• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sad scan result ----- GOOD NEWS :)

moomoo192

Reaction score
hiya

had some bad news today :cry: had my scan and by chance as baby was lying face down and they found a lot of fluid around the baby's neck (nuchal fold) which could mean down syndrome (high risk due to the amount of fluid) heart problems like hole in the heart, infection, due to cases of slapped cheek (parvo virus) at school at the time of me getting my hpt? If its this then beacuse its so early still if it was affected by it then it will slowly kill off baby's blood cells which will then become aneamic and eventually die, if i was further along then they could have done a blood transfusion on it.

Basically i have opted for the downs test as we both know (please don't judge me on this) that we would have to opt for a termination as we know we would not cope. I have always refused the testing and said if it was born with it then it would be loved and cared for no matter what but in this case its not the case, we know we could be faced with that, we have ourselves, our other children and the life of the baby we have to consider and knowing what we know i/we wouldn't cope. If it was our 1st baby things might be different.

With the testing i can have a CVS test now which they take a piece of placenta and culture it to give a definate result or an amniocentesis at around 20 weeks. cvs has 2% miscarriage rate, the amnio has 1%. Bearing in mind i'm 13 weeks now (they put me back a week) i have to consider what happens if we have to terminate, with cvs i should be ok to have a normal termination unless baby is too big that it would cause damae to me and then i would have to deliver, if i wait for the amnio and had to terminate then i would have no other option than to go through labour to deliver our baby so with this in mind i have opted for the cvs, either test will give us a definate result as to whether it has downs or not but with cvs their is a risk that it will only show abnormalities within the placenta and not baby so then i would have to wait for the amnio. If the test comes back ok then they will have to do a heart scan on the baby as the fluid could be from that so whatever option i think about that i have been given is not a good one. Part of me hopes that if the result for downs is positive then i truly hope to god i miscarry naturally so i don't have to go thru with a termination.

My doctor should be ringing me tomorrow to see if i can have it done tomorrow or monday, they've been really fantastic and explained everything i've wanted to know and have said to me that if any decision i make i can undo anytime and have not pressurised us in any way.

If anybody has had anything show up with a nuchal fold scan could they please let me kow what happened whether thru this or PM, thanks.

Lastly i'm sorry if i have offended anyone by saying about a termination but you have to realise we have talked things thru based on 'our' lives not anybody elses. I totally admire anyone who has a downs child, i have nothing at all against them, my dh's uncle was disabled and i know what is involved with looking after them so its not a decision made lightly with no thought put into it but i just know in our circumstances we would not be able to cope and this is why we have made this very hard decision if the outcome goes that way.

:hug: not alot to say hun , your being brave and i dont think noone should judge you negitivly .,i hope the tests come back ok for you

on another note , stories like yours make me even madder my locals hospitals dont do the 12 week scan , if this was to happen to my bean i wouldnt know till 20 week :roll:

loads of hugs to you and ya familly :hug:

moomoo192 said:
hiya

had some bad news today :cry: had my scan and by chance as baby was lying face down and they found a lot of fluid around the baby's neck (nuchal fold) which could mean down syndrome (high risk due to the amount of fluid) heart problems like hole in the heart, infection, due to cases of slapped cheek (parvo virus) at school at the time of me getting my hpt? If its this then beacuse its so early still if it was affected by it then it will slowly kill off baby's blood cells which will then become aneamic and eventually die, if i was further along then they could have done a blood transfusion on it.

Basically i have opted for the downs test as we both know (please don't judge me on this) that we would have to opt for a termination as we know we would not cope. I have always refused the testing and said if it was born with it then it would be loved and cared for no matter what but in this case its not the case, we know we could be faced with that, we have ourselves, our other children and the life of the baby we have to consider and knowing what we know i/we wouldn't cope. If it was our 1st baby things might be different.

