Relactating info and stories please

aramintalovegrove

Reaction score
Not for me but my sister.

She has a boy who should be the same age as Esme but was born 11 weeks prem and she successfully BF until recently. I hope I get the facts right for her here goes if it helps anyone give advice I would be truly grateful

As he was feeding constantly and loosing weight she decided to give formula feeds he hasnt taken to these well and the weight issue continues she wants to start BF again but her milk has dried. she is going to ask her GP for tablets to hep milk production but thinks that they may not agree.

Any info stories of personal expierience or general advice would be great

Lil miss was taken to the SCBU when she was just brand new... and they made her have formula. I was breastfeeding and fully intending of continuing, but the SCBU unit closed its doors at night preventing breastfeeding at night, it disrupted my supply and I had to continue with the top ups in the evening time because my supply was low.

After one 24 screaming fit that started within 10 minutes of taking the bottle of formula and just went on and on (poor little thing :( ) I just dropped the bottles and put up with her fuss, kept putting her to the breast and basically lodged myself on the sofa for several weeks until she got my supply up and became exclusively bf.

Your sister can try the meds (give it a go) keep putting her LO to the breast all the time, even when she knows its just for comfort... constant nipple stimulation and hand expression on her part... skin to skin contact... to help get the flow stimulated :)

But I never actually gave up breastfeeding... Just my supply became interrupted at the time it came in... It wasn't easy... so I would expect that relactating completely would be extremely difficult :think: Good luck to your sister though. :hug:

She needs to pump as much as possible, skin to skin and latching baby on as much as possible too.

Nipple stimulation is what will make milk.

I woudlnt rely on docs to give her tablets, if shes really having a problem getting her milk up tell her to get a herbal supplement called fenugreek.
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupp ... greek.html
Also milk thistle may be good to take with it also.

She can totaly do this, but it takes determination and persistance.

:hug:

Tasha20 said:
She needs to pump as much as possible, skin to skin and latching baby on as much as possible too.

Nipple stimulation is what will make milk.

I woudlnt rely on docs to give her tablets, if shes really having a problem getting her milk up tell her to get a herbal supplement called fenugreek.
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupp ... greek.html
Also milk thistle may be good to take with it also.

She can totaly do this, but it takes determination and persistance.

:hug:

thank you I have let her know :hug:

No problem, anything else just pm me, I will try and help :hug:

Tasha20 said:
Cool, thanks again

She has been doing all the things suggested other than the suppliments and has managed 300ml expressing today after much perseverence, hope it continues

Thats fantastic!

Tell her to keep going, she can so do it!!!

If she keeps it up she will be booby feeding fully again in no time :hug:

aramintalovegrove said:
Tasha20 said:
Cool, thanks again

She has been doing all the things suggested other than the suppliments and has managed 300ml expressing today after much perseverence, hope it continues

Bloody hell thats loads tell her :)

aramintalovegrove said:

That is loads! I've expressed twice today when my LO would normally have been feeding (work :bored: ) and I've managed to get just less than 200ml. I think your sister is going to be breast feeding full time very soon! She's awesome!

It's great that you are able to support her through this- you should tell her to get online!

flowergirl said:
aramintalovegrove said:

That is loads! I've expressed twice today when my LO would normally have been feeding (work :bored: ) and I've managed to get just less than 200ml. I think your sister is going to be breast feeding full time very soon! She's awesome!

It's great that you are able to support her through this- you should tell her to get online!
She isnt online otherwise i would, will pass on the encouraging remarks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back