• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Safe to have your hair coloured????

Jaidy

Reaction score
My roots are showing REAL bad, I just wondered whether it was wise or not to have my hair coloured now im pregnant? I normally have a full head of tint and highlights but I could prob just have highlights at a push. Do any of you have your hair coloured in pregnancy? If so what are the risks? Ta in advance xxx

Heya hun.... im a hairdresser and pregnant, im not aloud to even colour someones hair at the moment because I am pregnant... not even if I wear gloves and we dont advise u have ur hair coloured if you are pregnant in the early stages throughout. Ull need to tell ur hairdresser that u are pregnant and see what they suggest. It is very doubtful that they will let ur have a permanent colour on ur hair, because the chemicals seep into ur scalp and into ur blood stream, this isnt harmfull to u, but could be to ur growing baby. Try and get a temp-colour done I know it doesnt last very long but its alot safer.... if in any doubts ask ur hairdresser ...i probably havent explained it very well but I hope ive help.

Take care Jo xxx

Can you not have highlights - I have an appointment and just found out I am pregnant. Not sure what to do...?

I would go with roots and not risk it! My blonde roots are showing, but I'm ok with that knowing that I have a little one who's counting on me to keep him or her healthy.

Remember, even the fumes can be very harmful! You have a great excuse for having some roots, and then a great excuse to pamper yourself with a makeover once baby comes!

I've had a tint at approx 13 weeks and highlights about 2 weeks ago. Saying this though, I'm dark haired so I'm not sure about blondies (as I guess they use a stronger mix).

It hasn't been proven - so up to you really. My hairdressers didn't batter an eyelid.

Please relax in your pregnancy - do what you think is right....baby can be stronger than you think. I miscarried in July last year and I'm putting it down to stressing over too mucg things of what you should and shouldn't do - and not to sound awful BUT nothing is to blame for a miscarriage, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen and nothing can stop it.

s

i was told its a big no no to have you hair dyed when preg as the chemicals could enter your blood stream.

I'd leave it - (personally) if i were you as you are in the early stages where your bubba is developing.

If you were third tri then i probably wouldn't have worried as babe is full formed by then.

If you do - just check with some one - but you may find that no one will do it

I have a book with a section on this..and here is what they say (yes i am going to type it all out)
The top section is a bit shorter..but i typed the bottom section out just in case..hope this helps..its took me a while

'I was about to go for my colouring appointment, when i heard from a friend that hair dyes can cause birth defects, is this true?'

Though some extra prudent doctors still advise their patienits to stay away from all hair dyes when they are expecting, studies have not linked these products to birth defects. So little of the chemicals in the dye is absorbed through the skin, its not likely that it would have any adverse effect.

But, while you may not have to worry about the impact on your baby if you continue colouring your hair, you may have to worry about the impact on your appearance. For hormonal reason, your hair may react differently when your expecting - leaving you with a colour you may not have expected.

'my hair is starting to lose all of its body and its flat and limp. Is it safe for me to get a permenant?'

Though the pregnant belly is the most obvious physical effect a gestating fetus has on its mother, it's by no means the only one. The changes are evident everywhere - from the palms of the hands (which may temporarily turn a ruddy red) to inside the mouth ( gums may swell and bleed). The hair is no exception. It can take a turn for the better (when lucklustre hair suddenly sports a brilliant shine) or for the worse (when once bouncy hair goes limp).

Ordinarily, a permanent or a body wave might be the obvious answer to hair that has taken a wrong turn, but it isn't during pregnancy. For one thing, hair responds unpredictably under the influence of pregnancy hormones; a permanent might not take at all, or might result in an unflattering frizz instead of bouncy waves. For another thing, the chemical solutions used in permenants are absorbed through the scalp into the bloodstream, so there are questions about the safety of their use during pregnancy.

So far, studies of the effects of chemicals on the fetus have been extremely reassuring; no like has been found between the use of premenants and the development of birth defects. But since more studies will be necessary before these substances are completely exonerated, the very cautious may wish to stay 'straight' untill after delivery. Don't be concerned, however, about a permenant you already had - the risk is only theoretical, and certainly not worth worrying about.

i dyed my hair black every 6weeks through both my pregnancys even the hair dressers said its fine, if any thing i think some pople dont in the first 12weeks

Gosh how confusing! Dunno what to do now! I think Il have a word with my hairdresser see what he says xxx

JaidyBaby said:
Gosh how confusing! Dunno what to do now! I think Il have a word with my hairdresser see what he says xxx

Thats exactly what i thought as i was reading it!
I think that is your best bet, hopefully he will be able to advise you on it! :D

My midwife says she advises you dye hair only after your 1st tri.

wen i was PG my hairdresser MW both sed it was ok to dye ur hair it was after i wasnt allowed to as my hair was falling out still is really!!the joys of having a baby

Hi,

This was covered on "This Morning" only a few weeks ago. It may still be on their website, not sure of address but do a google search for "thismorning".
A whole section was dedicated to pregnancy with different people being interviewed, drs and a midwife. One of the top leading hairdressers was on and mentioned that there is absolutly no problems with dying your hair while pregnant, it's a total myth.

Good luck
Bev x x

haha have to mention this.......... My mate didnt know she was pregnant and she used the same home dying kit for a year and when she dyed her hair when she was preg it turned green and yellow .......... was so funny bless her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back