Question about nursing homes

I think if she is nervous about being at home, even with a carer then respite for a month or two in a care home would be good. If she doesn't wish it to be permanent, then it won't be. Also once there she will have access to GP and other services and things like physio can be arranged with help from the care home. Its not like she'll only be there with no other facilities availabe to her to help her recover.

They provide hairdressers, activities staff, outings, chiropodists and so on. She should have a decent group of people to interact with and staff on call 24/7 but her own space should she wish it.

I think respite is a good option. I am also for people keeping their independance but sometimes after an injury they become too nervous to want to go straight home, and sometimes sending them there with a home carer stopping in has a negative effect and they end up back in hospital or in a care home needing more care than ever. But if she feels she would like to try at home first, then of course she should be encouraged. However as has been mentioned it may mean some changes to her home, including hoists, bathing aids etc. Some need proper fitting into walls etc. If her bedroom and bathroom are upstairs she may need to consider moving downstairs or else its something like a stair lift (not a small job to have fitted and not sure who has to pay for that and I can assure you its not cheap to install). Care homes will have all facilities including proper bathing and shower facilites and lifts to get between floors. Could you Mums neighbour cope with all the changes that might need to happen to her home if she went back now? And as it is hoped its only temporary would she want to? If her cast is due off in 6 weeks then its a lot of work and changes to make to her home that is hoped to only be temporary. Just a thought.

Another thing to note, there are waiting lists, but often these are for the beds paid for by the Gov. Private fee payers rooms can usually be found in a number of homes at any given time. The last place I was in had a heap of private rooms empty (and also with better facilities, ie, larger rooms and en suite instead of just a sink and a commode) and a waiting list for its blocked beds that were for state funded persons.

Good luck :)

The home I work in is run by the sisters of mercy. Although its catholics, you dont have to be catholic, and they are a non profit organisation, its only £350p/w, all the rooms are ensuite, and there are 6 little flats. All the staff are NVQ3 minimum.

I would look about your area for a similar place, charity status doesn't mean its gonna be bad, often the opposite. Although these places can have massive waiting lists. We do as we get the same people coming for repite that have been coming for years.

Thanks everyone :D I will pass all this on to my mom :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back