• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

screaming at same time each night..night terrors?

Minchin

Reaction score
HI everyone,

Owen has started waking up at almost exactly 6 hours after hi goes to bed, so usually 1ish. He's only just managed to go through the night about a month ago and drop his night bottle, argh! Then last week he was ill so up a lot. Now he's waking in a right state, screaming and often inconsolable. He doesn;t want bottle and seemingly doesn't always stop when we pick him up. after a spot of googling what Ii have come up with is either attchment anxiety or night terrors.

For night terrors it says to leave them, but we haven;t really doen any controlled crying and he does put himself to sleep for most naps and bedtime. so at a loss about what to do really. Should I keepo comforting him and see if this phase stops?

should I try leaving him (that will be really hard though) Does anyone have any experience or ideas?

We have been getting him up after 10 mins he has stopped crying and often has 2/3 oz of water from the bottle ( I was worried he was thirsty in this heat) but he finds th e bottle v comforting too, then goes back to sleep no probs, we just put him down and leave him. I worry he'll start getting used to his nighttime water bottle! argh! so confusing and frustrating. Any help greatly appreciated,

Amy xx

Oscar has night terrors and he goes through periods of having them constantly to a break of a week. He gets them at any point during sleep and sometimes it will happen a few times in the same sleep.

I usually see it coming because he usually falls asleep on me. His lip goes and he breaks into a cry but at first no sound comes out, then he wails so loud it's so heartbreaking.

Sometimes just stroking his head and telling him I'm there works and he's back to sleep. Other times I have to pick him up and walk around with him and he can be inconsolable for up to 5 mins or more.

I think he's actually asleep throughout, but when he's really bad that's when I have to walk around to wake him up. Then he usually goes back to sleep fairly soon after.

xxxxx

My friend's little boy got night terrors really badly. I think her doc prescribed melatonin (sp) for him xx

If its night terrors wouldn't he wake up more randomly timewise?

if u haven't done any controlled crying I wouldn't leave him x

Not sure what to suggest but ella gets night terrors sometimes and she is inconsolable :-( its horrible. The only way to calm her down is to pick her up and cuddle her and walk around with her until she falls back to sleep...usually sobbing. I hope he stops soon x

this has happened to my lo only a few times and it really freaked me out! out of instinct i've always scooped him right up and rocked him in my arms and he always falls back to sleep right away.. even though he isnt fully awake if you get me. i hope its just a phase and they stop for you soon...poor baba xox

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the replies.Been out for the night with the husband and sil babysat! so tired now but thought would havea little check before i go to sleep!
He's quiet so far. it's weird cos one of the websites said it can occer at the same time each night. I mean it may just be attachment or somehting, or maybe even really thirsty? but he doesnt wake up much and needs ten mins at least til he has calmed.Not gonna leave him to cry though, even though oh is thinking maybe we should.
fx we have a break for a while...

Have a good weekend people, we're off to birmingham to see my cousin tomorrow so wont be on for a few days
xx

Managed to drive back at Owen's bedtime and he slept the whole way-now successfully transferred to cot! Was a little nervous about how he would cope as was the first time doing that but success :)
Last night he woke again at 1am ish but tbh I dont think it was a night terror but maybe attachment anxiety-he cried and couldn't be comforted for about 10/15 mins, didn't want water in his bottle then was soothed back to sleep.
Not too bad really and hopefully it will stop soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back