reusable nappies advice needed please

rachie29

Reaction score
I am considering a move across to reusable nappies, we use eco-disposables at the moment but my washing machine is on so much anyway, I figure I may as well save money elsewhere. I really need some advice from people who use them

How many would I need to buy?
How do the liners work, do they just sit in the nappy?
Do you need to change the whole nappy each time or just the liner?
Which are the best brand you have found?
Do they leak more?

I realise these questions may seem a bit daft, but the mags i read werent very helpful

Any tips greatly received thanks :)

I use tots bots bamboozles, wash 1 load every morning and use fleece liners. I bought a mulitpack (20 I think?) and always have plenty. I change the whole nappy each time as it will be wet- the fleece liners stay dry feeling.

I have not had a great problem with leaks.

I haven't tried any other brands so can't comment on them.

Librarys often have real nappy mornings where you can go and look at various brands etc so that might be worth checking out.

HTH :)

How many you would need depends on how often you want to wash a load. We wash every day and we have 22. If you wanted to wash less often you would need more nappies and a bigger nappy bin. If you are going to wash every day you'll need roughly 3 times what your baby wears a day - a clean day's supply, one day in the wash/nappy bucket and one day's worth drying. If you want to wash every other day buy another day's worth of nappies.

If you use 2 part nappies - an absorbent nappy with a separate waterproof wrap over the top - then you will have to change the nappy and liner but you can use the wrap again. If you use all in one or pocket nappies you change everything.

We don't have a washing machine so we use fluffles as they dry quickly. We use the ones that fasten with a nappy nippa as this means the nappy fits perfectly because it can be adjusted to any size. We have some wonderoos which are popper fastening asd they are ok but you can't make a popper or aplix fastening nappy fit as well as with a nappy nippa.

With 2 part nappies, using the nappi nippa fastening and mothease air flow wraps we have only ever had a couple of leaks when we have forgotten to make sure the nappy is tucked properly in the wrap. So if we've left a bit of nappy sticking out the wetness wicks onto her clothes but if we've put it on properly (very easy to do so don't worry) we get no leaks at all.

Fothers- I have just been given 15 bamboozles in size 1 by my sister-in-law. She recommended double the amount. She had sent up a pack of Boots disposable liners of some kind (maybe they are boosters?), but had recommended I put them between the liner and the nappy because the nappy would get overstuffed and leak otherwise. Have you experienced this at all? Which fleece liners did you use? Also, did you use from size 1? If so, how long do you think they will last until I need the next size up?

moss said:
Fothers- I have just been given 15 bamboozles in size 1 by my sister-in-law. She recommended double the amount. She had sent up a pack of Boots disposable liners of some kind (maybe they are boosters?), but had recommended I put them between the liner and the nappy because the nappy would get overstuffed and leak otherwise. Have you experienced this at all? Which fleece liners did you use? Also, did you use from size 1? If so, how long do you think they will last until I need the next size up?

I think you'll be fine with 15. I had 16 size 1s and washed every second day or every day (DD went into reusables at one month old so was on about 5/6 nappy changes a day by then).

The disposable liners aren't boosters - boosters are something different (I'll explain that in a sec). If you are going for shaped nappies (like bamboozles that you have), then you'll need:-

*A few wraps (these are made from PUL usually which is waterproof) - you don't need to change the wrap each time you change the nappy, just air dry it while changing your baby's bum
*The shaped nappies (which in my opinion you have enough of)
*A set of fleece liners (I'd get 15 or slightly more as well, then you can make up each nappy when its dry and put it away folded).

This is all I used until weaning DD at 6 months. After 6 months I had to add in a paper disposable liner too as her poos became solid and I couldn't just chuck everything in the washing machine, I needed to be able to gather the poo up and flush it away.

I now make up each nappy when dry with a fleece liner and paper liner, then its not a huge hassle to cope with a wriggly baby AND making up a new nappy during nappy change time.

I found the shaped nappies fine overnight too but my DD wasn't a heavy wetter - if you have a heavy wetter then you may need to pop in a couple of boosters (also bamboo or cotton, a long strip that just helps soak up more liquid if the nappy is worn for a while or overnight) or get a few nappies just for nighttime - all in ones or stuffables that you can stuff with lots of boosters, terry nappies and muslins.

It doesn't matter which fleece liners you use - they are all exactly the same - a bit of fleece. I bought some, needed more then bought a big length of fleece (0.5m I think) then cut it into the correct size.

