Hair dye

Emma58

Reaction score
I know this has probably been posted on here loads of times but my hair seriously needs colouring the roots are terrible. Is it safe to have it coloured or not I've read lots of conflicting advice on the internet and I'm not sure what to do.
It's bad enough putting on weight and having no clothes to wear and having a face full of zits but grey roots at my age is so un attractive :oops:

I've been bleaching my hair still- I figured since I don't drink, don't smoke and have stopped eating brie I can allow my self one naughty vice! The smell of the peroxide gets up my nose though! x

I feel the same, i'm going to dye it, i can't stand looking two tone any more!! Don't really understand how it can harm anyway as the dye is absorbed by hair? My cousin is a hairdresser and says they have never been warned off dying pregnant ladies hair! :)

You can get natural dyes called henna. Those are alright to use.
Also, if you decide to dye your hair, dye it in an open, airy place.

You have to be careful with Henna dyes too...as sometimes they are not pure henna... Check the box..

As for dying your hair, there seems to be a huge debate about this...there is lots of evidence for and against...and nothing has been proven conclusively.

I dyed my hair, but with highlights, mainly because, I'm naturally blonde and I dye my hair one shade off black...and it's the dark colours that give the most possibilities of problems and allergic reactions, regardless of pregnancy... so being pregnant, I didn't want to take the risk...personal choice though...

Go to a good hairdresser and speak with them...discuss your options, they might do foils instead as it doesn't touch the skin, but at least you will have had your hair done... :cheer:

I had highlights done yesterday. I consulted with the hairdresser who was completely happy to do it as he's been colouring my hair for years. Apparently foils are preferable as the dye doesn't get into your system through your hair, only if its on the scalp.

My hairdresser says he more concerned about dying hair directly after the birth when a woman is breast feeding, as the chemicals can be passed on through the breast milk.

It's entirely a personal choice at the end of the day, I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that you are at risk, as others have said, some women take far more risks during pregnancy with boozing, bad diet and smoking - i'm not one of these so I figured a little hair dye isn't the end of the world.

i cant see any problem, ive been dying my hair since i found out i was pregnant, i also dyed it throughout my first pregnancy too

clairescunny55 said:
i cant see any problem, ive been dying my hair since i found out i was pregnant, i also dyed it throughout my first pregnancy too

Same here

I think I'll have it done using foils as that seems the safest option as long as it covers my grey i'll be happy. I never knew that about chemicals going into breast milk after the birth i'll have to def make sure that it won't need doing after the birth

Emma58 said:
I think I'll have it done using foils as that seems the safest option as long as it covers my grey i'll be happy. I never knew that about chemicals going into breast milk after the birth i'll have to def make sure that it won't need doing after the birth

Yeah I was a bit suprised at that, I'm just going to make sure I get my foils done right towards the end of the pregnancy so then I can leave it for a bit.

The hairdresser also said that as your hair changes once you've had a baby it can be a bit of a issue when dying it, what with the hair loss etc. Again, I think its one of those things you just have to decide at the time....

sunnyday said:
My hairdresser says he more concerned about dying hair directly after the birth when a woman is breast feeding, as the chemicals can be passed on through the breast milk.

:x :x :x Why'd you go and say that for... :doh: :doh: :doh: I hate being blonde... I was soooo looking forward to going back to black.. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: Had it all planned to do it the minute I walked out the hospital too..

Squiglet said:
You have to be careful with Henna dyes too...as sometimes they are not pure henna... Check the box..

As for dying your hair, there seems to be a huge debate about this...there is lots of evidence for and against...and nothing has been proven conclusively.

I dyed my hair, but with highlights, mainly because, I'm naturally blonde and I dye my hair one shade off black...and it's the dark colours that give the most possibilities of problems and allergic reactions, regardless of pregnancy... so being pregnant, I didn't want to take the risk...personal choice though...

Go to a good hairdresser and speak with them...discuss your options, they might do foils instead as it doesn't touch the skin, but at least you will have had your hair done... :cheer:

What it's more dangerous to go dark!! I'm naturally a dark blond/mosey brown!! So go dark!!

I have my hair booked for tomo and did not know this. My hairdresser last time used a low % and did not apply to scalp. I don't know what to do now!! x x

it is recommended not to dye your hair until 3rd tri as you absorb the chemicals through your skin. i still dyed mine though, wear gloves provided, try to get it off in the shortest time possible and do it in a well ventilated room.......hope this helps

suzy100 said:
it is recommended not to dye your hair until 3rd tri as you absorb the chemicals through your skin./quote]

OMG I don't think i could wait til 3rd tri :oops:

annem said:
Squiglet said:

What it's more dangerous to go dark!! I'm naturally a dark blond/mosey brown!! So go dark!!

I have my hair booked for tomo and did not know this. My hairdresser last time used a low % and did not apply to scalp. I don't know what to do now!! x x

Like I said there's proof there's anything wrong with dying your hair.. But with dark hair dyes, there are more cases of allergic reactions, nothing to do with pregnant women but with anyone. It terrifies me every time I dye my hair, thinking god, could this be it...

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/paraphe ... lergy.html

More PPD information

Its this chemical that does it and it is found a lot more in dark hair dyes than any other... Its rare.. but it can happen... Also these "henna" tattoos you get in markets sometimes use black hair dye and ppl get severe allergic reactions for the same reason..

Hello
i am using wash in wash out until i get some highlights, i leave it on my scalp by accident so not risking it right now but i think it is safe, i read you have to use huge amounts for it to be dangerous
x

Finally had it done today!!! I ended up having the foils done my hairdresser said this was the best option.

my hairdresser wont do my highlights until 12 weeks as she has had cases of odd colour changes due to the changes in hair in early pregnancy that she says settle down after first tri - not sure how much evidence there is for this but as I am slightly (only slightly) concerned about the risk to the babe before 12 weeks (after this stage all major organs are formed and the chances of malformation through drug, chemical use much less) decided to humour her and wait - having had my hair cut short it is now entirely dark - but in 3 weeks I'll be blond again :D

ive just done mine very dark my natarul hair colour is light brown/dirty blonde but ive been having it platinum blonde for a year. just dyed it dark brown and hubby hates it lol but i love it!!! plus i was fed up with my roots :D
manda xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back