seriously need help with waking in the night

HELENUK

Reaction score
Alfie was waking 3-4 times a night for a feed i've stopped this and only offer water which he does take, the problem is he still will not settle in his cot.
He has his last feed at 7 and he will fall asleep he will stay in his cot then till about 10-11 ish and after that it all goes wrong.
He just wants to be in our bed and even if i cuddle him to sleep and put him back he wakes almost straight away last night i put him back about 15 times but he just doesn't get it! Should i do the controlled crying ? but I'm not looking forward to that at 11 at night, but I need to do something cause I'm a walking zombie and It's not fair on Molly cause by the time she finishes school I'm ready for snapping I'm that tired. Good thing is she will sleep through any thing. need help please.x

It's up to you I guess and what you believe in. If you're sure it's not hunger then personally I would go for crying it out, I did it at about 9 months and it really did only take 3 nights with the time getting less each time although the first night I had to get my OH to sit with me and stop me going up to him & I cried too. Friends of mine are really against the method but I weighed it up against everything else going on in our family (i.e. me a zombie like you say- he was waking 6-8 times just for me to go "there there") and figured it was right for all of us and Mel honestly didn't seem the worse for it- in fact much happier as he sleeps a lot better.

If there's anything possibly wrong with him & he cries I go in straight away but then these days I know if that's the case because he doesn't usually wake if you see what I mean? When he's been ill I abandon it too, or if we're away and he's in a strange travel cot and sometimes I have to do another 2 or 3 days when he is totally better because it slips again but generally I would recommend it if you think it's right for you.

Good luck hun!
+++

Hi hon,

My little girl has just turned 5 1/2 months old and was feeding on and off everyday from 9pm till 4am. She also slept with us in our bed as she screamed and cried for what seems like hours if I put her in her cot.

We started a new routine on Thurs and am pleased to say she is now sleeping in her cot, in her room, from 7pm till 7am. The controlled crying broke my heart and I think I have cried just as much as her but I know its worth it as she is a happier baby. With regards to the feeding, when our bubbas get to 5 months old, they no longer need a feed at night, it simply becomes a comforting habit that they get used to. You can and have to stop this though as otherwise you'll be so tired all the time especially seeing as you've got Molly too.

Be brave and do the whole controlled crying thing, it will be easier for you to do this now and should take no longer than a week to get your lo to sleep through the night. If you have a sister or other family member, it might be handy to have them around for a few days so they can help you and support you.

Good luck hon :hug:

Thanks for all the advice I've stopped feeding in the night completly now and I'm going to go for the cc starting at the wekend when other half is around to help. I know it will be tough but I've got to do it to function during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back