was sitting with support when we started weaning, and now that she sits unaided it makes no difference! She still slumps in her high chair just cos she's a lazy bum! We did start weaning with a bumbo seat though, which was much better for upright sitting then we got her high chair when she was 6 months old xx
agree with the others, but can I just say that bananas can make reflux worse in babies. * And also cause constipation!

this is a recent discovery for me too, I was giving LO banana. *So i have now cut out all fruit for now in case it makes the acid worse. x
PS - banana is fine!! A was a refluxy baby (not as bad as yours mind) but she enjoys banana and it's never caused problems. The ones to watch out for in early weaning are the citrus fruits and anything too acidic. Pear is recommended as a first fruit, and steamed apple (soft) is good too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back