Need help with separation anxiety

rachcraig

Reaction score
Any help would be much appreciated I'm getting so stressed out!

Amber is 21 weeks now and has become so clingy recently to the point I can't leave her in her chair to go to the next room for just a minute, she screams the place down and her wee face goes purple she's so angry! The biggest problem is bedtime though, we moved her in to her own room last week as she has out grown her Moses basket and she will go to sleep fine cause she is so tired but the minute she wakes up and realises she's on her own all hell breaks loose! We've barely slept a wink this week. Her cot is too big for our room so we can't bring it through.

I've tried to not go to her straight away when she cries but she really gets so distressed, it seems painful. The doesnt help that the old witch next door bangs the walls whenever she cries for more than 2 mins. Ive said to het the crying can't be helped but she still does it! X

Last edited:
This might sound silly but have you tried playing lots of variations of peekaboo with her so she knows that even though she can't see you that you haven't disappeared, then she might not get as distressed when you leave the room?

Aww that's a good idea bunnykins, willing to give anything a try just now. I to try to play peek a boo with her but she just sits looking at me like I'm stupid! I'll try and make it a bit more exciting for her tho x

You could play games like peek a boo with a teddy and hide it behind your back so she learns it always comes back. I would be inclined to go to her quite quickly soon as she starts crying so she is reassured your still there straight away and she will realise you don't disappear and always come back she might be more happy to settle then. Kynon is the same age and i think he's just starting to become aware of this too, they don't understand at this age that you will always come back so they get scared when they can't see you. Is there no way you can squeeze the cot into your room for a while until this phase is over?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. We actually had a great nights sleep last night, though not sure if it was just a fluke or if she's starting to get used to sleeping on her own. its a cot bed she has and its massive so no way it would fit in our room but I was thinking of getting a travel cot for our room that we could use in emergencies, think we'll just have to wait and see what happens tonight.

I play perk a boo with Grace but always cover her face instead of mine.
She gets funny sometimes when I leave the room but she's gone off with family a couple of times now no problems. Going to start shipping her out to grandparents abit more in preparation for going back to work lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back