I used tots bots cotton tots and bamboozles from one month so size 1. DD went into her size 2s about 6 weeks ago so about 9.5/10 months old, but she's quite small - I know other people who have had to move their LO up to size 2 at 6/7 months old.

I'm sorry if that's all really confusing, its been a big learning curve for me too and I don't think anyone knows what will work for them or their baby until the baby is born and they start to use them.

Any more questions, please ask away.

Valentine Xxx

rachie29 said:
I am considering a move across to reusable nappies, we use eco-disposables at the moment but my washing machine is on so much anyway, I figure I may as well save money elsewhere. I really need some advice from people who use them

Hi Rachie!

How many would I need to buy?
I had 16 size 1s and that worked perfectly well doing one or two washes every couple of days. If I was at your stage though, I'd put Holly straight into size 2s (from 18lbs) - they will be a bit big on her to start and bulky (you may need to move her up a trouser size to fit over her big cloth bum - it really shocked me at first but now I think DD's big bum is so cute and cushions her falls!). I only have 11 size 2s and its really not enough, particularly as DD will be going to a childminder soon and we'll need to leave lots with her. I think I need another 10 or so so am looking second hand.

How do the liners work, do they just sit in the nappy?
Yes. I use tots bots nappies with an internal booster and just fold the fleece liner and paper liner round the booster (the booster is folder in half too) - I can post a pic if you'd like to see this.

Do you need to change the whole nappy each time or just the liner?
You need to change the whole nappy and pop the paper liner in the loo to flush or in the bin and wash the fleece liner and nappy. Some people wash and reuse the paper liners too. You can reuse the PUL waterproof wrap though, just air dry it during a nappy change. I change my PUL wrap about once every 24 hours, but more often if any poo leaks a tiny bit onto it (then it just goes in the wash with my nappies).

Which are the best brand you have found?
I've really only used tots bots cotton and tots bots bamboozles, both of which are great. I hear Little Lamb do really good shaped nappies too. I like tots bots wraps too as they are really funky!

Do they leak more?
I very rarely have leaks from my nappies and if I do its round the legs (vest a bit damp with pee) because I haven't tightened the nappy enough or made sure its all tucked in under the wrap.

rachie29 said:
Any tips greatly received thanks :)

I dry pail - just pop the nappies into a nappy bucket with a string bag thing (don't have to touch the dirty nappies again when putting in washing machine, just pop them in with bag open at top) with some lavender oil. I use Fairy Non Bio, just one tablet as don't put too much detergent in with them.

I always try to line dry my nappies and liners if possible as the sun bleaches out any stains - they also look really cool and retro on your washing line!

I tumble my cotton nappies (no need with bamboozles) to soften them a bit for 10 minutes once they are dry.

When putting them away, I make up each nappy with a folded booster, fleece liner and paper liner - this is much easier and quicker come nappy change time!

I am also a member and volunteer for a local real nappy project and this was their latest advice in this month's newsletter:-

washing machine - some people like to do a 'maintenance wash' every so often - just put the machine on at 60 with no detergent once a month
Swim Nappies - Kushies Beach Babies tend to give a really good fit because they have velcro fastening and also ties so they stay secure!
Nappies for more than one child - they might want to think about a one-size nappy if they'll have more than 1 in nappies at any one time - saves having to make sure that a variety of sizes are washed and dried.
Cut4Cloth has changed its name to Frugi: http://www.welovefrugi.com/

I hope that helps! Let us know what you decide to do!

Valentine Xxx

Thanks, Valentine! That is very helpful, and I think I will be asking you more at some point! Ha... I am pretty sure what she sent is a pack of disposable boosters, but I'm not home so can't check. I will look into fleece liners, though, unless I got those and don't realise yet! (I got a lot of stuff from her!) She sent some wraps too... I think five.

moss said:
Thanks, Valentine! That is very helpful, and I think I will be asking you more at some point! Ha... I am pretty sure what she sent is a pack of disposable boosters, but I'm not home so can't check. I will look into fleece liners, though, unless I got those and don't realise yet! (I got a lot of stuff from her!) She sent some wraps too... I think five.

No probs hun - ask away!

5 wraps is plenty I think.

Xxx

wow, thanks guys.

Valentine that really is some detailed help there, much appreciated. :hug:

I shall have a good old look at the costs and speak to OH about it... I may be back with more qs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back