Ross Mackie 16/07/10 **pics added**

megsmeadow

Reaction score
Well our baby boy finally arrived 11 days after his due date and on my 29th birthday! His entrance into the world was certainly not what I expected but I had the best support ever!

On Thursday morning (15th) I went to hospital for them to start me off. I had some prostin gel at 11 am and wasn't favourable at all, then more at 5pm as there had been no change. I had been getting cramps which were painful so had some paracetamol and dihydracodeine. By 7pm I was in so much pain but MW's thought it was just prostin contractions rather than the real deal. I was literally begging them to do something to ease the pain but there was nothing they could do on the ward and no rooms in the labour suite. The midwife was talking me through the contractions but I felt so out of control and couldn't cope with the increasing pain. Between contractions going into myself and trying to focus on getting through the next one. My OH was timing them and by that point I was having a contraction lasting a minute every minute or less!

Eventually they got me a room on the delivery suite at 10pm where I started off on the gas and air until the midwife could see me (she was attending to four other women), and gave me the first injection of diamorphine. We were pretty much on our own for a long while until the midwife was able to examine me and very shocked to discover I was 8cms dilated so then broke my waters. From there I remember very little. Between the contractions I was out of it, apparently garbling nonsense and telling the staff to 'away and stop talking pish', or offering my OH the gas and air, which was 'the schnizzle!'. When the contractions came along they felt like they lasted a lifetime and the pain was still intense bit somehow just that bit more tolerable.
So I was lying on my back, legs in stirrups, pushing like mad but Ross's heart rate was dropping and not coming back up so they ended up calling the doctor and giving me an episiotomy and using forceps to help him out that final step at 2.33am on my Birthday. Ross's delivery was everything I didn't want but he is here safe and sound and I can't believe we have made this little miracle!

I have to say, when the staff were actually available, they were amazing. I got up to the mat ward at about 6am and home about 4pm without any sleep.
Ross is now 4 days old and the spit of his daddy. We're still finding our feet, unfortunately we struggled with latching on so I'm expressing what I can and using formula to top him up. He's also a tummy sleeper, hates being on his back! So it feels like I'm breaking all the rules! The midwifes are happy though, I had an excellent student midwife visiting the last two days but got today off for good behaviour.

To be honest I'm feeling a bit traumatised by Ross's birth, and didn't appreciate the emotional rollercoaster I was about to get on. I couldn't have done it all without my OH, he's the voice of reason, a calming influence when things feel a bit much. I'm so proud of my little boy and his wonderful daddy!

Last edited:
Oh how wonderful, it sounds as if you did an amazing job. Congratulations on your beautiful son Gem :hug: Thanks for sharing xxxx

Oh wow, what a story. Alot of that sounds a bit familiar! Glad you got home quickly, he is gorgeous, we need some pictures on here though. You're not breaking any rules honey, he's your baby and you have to do what you feel best. Thats where I went wrong at first listening to all the conflicting advice. Get rest when you can and i'm glad your OH was a massive support xx

Thats fab you got home so quicky! Congratualtions on your gorgeous little boy xxx

Aw I love birth stories! I have to say the bit about the gas and air made me giggle! Congrats hun xxx

Congratulations. Even though it wasn't the birth you were hoping for it sounded like you did so well through it. Enjoy being home and with your new little family :) xxx

Congratulations Gemma, sounds like you had a bit of a time with it x

:yay: Wahoo! Congratulations on your little guy!! :D Hope he manages to latch on soon Xx

Beautiful photos! Congratulations!

Congratulations he is very cute! I love the way that he appears to be shouting whilst wearing his "little but loud" t-shirt x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back