sewing

mum2A&L

Reaction score
My sister has asked me to make her a dress with some fabric she has. Ive got a rough pattern to follow, i just need to measure her and cut the pattern to her shape.

Which has got me thinking. When i was a baby my mum made 90% of my clothes. I want to do the same for alice. Little things like summer dresses etc. Might also make myself a new summer bag :D

Does anyone know of any good websites that have free or cheap patterns / ideas?

has anyone got any thing they have created that might insprire me?

I can only google it I'm afraid, but what a grea idea!! You'll definitely have to show us the finished product, and I might even try making a blanket for Evie or something now I'm a lazy fook for 6 more weeks! xx

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/

Hi Sam,
I've been thinking the same as you. I went out and bought some material last week and elastic so I can knock Tom up some trousers.
Don't know if you remember an old member from here called Petchy? She has a brilliant blog with really inspirational ideas for crafts/sewing. She has some patterns on there and links to other sewing/crafty sites too. Worth a look.
Lxx

www.madebypetchy.blogspot.com

If I ever put my knitting needles away, I really should dust down my machine and join you!

Good Luck, looking forward to seeing the results :)

LucyBee said:
Hi Sam,
I've been thinking the same as you. I went out and bought some material last week and elastic so I can knock Tom up some trousers.
Don't know if you remember an old member from here called Petchy? She has a brilliant blog with really inspirational ideas for crafts/sewing. She has some patterns on there and links to other sewing/crafty sites too. Worth a look.
Lxx

http://www.madebypetchy.blogspot.com

Just had a look on that website, it's so good :D

cheers for the links girls.

ive just been googling around and i found this one:

www.BurdaStyle.com

there isn't loads, but there seem to be a few goodens on there (esp adult stuff & bags)

x-kirsty-x said:
LucyBee said:
Hi Sam,
Lxx

Yeah...I love it. So many good ideas...although the homemade sanitary towels are pushing it a bit for me! :puke:

LucyBee said:
x-kirsty-x said:
LucyBee said:
Hi Sam,
Lxx

Yeah...I love it. So many good ideas...although the homemade sanitary towels are pushing it a bit for me! :puke:

oooh, don't knock til you've tried 'em :wink:

Are you serious Minxy?
I can't imagine bleeding on Liberty print sanitary towels. And the thought of saving them all up for one wash...ewwww.

LucyBee said:
Are you serious Minxy?
I can't imagine bleeding on Liberty print sanitary towels. And the thought of saving them all up for one wash...ewwww.

Yep, it might be different when Stanley is potty trained, but at the moment I'm washing nappies so just chuck them all in together. I've got Hello Kitty ones :lol: Just use them as backup for tampons really. Nice and soft :D

i agree with LucyBee re sanitary towels. I couldn't imagine wearing them, esp on heavy days. I think i would be able to use them on lighter days.

Ive seen pics before with little bits of 'padding' in them. Do you throw that away, or do you wash it? Don't you worry they will leak? could you plastic back them to stop the chance of it soaking all the way through?

I went out to a boot fair and got loads of curtains, sheets, old farbic to get me started! Its been a while since ive used my mums sewing machine, so im goign to start with something easy.

If it works out alright, i may make loads and its some of my christmas gifts sorted! :lol:

Hi, I've not posted on here for SOOOO long - but when I saw the linkback I couldn't not reply to this thread :D

I'm glad you enjoy my blog :D As for cloth "mamapads" - I too was a sceptic before but I'm a complete convert now, especially since I could never quite get the hang of my Mooncup. They don't smell (because there are no nasty chemicals in them) and they don't itch or get clammy and yucky. Most have a PUL waterproof barrier layer in them and a stay-dry top layer like many cloth nappies also have. I've never had a leak, even on my HEAVY days, and because of the lack of chemicals many find they start bleeding less after a few cycles using cloth (me included, yay :dance: :cheer: ! They're just so comfy and soft - I will never go back to disposable ones! I have a wetbag to store them in when I am out and about, and put them straight into a plastic container with a lid. I don't soak them even, just empty the container into the washing machine and wash on 60. I don't even have to touch them after I've taken them off, so there really isn't much yuck-factor!

Are you sold yet??? :lol:

petchy said:
Hi, I've not posted on here for SOOOO long - but when I saw the linkback I couldn't not reply to this thread :D

I'm glad you enjoy my blog :D As for cloth "mamapads" - I too was a sceptic before but I'm a complete convert now, especially since I could never quite get the hang of my Mooncup. They don't smell (because there are no nasty chemicals in them) and they don't itch or get clammy and yucky. Most have a PUL waterproof barrier layer in them and a stay-dry top layer like many cloth nappies also have. I've never had a leak, even on my HEAVY days, and because of the lack of chemicals many find they start bleeding less after a few cycles using cloth (me included, yay :dance: :cheer: ! They're just so comfy and soft - I will never go back to disposable ones! I have a wetbag to store them in when I am out and about, and put them straight into a plastic container with a lid. I don't soak them even, just empty the container into the washing machine and wash on 60. I don't even have to touch them after I've taken them off, so there really isn't much yuck-factor!

Are you sold yet??? :lol:

PETCHY!!!!!!

Helloooooo! :wave:

edit: wow your site is FAB! I have a machine but I never use it :oops:

http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/index.php

this site is brilliant..

i think im going to google sew alongs.. ive made teddy a pair of trousers this week..

tedspants.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back