Routine

Nicky_Jones

Reaction score
Hi, I would like some advice from people.

Our little one is approaching 4 months and our routine hasn't really changed much since the beginning.

7:30 - get her up, wash her, feed, and dress followed by some play time
anywhere between 8:30 - 9:00 - Nap when she is showing signs of being tired. Her nap will be anything between 30mins and 1hr, recently they have been more like 1hr which is getting longer.
When she wakes I put her in her bouncy chair where ever I am and talk to her while I am getting jobs done.
10:30 - nappy change and then feed followed by play time
any where between 11:15 - 12:00 - nap when she shows signs of being tired, length of time as before.
13:00 - nappy change and feed, on an ideal day this would be 13:30 but she never seems to be able to wait that long. Followed by some play time.
~15:00 - nap when she shows signs of being tired.
16:00 - Nappy change and feed followed by play time and then a massage on her legs.
17:00 - Nap
18:00 - Feed
19:10 - Start her bed time routine off nappy off time, bath, dressed for bed, feed and then bed.
23:30 - Dreamfeed

My question is, is this OK? Is it a problem that she is showing no signs of wanting to go 4hrs between feeds during the day? Should she be starting to nap less now? At what age should she be napping less?

I would love to drop the dreamfeed and she doesn't take huge amounts then - I tried again last night and she was restles from about 2:30 onwards - she was awake making quiet (non distressed noises) and then going back to sleep for 15mins then waking again. I finally fed her at 4am (maybe I shouldn't have?) because she was starting to sound a bit more distressed and I couldn't sleep because of how restless she was. She seemed very suprised to see me and initially only latched on for a couple of sucks and then turned away. She was quite blocked up so that could have been why she was restless as well, but then latched on and had a decent feed. When I put her down she made noises for about 30mins afterwards before going back to sleep.

Sorry for the long post. I am breastfeeding BTW.

Thanks

Hi Nicky,

With the feeding, I think it sounds about right for a BF baby as it breaks down quicker than formula. This is why a formula fed bubba often goes a bit longer between feeds. If she is happy with this I would try to stick with it.

As for the naps, Katy seems to settle & sleep better at night when she has regular naps through the day. Again, if Elena is happy I would keep to it......she will soon let you know if doesn't need quite so much sleep!!

Personally I think you are very lucky as Katy has no routine really!! She has 2 naps a day for around 45 minutes & sometimes sticks an extra 1 or 2 short ones in & I thought i'd sussed it with feeding every 3 hours but thats all gone to pot now too!!

I wouldn't mind, but she only gained an ounce last week but seemed to be feeding more :? . She had her 3rd jabs yesterday & today shes hardly fed at all. I can't force her, but it is a bit of a worry!!

Anyway, I digress (sp?),
I think you are both doing fantastically, & i'd definately go with "if it aint broke dont fix it"!!

God i've waffled!!!!!!!!!! :shock: Sorry!!!!!!!!!

Thanks I really appreciate the reply. Ellie has her 16wk jabs tomorrow :( I am not looking forward to them.

Wow Nicky what I wouldn't do for a routine like that :lol:

I think its great that she can nap regularly like that, it seems I can only get Leorah to nap in her pram!

Are you follwing the EASY from the Baby Whisperer? I would have liked Leorah to follow that but I just can't get the sleep bit sorted!

I based our routine on the routine suggested in Baby Secrets. Though modified based on what Ellie needed. I tried to follow it right from Day 1, which was fine until she got colic and I just did the best we could following it while she had colic. Once it passed though everything suddenly seemed so much easier. Haven't read Baby Whisperer but I suspect they are quite similar?

I just worry really, especially as I am going back to work on 8th Jan and the impact that will have.

Perhaps having regukar naps will mean she will be more settled when you go back to work? I understand you being anxious though will she be going to a nursery?

I think the Baby Whisperer is similar, it says to look for the cues that baby is tired and I'll catch Leorah at first yawn but she still doesn't nap :wall: As you know she has some coloicky behaviour too so pwerhaps it will be better when this passes :)

I am sure it will. I couldn't quite believe how easily Ellie suddenly went down for naps when she didn't have colic. She literally went from only being able to sleep on me during the day to going down without a wimper for a nap in her cot almost overnight.

Hey nicki

I was just about to post about naps. Your routine sounds a lot like Ellis'

He has 4 naps in the day, one between each feed.... for about 30 mins a time.

and when i tell people they say "oh god i bet thats annoying"??? I thought it was normal hehe

I must say though Ellis needs rocking to sleep on his naps, but i know when he gets the grumps about hr after a bottle he is tired and I give him a baby cuddle and put his dummy in and his eyes start going.

sounds like u are doing fine too hun, looks like we just have sleepy babies hehe xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back