Real nappies....

frangelle

Reaction score
I want to use reusuable nappies for my baby due November but am confused by all the jargon a d different types of liners etc. Can anyone shed some light?!!!

What would be the best to use? And what do I need to buy?

Any advice gratefully received :)

All you need to know is here

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=12433

but here's another overview......

There are THREE basic types of nappy 'systems'

The pocket nappy

These are a one-piece nappy often in funky designs with an open pocket in the back where you can stuff the absorbant bit in. That could be a special insert, terry nappy or any absorbant material. Can easily be pre-stuffed and changed as easily as a disposable, great option for childcare. Can work out a bit more expensive.

The All-in-one nappy

You can use liners with all the nappies to catch the worst of the poo.

Does what it says on the tin. Closest to a sposie, put it on, take it off and chuck it in the wash. Not always as reliable as the other systems and drying can take longer.

The two-part nappy

Probably most common (and what we use). You use a nappy for the absorbant bit. This could be an old-fashioned terry square, a pre-fold (a flat but thicker material) or a shaped nappy (usually fastened with velcro/poppers/nippa). Then on top you put a wrap, the waterproof bit. Get it right and it's so reliable to do it this way.

Then you get into whether you want birth-to-potty or different sizes. And there's the materials...cotton, bamboo, microfibre.......

I'm happy to answer any questions via PM, or here if it's not repeating the above thread too much :D

Scratch that. Clearly can't read. Many apologies. Too tired today.

Fran i dont really know much about the other types of nappies as i only use the one type. the ones i use are shaped nappies. basically they consits of the nappy (looks like a dispoible but made of terry towlling) , inside them i put a booster and a fleece liner (to catch the nasties!), on top if the nappy i put a 'Wrap', this is the waterproof bit which stops the wetness from the nappy soaking through onto the babies clothes.

You can put more boosters in for at night when they will wet the nappy more. Or you can use paper liners instead of the fleece ones, as the paper ones can just be flushed down the loo instead of having to wash them.

I have 20 nappies, 10 wraps, 20 fleece liners, 40 boosters and a 16L nappy bin. i have this amount in 2 sizes (as the size 1 only does them until they are 20lbs and the size 2 untill they are potty trained) so in total 40 nappies, 40 wraps etc. I bought them from a company called little lambs, and it cost us £200 for the whole lot. I think they are about £220 now. any way this is the site link:
www.littlelamb.co.uk

here is a little demo of how they look and how they are put together:
cloth-2.jpg

clothnappy.jpg

I hope i didnt confuse you there, if you want to know anymore just ask away :D

Thanks guys will definately look into it- didn't realise there was another thread on it- sorry, will have a look now!!!

I tried that little lamb link but it took me to a nursery website? Am abit confused!!!!

lol franglle sorry ive fixed it now :doh:
i put little lambs instead of little lamb!

Eefie has little lambs and theyve left his leg red and sore as he's chunky. Size 2 supposed to be from 20lb. Hes just 20lb now and they dig in. His size 1's he was out of by 6 weeks. I thought it was the wraps but I got new wraps today and have now seen its the nappy.

I adored the tots bots rainbow so getting more of them instead.

we use moterease aka MEOS and any cute wraps i can find, either wool or nature babie waterproof one.

weve dyed all our meos so there all colourfull hehe

little*red said:
lol franglle sorry ive fixed it now :doh:
i put little lambs instead of little lamb!

Will have a look now, ta hun!!! I was well confused, trying to search for a link on the website!!!

Frangelle, I would advise contacting your local council and seeing if they have a real nappy advisor who can come round your house and demonstrate the different types. Sadly you live too far away otherwise I would come round. Different nappy types suit different people so I don';t like recommending a certain type. Have a look at all the different types and see which suits you.

yeah fran i agree with beanie, igot a woman from our council to come and do this with me and it was very informative. its so much easier to understand when you have the nappies in fron of you. Also when she came around i got loads of nappy samples which cost around £55 and i got them for £10, which was really handy as if meant we could test out different types once Evie was here.
this is what i got:

nappy.jpg

This is the link to a site which shows council insentives, shops, etc near you:
http://www.realnappycampaign.com/nappyfinder/index.html

hope that helps :D

Also check with your local council as lots give cash back for using real nappies. We got £30 back once we sent them a copy of the receipt showing we'd brought some :dance: :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back