Short femur

Rhiandell

Reaction score
I just had the first of my growth scans for twins today and was told they both have short femur.
Anyone else had this? Please share any experience and knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Hi Lisa, i've had this with both my pregnancies now. First baby they weren't too bothered about it and I heard nothing more of it, this time the measurement was out of the normal range completely so they did a growth scan to check after 4 weeks and she'd caught up. Try not to fret - i've put it down to our genes in my case. As it's the longest bone they like to use it as a marker for growth issues but to be honest any of the conditions short femurs 'can' represent probably would have presented itself before now (dwarfism, down's and a few others.) How was their reaction? Are they rescanning? Going off the sonographer's vibes I wasn't too concerned and it turns out baby is just fine. Hope you're ok it's not nice when things like this happen xxx

If they were really worried, they'd arrange for more growth scans. Perhaps they just meant a little on the shorter side? Do you know what the measurements are?

Mine have consistently had quite big tummies and shorter legs, but still within "normal" (apart from once where tummy was over what it should be so they sent me for GTT but that came back fine). They will investigate further if it's a significant growth problem so don't worry if possible xx

DD had short femurs. They were just on the boarder of normal but as she was at the top of the chart with everything else I was a bit worried. She had short legs when she was born and still does but no other problems. My grandmother had short legs so I think she must tale after her.

Thanks girls, feels a little better now.
The sonographer didn't really explain anything, but I got to talk to a doctor later who went into more detail. Because I have pre-eclampsia (yep, official now) they want to monitor the babies closely in case they need to deliver them early. So loads of extra appointments. I will have at least one extra scan in two weeks and they'll also measure the amniotic fluid and umbilical cord flow two times next week.

My DD had a femur on the 25th centile at my 20 week scan and a tummy on the 75th. I was a bit worried, but she came out quite long at 56cm with legs that needed the next size sleepsuit. I also had preeclampsia but not diagnosed till 37 weeks . Had a lot of extra checks and scans as I also had polyhydraminos (too much amniotic fluid). Good that you are being monitored closely and hopefully the babies stay snug for as long as possible.

My DD had a femur on the 25th centile at my 20 week scan and a tummy on the 75th. I was a bit worried, but she came out quite long at 56cm with legs that needed the next size sleepsuit. I also had preeclampsia but not diagnosed till 37 weeks . Had a lot of extra checks and scans as I also had polyhydraminos (too much amniotic fluid). Good that you are being monitored closely and hopefully the babies stay snug for as long as possible.

Thank you! Great to hear some success stories. :)

Not really sure what it means with a short femur etc but if it helps, our measurements have been out a bit (baby has a huge tummy!!) but we have been told all out measurements tend to equally out xxxxx

My little one has been 3 weeks ahead with femur length. It's to be expected in our case as I'm 5'7, dad is 6'3, daughter is 90th percentile for height. So none of us are short.
If you or baby's dad are on the shorter side it's probably just genetics. If not the measurements could be out etc xx

My little one has been 3 weeks ahead with femur length. It's to be expected in our case as I'm 5'7, dad is 6'3, daughter is 90th percentile for height. So none of us are short.
If you or baby's dad are on the shorter side it's probably just genetics. If not the measurements could be out etc xx
Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm 5'2 and the father is 5'11 so might be an explanation.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

My measurements haven't been the same either. Being going for growth scans as they thought baby may be small.

At last scan femur length was just under 50th measuring about 5 days behind dates, abdominal circumference was on the 90th centile measuring 2 weeks ahead and head circxumference measuring a 8 days ahead on 75th centile. Although femur isn't technically small for my dates, it is small compared to the other measurements. They didn't mention it as being an issue, however I still worry.

My measurements haven't been the same either. Being going for growth scans as they thought baby may be small.

At last scan femur length was just under 50th measuring about 5 days behind dates, abdominal circumference was on the 90th centile measuring 2 weeks ahead and head circxumference measuring a 8 days ahead on 75th centile. Although femur isn't technically small for my dates, it is small compared to the other measurements. They didn't mention it as being an issue, however I still worry.

That's it, isn't it? You always worry, no matter what they say. Your mind always goes "what if?".

My measurements were all over the place. I was told femur length was short at anomaly scan (below 5th percentile) then from 30 weeks my lb measured 3 weeks ahead but still with short femur lentmgth. He was born at 39 weeks weighibg 8lb 7oz and his legs seem fine to me :) My husband is 6ft but only wears a 29" leg though so i definitely think it was just genetics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back