Have I left it too late to get a new job?

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
I'm 12 weeks but cannot stand my job! (couldn't before I was pregnant either) but with the extra hormones pumping around it feels 10 times worse at the moment!

My boss is an untrusting, control freak, who feels the need to tell me how to do simple aspects of my job all the time, although they are things that I do easily everyday. She loves pointing out my mistakes (which are more silly now due to my baby brain.)

If I found another job would I still get maternity pay? Or am I best sticking it out here untill I leave in Nov/Dec to get my full pay and leave after?

no, you wouldn't get maternity pay if you changed your job now I'm afraid... You could get statutory maternity allowance instead, but that's usually less money.

Try this link for more info, its quite useful

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/index.htm

I'm not sure if you would be entitled to smp if you were to start a new job now that your 12 weeks, but I think you would be entitled to maternity allowance from the government, if you did switch jobs.

Do you just get smp from your employer or do they pay you more, it may be worthwhile to stick it out until you go on maternity leave, then look for another job afterwards?

I feel for you hun, its not nice when you don't enjoy what you do!! :hugs:

We will struggle enough for money over the next 12 months, esp as I want to take the full 52 weeks off. Looks like i'll have to stick at it. Thanks ladies!

you wouldn't get stat mat pay, but if you have worked enough over the last 60 weeks, (which you probably have) then you would get maternity allowance, which is exactly the same amount of money, the only diff is the government pay you directly, rather than your employer ;paying you.

I think the harder question is would anyone hire you now that you are pregnant?! (I hope that doesn't sound bad!!!)

xx

Thats true, but I wouldn't legally have to tell them yet...? TBH don't think I would have much of a chance finding one so quickly!

You only HAVE to tell your employer 15 weeks b4 your due date. By law employers or potential employers are not allowed to discriminate against you (i.e. not give you a job or promotion) because you are pregnant. However we all know the real world doesn't work like that (god I sound cynical). There are a lots of good employers out there but realistically we know that some would give other excuses for not giving a pregnant woman a job.

Also worth checking is your current employers maternity policy. If there mat leave is more generous tha n statutory but you decide not to go back you may find that you have to pay them some money back

pinky, a random question - how do you know what sex you are having if you are only 13 weeks?!

Ninja -it's minimum and nothing's in the contract as it's a golf club and I think I'm their first pregnancy.

Hopeful - I've had some problems and had genetic tests done so that's how we know :)

pinkyprincess oh is it really same amount of money? Sorry I didn't know that. Maybe switching jobs is not such a bad idea after all then.

as to hiding tummy - I went to a job interview at 19 weeks. Not sure if they noticed, but they didn't say anything and offered me the job in the end! So if there is no financial difference, I'd say keep your eyes open and if you see a good job - give it a try! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back