• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sad because of money worries

sarafet

Reaction score
morning ladies.

i feel really upset today. i've been looking into what money we would have for the baby, it's not looking good :( i'm a student nurse and i've taken a year out so don't get any money at all. all we have is my partner income which isn't going to stretch after rent, the car etc.

the only way you can get maternity allowence is to be working 6 months before you have baby, so now i need to get a job, and even at that i'll only get about £400 a month :( i really don't know what to do as we're never going to be able to afford this :'(

xxx

:hug: don't think anyone can afford a baby i know i'm def going to have trouble. £400 pd is a lot better than nothing and i'm sure will help towards alot of bills . don't feel upset :hug: everyone always gets by and i'm sure you your fella and little baby will as long as you got eachother :hug:

Could you not do agency nuse work unti lthe baby comes? Agency workes get paid quite well or even on the bank staff at the local hospital? If people waited till they had enought money to have kids i think the population would go down very quickly!

:'( actually cant stop crying. now oh is worrying that we can afford it and is questioning it :'(

doesn't matter where i work, its the fact that we need maternity pay. i can't believe this. why is it people can click their fingers and get money, a house etc, yet when we earn 16,000 (loads of tax taken off remember,) we get NOTHING. its so unfair :'(

I know how u feel - I have just finished uni and have only been teaching since Aug and I am still having major problems with money.

Its all I worry about and its not good at all

Hope things get better

Try not to worry. It might all seem a bit crap at the moment but try and be positive and I'm sure somehow, things will work out okay for you. xx

When you are in the depths of despair worrying about money, it seems like there is no way around it. When I had my frst we were up to our necks in debt and had a big mortgage and had more going out than coming in. Going on maternity leave (I had been made redundant and got a pittance) was just a nightmare. But something always comes up.

A freind of mine had been looking for a childminder and asked me if I wanted to do it. I was getting nothing from the state so I could do it. She paid me £150 per week to look after her two boys and it was still cheaper than paying for chilcare elsewhere. I did it for three years till we were out of a mess and that was ten years ago. After that I went back to full time work and we dug ourselves out of a very deep hole.

Something will come up, have you looked at homeworking (be very careful) or something you can fit around when LO is here. Try not to worry, life hasa way of sorting things out and god knows if you listen to other people, no one is well off when they've got little ones.

Have you looked into Sure Start Grants?
They are a really good organisation - our local one loans our TENS machines for free and if they have your size, can give you nursing bras etc.

thanks everyone, i think the hormones are making it seem a bit worse.

i've calmed down now and i'm just going to be positive and timsmom you're right, something will come up. i'll get a job as soon as i can and i'll just have to do my best.

i always imagined when i had a little one i would be able to give them everything they could want, i just hope i still can xxxx

You will be able to give your LO everything s/he needs - lots of love, cuddles, warmth and food. They don't need anything else.

Even when older, they find more pleasure in a wooden spoon and several different sized upside-down saucepans than the expensive brightly coloured plastic that you can buy.

Don't forget that you can also apply for child tax credits and you get a small amount of child benefit too.

:hug:

kylie i don't think we're entitled to a sure start grant either :(

miceelf, thankyou, i just want the best for my lo, which i'm sure we all do and will give them :)

xxxx

Is there anyone around you that has young children - you could ask to borrow the more expensive items like highchair / pushchair if their children are beyond that stage.

Also NCT have some brilliant Nearly New Sales, where you can pick up a lot of stuff cheaply.

Failing that, classifieds in the paper or car boot sales for clothes and stuff.

I know it's easier said than done, but do try not to become too worked up - it's not healthy for you or your LO. *HUGS*

Also an idea to check the notice boards in your local health clinics, and supermarkets etc for bargains.

Also Ebay...

Freecycle....

And the Jan sales....

And you will be suprised how many peopl have baby things to give you when you announce you are pregnant, it may not be as bad as you think.

Good luck xx

Oh and Freecycle too! Lots of posts on there giving stuff away. If you need something specific, just put a post up and maybe someone will be giving one away.

It's all free, except for collection (petrol) costs for the bigger stuff and maybe postage for the smaller items.

Just id say hi cos i am in a similar situation- I am also a student nurse and my partner is doing a masters so we have no income!! I get stressed out about it most days but you just have to keep telling yourself that babies just need lots of love and hugs and write a really long present list!!!

Oh hon, sorry you are feeling so low!!

Theres been some gr8 advice on here...

have you contacted your CAB (citizens advice bureau) IM not sure how the taxes work In Scotland as they may be different but you must be entittled to some type of top up or something

It annoys me when people are trying to make a living and arent getting any support... i hope things work out hon

:hug: :hug:

ring inland revenue on 0845 300 3900 and find out what you will be entitled to once baby is born.

it doesnt matter how much you earn - when it comes down from 2 incomes to 1 nobody copes too well - we all live beyond our means these days!

i think most are in the same situation - nobody (apart from Posh Beckham) - can afford to have babies - but in time it will all be okay.

i went back to work part time when baby was 3 months old so we could afford groceries!

thanks so much everyone :) ellie i left uni voluntarily a week before i found out i was pg :( i have a few modules to resit, so i'm not entitled to my bursary :(

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back