Questions that came to me last night ...

Mildly

Reaction score
Ok as I was lying awake last night I was thinking about packing my hospital bag (which I still haven't done yet :oops: ).

In terms of baby stuff, I was just going to take his changing bag, so I figured I had better pack essentials for a day, as it isn't a huge bag. If we are there over a day OH will have to go home and can pick up supplies. So is 10 nappies the right number for a day? When looking round the delivery ward, there are 5 nappies in the cots as standard so I figured if I take 10 we should be easily ok for a day and night!

Then clothes for him, I was thinking 3x vests, 3x sleepsuits, 2x scratch mitts, 2x hats, 1x going home lfc romper suit, 1x pair of booties and 1x coat. I wasn't going to take a blanket or a towel as I'm pretty sure the hospital will provide them.

Then my second question is regarding the umbilical cord. If all goes well, I am hoping to deliver him in the birthing pool at the hospital but will then need to get out as hospital policy is to deliver the placenta outside of the pool. I'm hoping for a bit of a cuddle straight after birth and then assume I give him to the midwife for the cutting of the cord whilst I get out of the pool. Do they cut the cord as near to you as possible as I assume they are hindered slightly by the fact that the umbilical cord is still attached to you and to LO at this point. Will they cut it first before I get out? And will someone be holding the cord up as I get out so I don't get attached or caught on anything? I'm sorry these are such stupid questions but I have visions of me tripping over and I've never heard anything mentioned about this before :lol:

sorry i dont think im going to be much help but just the image of you tripping up on your umbilical cord just cracked me up :rotfl:. i think it sounds like you'd have enough stuff for Oscar tho, especially if OH can get you more supplies if need be. Tho i must admit i was in hospital for 3 days and got through soo many sleepsuits because we had problems with leaky nappies :( so prehaps take a few extra just in case :)

Havent a clue bout the umbilical cord as i never had a water birth.

However you list of clothes for LO sounds fine, as you said OH can always bring more in if nesessary. Nappies sound fine too, again OH can bring more in. If you do have room maybe pack 1 pack of newborn nappies, thats what i did as the packet isnt that large. I packed everything for LO into a changing bag including nappies.
I did take a blanket to cover LO on the way home, but the hospital does provide blankets for use in the hospital.
If you get say a second bag at home packed with extra items you may need when in hospital then its even easier for OH just to grab and bring :D

Defo get you bag packed as i had a few little items to add such as outfit for me to come home in and found it a struggle to get it together whilst having contractions. I had to rely on OH to grab me something :?
I would not have been able to pack a bag in labour :lol: I couldnt answer the phone at one point, my poor friend i kept cancelling her call as she kept ringing me in the middle of a contraction.

Re: the bag, that sounds OK, but what I would do if pack a "spares" bag for at home, to save your OH hunting around for stuff.

Pack more clothes for yourself and baby, and more nappies etc, then you won't need to give your OH a list of stuff you need, he can just grab the bag :)

I'll wait for waterbirth mummies to answer your other Q

Ah good thinking about the second spares bag, thanks ladies :D

Also another thing whilst I think of it, I've packed two packets of maternity pads but figure I should really get some more for the first week or so at home as I doubt I'll be wanting to head out to the shops to buy more. If the bleeding is quite heavy at first might I be going through one pack of ten a day?

I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing re the umbilical cord, I think the fact that I was reading the NHS pregnancy book last night and there is a picture of a woman holding her baby with the cord still attached just got me thinking :oops: :D

Urchins suggestion was a good one, my OH was very stressed at the idea of having to pack a bag for me, or having to get extra maternity/breast pads etc :lol:
I seem to recall getting quite a few sample nappies in my bounty bag, what with those and the hospital ones i hardly used any that i took with me.

Get loads of pads in for the first week - our first family outing was to boots for some more about 4 days after she was born!

Eva spent most of her first day in hospital robes too cos she was born late at night and i couldnt move after the spinal to dig about in my bag finding her babygros when the nurse offered to clean her up for me. Poor mite was dressed in a towel and a very holey sheet until then :roll: So i hardly used any of our baby clothes in hospital lol

Good luck Mildly, so excited for you :hug:

I've had 2 water births and I honestly don't have a clue what they did regarding the cord I'm afraid. I think they may have cut it before I got out as baby was passed over to my OH before placenta was delivered but please don't take that as gospel. To be honest I was pretty spaced out so everything is quite blurry! But since it isn't a significant memory it obviously wasn't a big deal and there definitely wasn't any tripping!

Really hope you get your water birth cos it was amazing and I couldn't recommend it more highly to anyone. Good luck x

Thanks Clarey :hug: I can't believe it has got to the point where I have to think about this things :D

MummyJess, thanks I'm reassured that the tripping probably won't be an issue :)

Are you actually limited to 5 nappies at the hospital? If you're not sure, check. In my hospital if you ran out you went to the cupboard and got more - they were so busy they just told us to help ourselves rather than have someone get them for you. I took nappies to hospital and never used them so it's worth asking.

