Setting up own business

mermaid

Reaction score
This is something I have wanted to do for a while but it is knowing where to start! I was wondering if anyone on here works for themselves and has been successful? It sounds a great idea to work from home during and after pregnancy! I need to research the idea a bit further I think :doh:

thats my dream, to own a small home run business. i've got the ideas, just not the money lol!

what kind of thing are you thinking about doing? xx

I'm an artist so looking to do this on a full time basis. I practise various techniques but just need to get stuck in! I think the getting going is the hardest part.

I run my own business from home and it's great (mostly) - I get to spend as much time with the kids as I want and we don't need to worry about childcare.

It does have it's downsides though - I'm 'at work' 24/7. My actual hours worked add up to ~60 a week, but that's spread in between family time, it often feels like I'm working 18-20 hours a day, but to the kids, I never work because I'm always there for them. It suits us as a family, but I know it wouldn't suit most. If it wouldn't suit you, you need to be strict from the start when you'll work and when you won't.

The variable income is another downer - we're both self employed so we have double whammy. Some weeks we can have have £1000's coming in and then nothing for a while. It takes a lot of discipline to make sure we have enough put aside.

I was doing more or less what I do now as an employee, but I was more comiitted to the business than the owners were. Decided I could do better myself and took the leap. That was 15 months ago. Think about what you want to do and research, research, research.

I have worked for myself from home for nearly a year.
It can be great but......its also tough going!

The downsides:

1. Its lonely
2. no work, no money
3. you need to be EXTREMELY motivated (its quite easy to sit and surf the net when you're suppose to be working!)
4. if its just you, then you are responsible for EVERYTHING, which can be scary especially when its time to file you tax return
5. Hours (if you have a deadline sometimes you will have to work 18+ hours a day)
6. You are NEVER away from work

The good sides:

1. you can work in your jammies :D
2. sleep in if you need too
3. being your own boss
4. take holiday when you want (clients permitting)
5. not having to wear makeup/do hair every day

I haven't made anywhere near enough money to cover my bills, but luckily my OH has been very supportive. Apparently you should not expect to break even (+ profit) until you are in you 3rd year!
It can be hard to find constant sources of work, but this will depend if you are planning to 'sell a product' or 'sell a service'. It hasn't been that hard for me financially as my OH has a good paying job, but for him it was a different matter.
He opened his own business about 4 years ago. We both put everything we owned into and even moved in with my mother to save money :shock: . Eventually he had to close it down as it was not making enough money. It was heartbreaking to let go when we had fought so hard to keep it going. But hey, you live and learn! As great as it sounds, be warned working for yourself is a long term commitment. But if you're really determined.....go for it!

me and my husband have our own clothing web site and it was doing really well but recently we havnt made anything. i love the idea of working from home though, so im going to do everything i can to make it work! :wall:

I've recently started working from home with Ecoflow they are a network marketing company.
They produce magnetic braclets for people and animals, a magnetic device to add to your car, boiler, water system to make them run more efficiently to save u money between 5-10%

its slow to start but is getting better.

my hubby started his own business 2 yrs ago and its going well at the mo.
the quiet times are difficult though

I work from home and must admit it can be hard to be motivated. I used to have a vintage clothes shop but now I sell to other shops and top up with an ebay shop. The downside is no sick or holiday pay. When I was really suffering in the first tri I could hardly work and I'm still making up for it now. The good side is that when my LO is born I can work around her.

If you are planning on selling your art a good idea is to start with an ebay shop, the fees are cheap and you can get a good idea what it will be like.

I started up an ebay shop 5 years ago and that time, things were great. I had a following and sold many pieces of my art. It is tough now on ebay as there are so many more sellers and the competition is tough. It isn't really viable anymore when selling fees are taken into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back