Home made soft toys - advice needed

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hello :wave:

I was thinking of making April a teddy or a rag doll for Christmas. I thought it would be something special for her to keep, plus a home made pressie cuts down the cost of Christmas a little (a must these days!) I as also hoping to make her a stocking and embroider her name on it.
Does anyone know of a good pattern for any of these or where I might get one? Do you think I will be able to teach myself embroidery by Chistmas too?
Will I need a sewing machine or can I get away with mkaing these things by hand?

Any help from your clever crafty types would be great!!! :hug:

Awww that is a lovely idea! I would imagine a stocking would be a fairly easy pattern -this site has one http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/xmas_stocking/Christmas_stocking_pattern.html

or this for the doll http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/free-doll-pattern.html

you could follow these basics and then customise as you like.
A sewing machine would obviously be easier but it is definately possible by hand. If you can borrow a machine then do that but if not then it'll be fine by hand- just a little more time consuming.

You could make flaps and things on the doll with buttons and zips and crinkly bits... ohhh i'm inspired... i want to make a doll!

Im planning on making some toys for my lot for xmas. Made some little felt mice by hand last year & embroidered stockings which they loved!! Am going to make felt scottie dogs, dolls, & new stockings for this year. Embroidery is pretty easy to pick up, just search the net as there is loads of sites that will teach you how to do stuff. I would use a machine as it may be quicker!!

Good luck!!

xxxx

Thank you both so much for replying :hug:
Thanks for the great links Suzie - I am going to have a look now, I also like your idea about adding crinkly bits etc!!!
I might ask on freecycle for an old sewing machine....you never know!

oooh yeh worth a try! Also check out charity shops, you only need a simple stitch one! You have to show us pics once you've made it :) i think it's a fab idea :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back