Renovating Costs?????????

Eveadel

Reaction score
Hi

We have seen a bungalow we like but it does need alot of work on it.

I know this will differ from county to county but what do you expect to pay for:

Total rewiring
New boiler
New facsias & soffits
Double glazed front door, back door, french doors
Conservatory 13 x 10

I know if wont be exact but just need to know a rough idea before we put an offer in - thanks

we had builders in last summer (we're moving elsewhere before they finish off this summer)

rewiring cost us £7k - it's a big house though and they also did the network cabling - slowly plastering / redecorating ourselves
central heating and boiler was £4k - dunno what the boiler was on it's own but again, it's a big house
not had fascias done yet, but I think the quote was £900
doors were £200 each unfitted (still got to fit the back door myself) - not sure about french doors
haven't a clue about conservatory, but don't forget planning permission if you'll need it

other big stuff we've had done / planning on which you might need to think about
damp proof course
roof
re-rendering / brickwork pointing

We're in North Lancashire - dirt cheap property / labour

Thanks for your reply TracyM.

Blimey, its expensive isnt it.

Its a 3 bed detached bungalow.

We have done a rough estimate and it comes to £32.5k to get this property up to a good standard.

Here is what we need to do:

French doors - 2000
Conservatory - 7000
Re-wiring - 4000
Facsias & soffits - 2000
Front door - 1000
Back Door - 750
Side windows - 500
Carpets - 1000
Kitchen - 7000
Bathroom - 3000
Plumbing - 1000
Plastering - 1400
Misc Building work - 1000
Boiler - 1200

How realistic do you think these estimates are?

Depends how much you plan to do yourselves and how much you want to pay people to do??

for example our new bathroom we want to get fitted - suite cost 1000, fitting estimates range around the 3000 mark so far...but this includes striping out old suite, plumbing, replastering and retiling walls + floor....so money could be saved by doing our own stripping out and retiling.

always budget on the high side and then you won't get any nasty surprises!

Do you know any builders who could come with you for a second viewing? We took my uncle (retired joiner) to our new house and he gave us a rough price for materials and hours to fit out the granny flat - he also knew a bit of history about the house so we felt more confdent raising our offer if we needed to.

tracyM said:
Do you know any builders who could come with you for a second viewing? We took my uncle (retired joiner) to our new house and he gave us a rough price for materials and hours to fit out the granny flat - he also knew a bit of history about the house so we felt more confdent raising our offer if we needed to.

I was going to suggest this!

We bought our house a year ago next month and so far we have refloored all of downstairs, knocked through the kitchen to create an open plan kitchen/diner, put in a completely new kitchen and decorated. So far its cost about 10k and we have upstairs to do yet including 2 new bathrooms, converting part of the front garden into a driveway and landscaping the back, but its well worth it if you can see the vision and you can afford it!!

We have just had a new boiler, new switch thingy (which controls if the water goes to the radiators or the hot water tank) and thermostatic valves all around and that was a few pound over £2000.

Whats the plumbing quote to cover?

We had our house rewired in Malvern for ~£2500 but that was nearly 8 years ago and certainly before Part P came out which almost certainly will force the cost up. NB Ensure that whoever you get to do the wiring is certified for Part P regulation.

Other than that, they are good ROM costs to factor in when considering what to offer.

We've just had a new combi boiler put in, it came to around £2500 in total. And our bathroom has just cost us about £2500 too. We are having a front door, french doors, & 3 windows for about £3000 including installation. We will probably budget around £3500 for the kitchen but we are getting a massive discount on it so you may need to look at up to double that depending on the size.

I have done a bit of research into these sort of costs as we bought this place to do up!! Feel free to PM me if you need to :)

We've just had an electrical survey done on the house e're buying & part of the house needs to be re-wired :roll: thye guide said to budget £4000 but I think it will be cheaper than that, hoping anyway. Bang goes my new furniture :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back