Separation anxiety or something???

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

I think Olivia has started that phase of crying whenever I go out of the room etc and I think she's doing it at night as well because the last few nights she must have woken up about 5/6 times and I've needed to go into her because she wont settle by herself.

Has anyone experienced it at night like this? I can cope with the daytime because I can move her playmat to where I am etc but during the night it's getting really hard...not sure what to do really!

Tonight for instance she's had more than a belly full of milk and was falling asleep so I put her to bed and she slept for nearly 3 hours but then woke up really crying so DH went into her and gave her a dummy and settled her but as soon as he left the room she cried again. He then tried waiting til she dozed off to leave the room but all the time he was there she was cooing at him and putting her arms up to touch him. I went in and gave her another quick feed and she was sleepy so I put her down but as soon as I left she cried so I waited til she had gone to sleep but no sooner had my bum hit the sofa she was crying again. I went back to her and settled her and she's gone off to sleep and now I can hear her crying again.

I tried leaving her to cry for a couple of mins because it wasn't a pain cry or constant - just a wah...... wah.... now and again but she just works herself up into a state.

Please anyone do you have any advice? I thought she might be teething again but I don't really like using Calpol/Medised unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Lucy

Rubie is exactly the same recently, so I would welcome any advise too :D

Oscar too..... considering sending him to boot camp!!! :D

Emilia xx

Hi ya

Oh no, sorry to hear Rubie, Braydon and Oscar are part of the same gang as well!

I'm going to speak to the HV later and see if she has any suggestions.

Lucy

Good luck with the HV today hon. Ella does suffer from SA (the severity depends how tired she is) but she isn't as clingy at bedtime (just when I need to get stuff done during the day :doh: ).

Could be that O is feeling a little under the weather?

Hi Kina

Hmm I was thinking maybe it's down to her being under the weather or perhaps more teeth coming through? She doesn't have any of the symptoms she had last time she got teeth but I spose it can be different each time? She does put everything in her mouth and always chews on her forfinger but not sure if this is just a stage? She doesn't appear to have red gums or any white marks on her gums.

It's as if she doesn't want to go to sleep alone, often if i put her down after she's woken up and settle her down (she only settles on her side) I'll say nice quiet things to her and shush her then she flings her arm round and looks to see if I'm still there, then flips back onto her side again.

The HV line was engaged - I'll try again!

Lucy

How did you get on Lucy? Is Olivia feeling a bit better?

Oscar has been really strange all day - very clingy and cried his wee heart out tonight while I was getting him dressed. Took ages to settle him... asleep now, but no doubt - not for long!

We're sending you and Olivia a hug :hug:

Emilia xx

I work in a creche and this is very typical of babies at this age. From about 6-8 till about 15 months is the worst...it's totally normal. They've begun to notice more about the world and have just decided that you're their best friend and they feel safe with you :)

the only thing I would recommend is to leave them with a family member once in a while...Brody goes to my moms every thursday while I work...hopefully he won't be TOO clingy later. :pray:

Hey Hun.
I hope you have a better night tonight, Ill catch you on MSN over the week end xxxxxxx

Hi

Urchin - what you said makes a lot of sense, apart from the odd time I've been to the hairdresser/exercise class etc I have always been with Olivia and as she's bf I guess she is literally attached to me a lot as well! The in laws looked after her for a couple of hours at the weekend - I think for both them and Olivia I'll try and make it a regular thing.

Kina - the HV said it was time to do controlled crying, she told me I could feed her up until midnight but after that do the CC.

I hope I'm not jinxing it by typing this but last night was so much better:
She ate all her food during the day (yesterday was the first day of 3 meals) went to bed at 7.45 woke at 8.15 and had a cry but I settled her without picking her up and she slept until 5.30!!! she had a feed and went back in her cot awake til (I think she had a wee nap in this time but when I picked her up at 7 she was bright and breezy so think she'd been awake for a while).

I hope she continues this good behaviour! Only thing is, DH tried to settle her last night at 8.15 but she wasn't having any of it, I had to go in - I presume this is the worst thing I could've done and that DH should persevere until she settles so she doesn't always need me to settle her??

Thanks for your support everyone.

Lucy

Awww Lucy know how you feel - Heidi is in this stage too - we have been doing nursery pre-visits and she has just cried the place down. I feel bad enough leaving her as it is - I leave her, and as I leave the building, I can hear her crying - makes me cry., but I have to do it as soon she will be there 2 days a week (i am so glad that is all she is going for)

I have noticed to - that I used to be able to leave her with people - e.g my brother and sister in law - ho no - not any more!!! she looks at them and her little face just wells up - its awful.

I got back work in a week and a bit so its really stressing me out.

Tonight is Heidi's first night in her room - and I have heard her stirring (which she NEVER does at this time of night) so I am wondering what tonight will be like!

How is Olivia now?

L x

Glad you had a better day yesterday hon :hug: Ella's been difficult to settle to bed the past couple nights, falls practically asleep on the boob, see's me walk out after I've put her in her cot and has a real bad cry. Takes several attempts to get her down, poor darling.

I think I need to do controlled crying with Aaron but not that easy when you live with 3 other people who all have to get up for work in the morning! Thinking I might buy Aaron a cotbed with a super comfy matress as he only has a foam one at the moment, hoping it will stop him getting in bed with me! :pray:

Hi ya, I also have a simular problem although Aimee does go back off once I go in and put her dummy in but then she will wake an hour later and do the same.
Leaving them doesnt do anything I feel as they only work themselves up into a tizz.
I must admit I have resorted to calpol when all else fails - didnt do anything though! :roll:

I think its a cross between teething and habit waking.
I was told the main thing you mustn't do is give them to much attention as they are very quick to learn that if they cry and scream they get attention/cuddles for it, & you should only pick them up if all else fails.

Urchin - you mean to say we have 15 months of this!! :shock:

x

Hi

Kiara has been the same she dont even like Bernie half the time no more she clings to me like a monkey and never wants me out of her sight i think it skinda cute but at times i wish she liked daddy lol
I have to try and get her used to staying without me i guess but everytime i leave her she dont eat and my dad wants me to come back
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back