Question...

Samantha55

Reaction score
Okay so this is my first pregnancy and was just wondering about breast feeding/ bottle feeding in hospital. I'm not decided yet but want to try to breast feed for a few weeks if I can. Then move onto bottles but may use bottles from the start, still weighing up my options. Am keen for hubby to be able to feed baby as soon as possible also.

My question is- if I end up having to stay in hospital for longer than the minimum and we do decide to bottle feed what do I need to take to hospital? As in how many bottles, formula etc? Also will I need to takea steriliser system in my hospital bag just in case it's an extended stay or will the hospital have provisions to sterilise bottles if we take that route?

Thanks in advance for any responses! X

Hey Hun with regards to bottle feeding in hospital I would just wait and see how long u are in for and ask the mw's advice u could always have everything ready and set aside just incase and get someone to bring it to hospital if u need it. I'm planning on breast feeding but if baby doesn't play the game I'm going to express which the mw's show u how to do without the need for a breast pump so u can do it by hand and give it to ur baby in a cup. Tbh I would just play it by ear as u don't know if u decide to breast feed babba might not take to it plus u dont know how long I will b in for. I felt a bit worried bout it and disorganised but went to a breast feeding class and she went through all different scenarios and how to overcome them so I feel a lot calmer now and I'm just gonna wait and see ill prob have some formula sterilised bottles set aside for oh to pick up just incase though x

BF, at least for a little while will do you and babe a lot of good. I'm quite pro bf so I hope I don't sound topushy here.

It is significantly easier once you get going than faffing about sterlising etc. when your ready to introduce bottles, or if you NEED to in hospital. MWs will help you express by hand so LO still gets goodness of BM. IMO this is quite important for antibodies particularly at the moment as there are a lot of illnesses on the go that LOs will eventually get jabs for but can be quite dangerous - whopping cough, measles etc - so when your decided remember to consider your LO could do with some of your antibodies against these. Plus bf totally helps you get back to sleep during the night as it releases hormones - I used to get DH to do nappy changes etc while I popped LO on and stayed half asleep. Lol

It's prob worth checking with your own MW/hospital what their policies are especially re sterilers etc as this can vary HUGELY from place to place. Some hospitals support FF in emergency situations only and will not sterilising for general use at all, where as others are more relaxed.

Hey hun! Hope you're doing well and enjoying your pregnancy.

This question totally applies to me and is actually something I was wanting to discuss with the MW at 31 wk appointment. I too, have no idea if I should take in formula etc, sterlilsers incase I can't BF. I'm at least going to try for babahs sake but I refuse to beat myself up about it if I can't manage. So would rather be prepared :) x

Sent from my BlackBerry using TapaTalk

Thank you for the replies girls, was really helpful. I will also discuss this with my MW then nearer the time. I think I want to try to breast feed but just didn't know if it would be for me in the long run but I know it is good for baby so wanted to try and see how it goes etc.

There's just so much to think about becoming a mummy, it is a little overwhelming at times!

Looking forward to meeting my little baby now xxx

I've bought a pack of the premade formula which is already in little bottles and ready to feed. I'm taking these into hospital in case something doesn't work out with breast feeding.

I'm not going to put pressure on myself to breast feed, I'll give it my best shot and hopefully it works xx

Definitely ask your midwife, as all hospitals have different policies or whatever.

If I were to bottle feed I'd probably go for the easy option in hospital and get the ready made bottles.

Try and be positive though...you will only be in the minimum time :)

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Oh that's a great idea, I had no idea you could buy ready made formula! Will look at that too. Thanks ladies, am deffinitely hoping I will sneeze, out pops baby then a few hours later I go home!! Hehe, one can dream! X

When I had my first I was so exhausted after a LONG labour followed by emergancy section that although I tried breast feeding, I just had no energy to even hold him up! The hospital had large stocks of the pre-made bottles and just bought them to me when I needed them.

I was very luck though, as soon as I had more energy I stuck him on the boob and he was fine with the change.

Definitely ask because all hospitals are different. Last year my hospital stopped providing formula for bottle fed babies but they still have sterilised bottles available. Everywhere is different.

I was at the hospital today for an appointmnet at the MADU and noticed that there were signs up saying that as of Jul 13 they were no longer going to provide formular. They will provde pre-steralised bottles but ask you not to bring your own as they have no facilities to do it themselves. So, on the back of that, I would say you will need to check with your individual hospital to know what their policy is!

Okay thanks for the advice, will ask MW when I see her Weds then xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back