*Any hairdressers - help please!!*

SarahH

Reaction score
I need help on colouring!

I havent had my highlights done since..... eeek I cant even remember, must be Oct/Nov :oops: so am sporting a lovley chavy upside down pint of guiness hair do - blonde bottom and dark MASSIVE roots! Not pretty :shock:

Well, I leave a week on Wed and because I have a huge amount of hair my highlights, cut & blow dry always take a good 4-5hrs to get done, which with Brian not being here and nobody to look after Arianna, she wont sit through that in a salon.

Would I be safe to colour my own hair... I have only ever coloured my own hair dark, never blonde so I am worried I mess it up or turn my hair green or something with the colour that is already on the ends.

Answers before tomorrow would be hugely appriciated as I amn going into town tomorrow so I could get the colour then.

THANK YOU!!!

BRUNETTE FTW!!!

go on sarah, join the dark side again!!

u can always blondify urself when ur back and someone has Arianna?

I have only just got back to blonde from being dark! I might to a darker blonde, but not going to go back to brunette as my hair just held on to the colour and wouldnt lift to light last time.

Anyone know if I can do it or not :pray:

after being a hairdresser for 5 years i would advise you dont do it ur self main reason it wont be highlighted it will jus be a block of colour dont go dark either coz unless it has a hint of red in and will not cover the blonde fully and after a few washes it will become wishy washy hth xx

I know it will be block colour - but will it turn green??? I'm not bothered at block as I can put some streaks in myself, just dont want green hair!! :lol:

hehehe the chance are it wont turn green i couldnt answer that unless i see what ur hair looks like now its more likely to turn brassy, gold, orangy colours but again that depends on what ur natual hair colour is etc have u got a picture for me to look at i could be more help then. also the thing is with box colours they dont have a strong level of peroxide in them which again can effect the end result sorry im not being much help but with out seeing ur roots and how dark they are its hard but one thing i am it would be very unlikely to turn green lol but ur hair looks lovely in ur profile pic

You have no idea how much of a pleb I must look taking a pic of my own head! :lol:

Anyways, here goes....
(I was thinking of doing like a honey blonde... not as light as this!)

P1170222.jpg

P1170221.jpg

P1170220.jpg

hehehe. ok so ur roots are not that dark ur base colours is quite a light colour. now do u no what peroxide strength the use in the salon they mite not tell u. u said in the post it takes a few hours is that beacuse ur hair takes a while to lift or is it because u have thick hair or lots of it?? im a little worried with a box colour the roots will go a different colour to the rest of it have u done it urself before if so how did it turn out. do u have like a hairdressing wearhouse that u can go to coz if u do i can tell u what u need and how to mix (its really easy peasy) and ul get a better result

hello! im a hairdresser by trade (do not work as one anymore) but did it for a living for 13 years.

i definatley would not go for an all over colour,this will make your whole hair one colour,the root regrowth will be very noticeable.

i personally would go to the hairdressers but just get the top layers naturalised (this is done by either tin foil or easimeche packets,same as highlights but much less apinful then pulling long hair through a cap)
it will be done alot sooner then a full head this way but if you wear your hair down alot you will not see the roots underneath as the top layers will hide them.
i colour my own hair (using salon colours) and do every other time the top only,(i also do a few at the back for if i have my hair up and a few at the sides)
chemist colours are abit iffy really as they are totally different colour systems to the salon ones and alot of the blonde ones contain bleach as they have to be strong enough to colour all hair types where salon colours are more designed for each individual person by adding different peroxide strengths.

feel free to PM me if you want anymore info!!

ps!
your hair only goes green if it has been blonde (or had the red pigmentation stripped out of it) and you then colour it a darker colour WITHOUT adding some red back into it.

Hi Sarah, a lot of the blonde box colours come out with a lot of gold tones and judging by your skin and eyes that would clash. Honey blonde is what you want to achieve so I would suggest you look for anything with beige in the name def NOT ASH or gold. The beige will counteract your own golden tones it may not look gold but I assure you you have them, hence NO ASH, ash is basically blue and gold yellow and that is why people go green!!!

Application: follow what it says on the box however try and get a mate to just do the roots first for 20 mins or so and then take through to the ends, as they are already highlighted they will be more pourous so it wont need to be on for so long another 10 mins or so just keep an eye on it and no longer than the box says.

Another hint get a box mix a bit and do a strand test see if you like the colour first in doing so you wil be doing a skin test at the same time you dont want a reaction that would be very bad x x x x

please be careful if you do a box colour as the roots will take quickly as the heat from your scalp makes the colour develop alot quicker,you do not want to get colour bands in it!

i did hair at college for a year ..and i would not put a block colour on over highlighted hair
i would go to your hairdressers and let them see. because if u do put a blonde on ur roots will turn a different colour to the rest as it will take much quicker unless u spunge it off .

All is good!!! My hairdressser is coming to my house tomorrow to do my hair! :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back