At our hospital they also supplied nappies, maternity pads, cotton wool, bath towels for you etc so it might be worth seeing if you can check with someone local about it. It was a case of helping yourself and filling up your bedside cupboard with whatever goodies you needed.

Hello,

I didn't end up using any of the nappies i took to the hospital, they supplied about 5 which did me fine, mind you he was born at 10pm and we left the hospital around 2pm the next afternoon. He did a massive poo when we got home though which scared the (excues the pun) sh*t into me and OH.

I'd get more maternity pad if I were you. The MW suggested that I use two at a time for the first few days to stop any leaks- they are also so much more comfy than normal pad which you realy need after giving birth. I think I stopped doubling up after 4-5 days and stopped using them completely after about a week and a half. They also say you should change them very often to stop infection if you've stiches and stuff.

Can't help with the cord question but that did make me laugh! :lol:

Alex xxx

we took about the same amount of clothes and it wasn't enough as she kept vomiting mucus. She was born on the Monday at 3 am and we went home about 5pm on Tuesday (I had to throw a hissy fit to get discharged). At 2am on the Tuesday I texted OH to tell him to bring more clothes the next day as we had run out!

Newborn never fitted DD so make sure you take 0-3 stuff.

Oh no the thought of the cord dangling and me trying to climb out of the pool has just put a big dent in things haha Not a nice thought!

Thanks girls :D

At our tour they made a big point of mentioning that we need to bring our own nappies so although they probably will supply if necessary, I think they don't really want to! I will check with my midwife about maternity pads and cotton wool though as it would save space in the bag!

Alex, I shall head out tomorrow and stock up on maternity pads. I know OH would go out and get some for me, he's pretty good at that kind of stuff but I don't really want to send him out as he'll be wanting to get to know Oscar :D

kalia, I only bothered buying 0-3 as I'm quite tall and my bump is already huge so I reckon he will be long if not big at birth. At least you managed through one day with the amount of clothing you had, I am definitely going to get the spare bag packed and ready to go in case we need it.

lea, lol, sorry, I bet you wouldn't have thought of it until you read this thread! :oops:

Every hospital has different policies, so it would be worth finding out from your midwife EXACTLY what the hospital will supply for you. We have to take everything into ours, including sheets and blankets for the cot and towels for yourself and baby. Hospital dont supply a thing, not even a nappy. I have packed 2 towels for myself, one for immeidately after giving birth and a separate one for later as obviously the first one will get blood on. And then a separate towel for baby also. Ive had to pack sheets and blanket, and clothes-wise I have packed practically the same as you. Only intend to stay one night, so trying to keep things to a minimum.

As for maternity towels and nappies, I would say to change both every 2/3 hours or so for the first couple of days, so you will probably go through 8-12 nappies and possibly more towels - especially if you double up. The bleeding can be quite extensive and if you need stitches or anything will have to be as clean as possible to avoid infection....plus it gives you a bit of cushioning to sit on when sore after birth! :oops: :shhh:

Regarding the umbilical cord, I really have no idea how it will work, as this will be my first waterbirth too, last time I was on dry land! I would imagine they still cut the cord fairly close to baby as they would in any other scenario, and leave it trailing from you as they will usually pull on it a little to help it deliver. Cant see it being an issue really, even if it is hanging from you, it wont hang that low that you should trip on it. I have been given the choice of delivering the placenta in the pool naturally or I can get out to have the injection to help it along. Not sure yet what Im gonna do TBH, gonna wait and see how I feel at the time.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Mildly said:
Will they cut it first before I get out? And will someone be holding the cord up as I get out so I don't get attached or caught on anything? I'm sorry these are such stupid questions but I have visions of me tripping over and I've never heard anything mentioned about this before :lol:

:rotfl: I know that shouldn't be funny, but that just cracked me up!!!! Oh the visions, and the shame! :rotfl:

I would pack sleepsuits of different sizes. Our son only weighed 5lb 3oz when he was born, so everything was too big for him. This time I've packed several sleepsuits of varying sizes. Hats and a cardigan and a blanket for when we come home from hospital. I've packed a pack of nappies too as they weren't supplied at our hospital. I've also packed nappy sacks and cotton wool.

I would get your hospital bag packed though if I was you. You don't want to be rushing around remembering everything if things start to happen. Take plenty of maternity towels as others have said as you do need to change them frequently.

Take enough essentials for a couple of days in case you're in overnight. If you're in any longer than that, your DH can bring supplies into you.

I've got all my supplies in one place at home so it will be easy for DH to bring things in for me, that said he was a star last time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back