rusks.....is it too soon???

dianedue27thjan

Reaction score
Hello again ladies!
Grace is now 10 weeks and 6 days old, but she doesn't take to milk very well - we've tried ALL types.
Dont get me wrong she takes enough & is growing ok (she's a fraction small), but my mother-in-law is adamant that she is ready for rusks & thinks she'll take to them straight away & hopefully "catch up"

IF and I mean IF she is old enough I'll give it a go, just concerned it could be too soon.

the problem is Grace is compared to OH's four nephews who were big boys (MONSTERS!!) & I just don't think the mother-in-law understands not all babies are the same.

Any advice? when did you start with rusks?

Love & hugs to all your little ones :hug:

its up to u when u start feeding ur daughter rusks, its not up 2 ur mother in law so dnt let her pressure u
im not sure bou rusks but my mum fed me baby rice since i was 2weeks old because i was greedy

I would wait a few more weeks... they say that you should try to hold off til she is 17wks.

Plus if she's not taking the milk I can't see her being ready for food yet.

Speak to your HV they should be able to give you leaflets and advice.

:hug:

The official advice is to wait until they are 6months before introducing solids. I chose to start weaning at 4months. Unless you (and I mean you not your MIL) really feel they are ready to be weaned sooner I would wait until 6months. I felt Ellie was ready sooner. My MIL was full of bad advice too.

I personly wouldn't try her yet. She sounds very similer to Aimee when she was younger with her feeding. I think all that will happen if you give her rusk is she will get more full up and take less milk. If shes already not taking much milk thats the last thing you want. Some days Aimee would only take 7ozs all day. she has just never been a hungry baby and never much liked milk. I always compared Aimee to my older daughter who was and still is massive but Aimee is just ment to be small. I'd stay stick with the milk.

if she is content and feeding ok (enough to be satisfied) i would say no, also she needs to be holding her head ok too ... i introduced solids early at 14 weeks as alfie has always been a hngry baby and he started waking through out night, but if he had been content on just milk i wouldnt of b othered. MIL's dont realise things are different now, my MIL tells me she had her daughter on cows milk at 4 months now my eyes popped out my head at that. if you are not completely ready then dont do it, alfie was a hungry baby a big lad but 10 weeks was too young for him

It says in the NHS book I have got not to give solids until 20 weeks and rusks until six months. I would personally wait a bit before giving her any solids as I think she is probably a bit too young. I think that you should just do what you want and not listen to your MIL as times have changed but some of the older generation are a bit stuck in the past on what to do with babies. Jake is only small compared to a lot of babies but I'm not worried so long as he continues to gain weight. I tried giving him some food when he was just over four months as I thought he wanted it but it turns out that he didn't and I am going to wait until six months now. I think if your LO is gaining weight and your HV isn't worried then continue with just milk.

Hiya

I gave COnal a rusk from 13 weeks although only 1 corrected and because he still goes to the consultant every month i checked with him who said this was fine as long as i wasn't giving him anything else and he was still taking milk, i only really did it to help him settle at night but it sounds as if your LO just isn't that keen on her milk not that she is hungry so needs extra. :)

Heather

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back