With the testing i can have a CVS test now which they take a piece of placenta and culture it to give a definate result or an amniocentesis at around 20 weeks. cvs has 2% miscarriage rate, the amnio has 1%. Bearing in mind i'm 13 weeks now (they put me back a week) i have to consider what happens if we have to terminate, with cvs i should be ok to have a normal termination unless baby is too big that it would cause damae to me and then i would have to deliver, if i wait for the amnio and had to terminate then i would have no other option than to go through labour to deliver our baby so with this in mind i have opted for the cvs, either test will give us a definate result as to whether it has downs or not but with cvs their is a risk that it will only show abnormalities within the placenta and not baby so then i would have to wait for the amnio. If the test comes back ok then they will have to do a heart scan on the baby as the fluid could be from that so whatever option i think about that i have been given is not a good one. Part of me hopes that if the result for downs is positive then i truly hope to god i miscarry naturally so i don't have to go thru with a termination.

My doctor should be ringing me tomorrow to see if i can have it done tomorrow or monday, they've been really fantastic and explained everything i've wanted to know and have said to me that if any decision i make i can undo anytime and have not pressurised us in any way.

If anybody has had anything show up with a nuchal fold scan could they please let me kow what happened whether thru this or PM, thanks.

Lastly i'm sorry if i have offended anyone by saying about a termination but you have to realise we have talked things thru based on 'our' lives not anybody elses. I totally admire anyone who has a downs child, i have nothing at all against them, my dh's uncle was disabled and i know what is involved with looking after them so its not a decision made lightly with no thought put into it but i just know in our circumstances we would not be able to cope and this is why we have made this very hard decision if the outcome goes that way.

im so sorry to hear this moomoo. I hope and pray all is well for you :pray: :pray:

Sorry to hear this. I don't think that anyone could judge you based on your decision. It's not something that you are taking lightly and it's got to be hard. Take care of yourself. My fingers are so tightly crossed for you right now.

moomoo been missing you :hug:

really sorry to hear all this - of course it is only your's and Dh's decision and noone is going to judge you on this. :hug:

I'm still here if you need to chat

So sorry to hear this. I can't see how anyone could judge you - no-one makes these decisions lightly. I do hope, though, that the CVS comes back with a good result and that you are, after all, spared such a decision.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it means a lot to me to know i have so much support here, just reading your replies brought tears to my eyes again.

I heard from the hospital this morning, my appointment is for monday at 10.55, i just feel so confused, up one minute, down the next. Just don't know what to think at the minute. I'm doing lots of searching on the internet but dont know if its a good or bad thing.

Thanks again all

I would leave off the internet searches unless they're proper medical sites. There's an awful lot of misinformation out there and you will probably worry yourself unnecessarily.

Do hope your appointment goes well.

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through at the moment. I don't judge you at all. I hope everything turns out ok for you. Good luck on Monday. How long will it take for the results? xxx

My thoughts are with you. We had to discuss making a similar decision (for spina bifida), thankfully our results were ok but I remember how hard it is to make a decision. You must do whatever is right for you and your family. No one will judge you.
Sending you lots of positive thoughts
xx

I dont think anyone on here has the right to judge you and i know they wont. You have made decision based on YOUR circumstances and YOUR feelings noone can dislike that. I wish you the best of luck and hope that when you get your result you dont need to make that desision.

We are so lucky in this country to have the scans and medical knowledge available that we do.

:hug:

Very sorry to hear this. I really hope all turns out well.. xx

i think you're incredibly brave - good luckon monday - i'll be thinking about you :hug: :hug:

due to all the floods etc i haven't been able to get on here as we lost our internet connection when i most needed it.

Thank you all again for your comforting words, it really does mean a lot

NIE said:
I'm sorry to hear what you are going through at the moment. I don't judge you at all. I hope everything turns out ok for you. Good luck on Monday. How long will it take for the results? xxx

We get the results back in 2 parts, the 1st should take about 3 days and will give us a good indication as to which way the test is going, neg or pos but we have to wait at least 18 days to find out the end, definate result. We're going on holiday in 20 days so i'm guessing we'll be getting my results while away, if the worst comes to the worst and we have to terminate then thats gonna be another 2 more weeks of waiting. DH said if needs be, we can come home early but i don't see why i should spoil the kids holiday for something that isn't going to be fun anyway.

My thoughts are with you and your family. Hope everything goes ok tomorrow :hug: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back