Gestational Diabetes

x Naomi x

Reaction score
Had my 28 week bloods done, and the random blood sugar result came back at 6.4, she said they usually wouldnt worry but i hadnt eaten for 12 hours before so she wasnt expecting it to be that,

Baby is also measuring 4 weeks ahead on fundal height and she was 3 weeks ahead on femur length and belly when we had a private scan at the weekend,

I have a GTT and growth scan next week,

Just wondered what other people who have had gestational diabetes first blood level was and what problems have you encountered during birth etc?

I had GD... but very low blood sugar rather than high... but I was very careful with my diet and what I ate... I didn't encounter any probs tbh.... they threatened to induce if lil miss was big... but I refused unless her health was at risk, but generally they don't induce just because of GD anymore... I followed my diet, did exercise and everything was OK. I had a natural birth with no issues, but had glucose during labour as I hadn't eaten for a long time and my sugar dipped. Its not as horrific as some people make out... and as long as you are good and watch what you eat and your weight you do your baby a world of good.

I have a GTT booked for next week too so will let you know then, I have to have one because all my siblings have type 1 diabetes so Im high risk for gestational diabetes mine is next tuesday whens yours?

My sister had a baby last year and has type one diabetes obviously it is quite different from gestational diabetes as has more risks to pregnancy and mum etc but she was monitored more closely then a normal pregnancy the size of her baby was kept a close eye on and she was induced at 37 weeks baby was born over 8lb so would have been quite big at 40+ weeks. I think with gestational diabetes you would also be kept a close eye and babies size would be monitored closely and if baby got quite big you would probably be induced abit early the same but they try to control the diabetes with diet only at first cutting out sugar and doing more excercise etc. I shouldn't worry too much about it yet have your GTT then see what the results are, if you have gestational diabetes they will explain it all to you and what the next step will be etc but its not the end of the world :hug: :hug: :hug:

I had more scans and more mw appointments than normal and had to test my blood sugar 6 times a day.... :D

thanks for your replies!

My GTT is next thursday, baby was measuring at 3lb 9 at the weekend so expecting them to say i have, also my father in law has type 1 diabetes and has leant me his testing kit so i have been recording things from today, my blood sugar two hours after breakfast was 11.5 which apparently is quite high,

The problem being i cant increase my exercise because i cant do any because of my SPD but i am sure they will sort it, if i have to go on insulin then so be it

:hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back