Rubella!!! Urgent advice!

Small Flower

Reaction score
Hi all,

My step-son has been diagnosed with Rubella this morning - his mum took him and she just called to tell me. He's had it for the last 4-5 days - so I've been in contact with him in those days. He'll be contagious for the next 10 days, so no school and he'll have to stay at his mums house for that time, I should imagine? (they have 50/50 custody and we have them every other day and w/e)

I'm 22 wks pregnant, I've just called my doctor (which is a different doctor to my stepson) and the receptionist said the doctor is going to give me a call back.

So while I'm going out of my mind with worry - does anyone have any experience of this (I have no idea what Rubella is - apart from its like Measles) or how it affects me?!

Thanks all!

When you had your first lot of bloods done they should have checked for rubella immunity. :hug:

Dont over worry yourselef. chances are you will have had the immune jab.

The doctor will phone you and sort everything out, Im sure it will all be ok xxx

inforabumpyride said:
When you had your first lot of bloods done they should have checked for rubella immunity. :hug:

yep and they would of taken action if it was low or non-existant

When you had your blood tests they should have tested to see if you were immune. Most people are because it forms part of the jabs we all have as kids.

If it had shown that you weren't immune they probably would have told you to make sure you avoided people with it.

Thanks for your replies!

I'm probbers panicing over nothing - but you know what its like - I've just googled it and all sorts of info comes up - how it affects unborn babies etc!

Anyway - I've calmed down a bit - I'll just await the call from the doctors!

Small Flower said:
Thanks for your replies!

I'm probbers panicing over nothing - but you know what its like - I've just googled it and all sorts of info comes up - how it affects unborn babies etc!

Anyway - I've calmed down a bit - I'll just await the call from the doctors!

Complications with your baby are rare in the 2nd tri. Just to put your mind at ease.

Incubation is 12-23 days.

I'm sure your doc will say your fine

Did you get a Rubella jab done when you were about 12? It is common practice and is done at School.

Mx

Hello,

After looking through my notes at my original blood test resaults I realised I had low level Rubella anit bodies although neither my MW or doctor have mentioned it. Most people in the UK are vaccinated against rubella when they have their MMR vacine (although I had this so I don't know whats going on with my body!!) So chance are you'll have immunity and if this is the case the chances of you contracting it are very low.

Also Rubella is most dangerous when contracted in the first 16 weeks of pregnancy, the risk of it affecting the bay becaome much lower in the second trimester.

Hope everything goes well with the docs.

Alex xxx

Hun, I know exactly how you feel. I had a scare when I was about 8 weeks pg, a child at my son's school had rubella and I had definitely come into contact with him. I paniced over it for days as I didn't remember having a rubella booster in my teens. However, the blood test results showed that I did have rubella antibodies so I was probably fine and in the clear. But it is so so worrying. If you haven't a clue whether you have rubella immunity then I expect you do, because if you didn't your GP or MW would have wanted to discuss it with after you were tested for immunity at your first MW app. x

Girls get a booster at about age 11 or 12 but boys don't (or at least when I was at school they didn't) because of the complications it can cause in pregnancy. So you've probably had a booster and forgotten. :hug:

If you look in your maternity notes it will say what the outcome of your blood test was i.e. if you have immunity to rubella or not I would have a look to put your mind at rest whilst waiting for the doc to ring! :hug:

Well I've been round in circles this morning - I still have no difinitive answer!

Its meant to be written in my white notes - but its not - everything else has been written against but not that!

My GP surgery still haven't called me back and now they are closed until 2pm. I've called the midwife dept at the hospital, who have said wait til your next midwife appt - to which I replied - "what in mid May! What about collecting step daughter from school today (dunno if she has it) or having contact with my stepson today - else we'll have to arrange child care'

Aaaaanyway! They called me back as they'd have to get a different department to look it up - and i am immune.

But with all the running about and mis-communication (my fiance was told different things) I'm dubious about whether to avoid contact with my step-son or not?!

What a palarva! We're going to pick step-daugther up from school as usual (she doesn't show any symptoms) and have her every other day as usual - but not sure about step-son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back