when did you buy a new car seat?

sarafet

Reaction score
we're still using the one from aidens travel system and it says up to 28lb - but he is 17lb 10oz now and is massive and looks squashed in it.. (this is the primo viaggio car seat btw.)

i think you can get stage 1 car seats which are rear facing but are bigger and last a bit longer?

any advice as he's gettin cranky being stuffed into a tiny car seat, especially with a jacket one :lol:

You can buy them that are from newborn to 4 years that are rear-facing to front facing. My sister bought a Britax one off ebay last week for £15! They can be £130 new. She's lending me one like it. Angel's car seat is too heavy for my piddly arms and weighs a ton and i really struggle carrying her now!

We skipped the infant carrier and went for a birth to 4 from day one.

Got a Britax Ultra Si and its been fine for our LO who like yours is on the larger side.

It goes rear facing for a fair while longer and then forward facing till 4.

However, we are not going with it forward facing and will be getting a fitted rear facing seat to last Galen till he is 4 years old. I've seen the clips and read the Rear facing website and am converted (lots of discussion about it on the forum a while back if you are interested). Its not cheap but I'd rather the extra cost. If only I had read this before we bought the Britax. But then I would have had to have waited till Galen could support his own head anyways.

btw we never leave Galen's outdoor jacket on when he is in his car seat. I don't like driving in my coat so figure it can't be comfy for LO to have his on :roll: :oops:

Also it means less room for him. I'd consider leaving Aiden's jacket off in the car if you can.

hmm this is interesting...

My LO is not a tiny baby either - last weigh in about 3 or so weeks ago he was 1st 1lb!!

I went into Mothercare to ask their advice, He's currently using the carseat that came with the my3 pram.

They said that as long as his head was fully inside the seat, then it was still ok - even if the legs are sticking out.

Apparently the view is that if there is an accident, legs can be repaired, but a head can't!

Was wondering this too. Becky's feet are off her current car seat - she is off the top of the centiles chart for height - but her head is still fine in it. I also want to sell my travel system so have to do a bit of research into new car seats. Last week in Holland we tried her in a Maxi Cosi 0+ car seat that claimed to be able to have a baby in it until 12 months but it was the same story.

Have heard rumours that group 0+1 (the ones that are rear facing until the baby is old enough to be forward facing) compromise on safety somewhere but have yet to find out proof in writing! I'm going to go have a look through Which magazines at the library next week - I'm too cheap to pay an online subscription and had huge problems cancelling my account after the last "free" trial.

daftscotslass said:
Have heard rumours that group 0+1 (the ones that are rear facing until the baby is old enough to be forward facing) compromise on safety somewhere but have yet to find out proof in writing! I'm going to go have a look through Which magazines at the library next week - I'm too cheap to pay an online subscription and had huge problems cancelling my account after the last "free" trial.

TBH forward facing from 9 months or the weight that is considered suitable (in the UK) is too young for my liking. I don't want to have Galen forward facing from 9 months at all. To me that is compromising of his safety also. Waiting till he is 4. Based this on the research etc.

I like the look of the car seat you got though Sherlock.

Might invest in that one myself.

sarafet said:
we're still using the one from aidens travel system and it says up to 28lb - but he is 17lb 10oz now and is massive and looks squashed in it.. (this is the primo viaggio car seat btw.)

i think you can get stage 1 car seats which are rear facing but are bigger and last a bit longer?

any advice as he's gettin cranky being stuffed into a tiny car seat, especially with a jacket one :lol:

I have the same prob hun, same carseat too! James is 16lb odd and he looks so uncomfy. Im gonna get a new one on payday xx

sherry - i read the stuff about rear facing and i'm totally converted too! aiden will be rear facing as long as possible!!

thanks for everyones advice!!

tilly - the primo viaggio was a waste of money imo :wall: how heavy is it btw :lol:

:think: We don't have this problem yet! We have the Silver Cross Ventura car seat which also says up to 9 months, but Ella is perfectly happy in it. (She was 16lbs 8oz on Thursday) Her legs stick out but her head is comfortable,

Were ok at the moment as we have arear facing car seat but by the time i have to give it back to my Sister in December (she is due then :cheer: ) Collier will need a new car seat god the expense :( so will need to look into the best type at a price we can afford

Dylan went into front Facing when he was 8 1/2 months old...THey say it is important not only weight but if they can sit up for 30 minutes unaided.
although i know rear facign is safer Dylan is so much happier been able to see where he is going

sarafet said:
sherry - i read the stuff about rear facing and i'm totally converted too! aiden will be rear facing as long as possible!!

thanks for everyones advice!!

tilly - the primo viaggio was a waste of money imo :wall: how heavy is it btw :lol:

I cant lift James when he is in it, my arms would snap :lol:

Sherlock said:
We skipped the infant carrier and went for a birth to 4 from day one.

Got a Britax Ultra Si and its been fine for our LO who like yours is on the larger side.

It goes rear facing for a fair while longer and then forward facing till 4.

However, we are not going with it forward facing and will be getting a fitted rear facing seat to last Galen till he is 4 years old. I've seen the clips and read the Rear facing website and am converted (lots of discussion about it on the forum a while back if you are interested). Its not cheap but I'd rather the extra cost. If only I had read this before we bought the Britax. But then I would have had to have waited till Galen could support his own head anyways.

i really want to get a rear-facing til 4 seat as well. do you know where you're going to get it from? i haven't found a UK retailer as yet, although i haven't looked too hard cos connor's only just hit 16lbs now and has a while left in his current car seat. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back