Potty training

JenKat

Reaction score
My son is 2.5 years old and we've been potty training the last two days. Generally it's gone fairly well. I just wanted some advice about whether or not I'm doing this right.

He is naked from the bottom all day (we've been home all weekend). The only exceptions are when he is asleep (we are not ready for taking nappies off for sleep yet).
Currently we are sitting him on the potty every 20 minutes, sometimes he refuses so just sits for a minute. Sometimes he'll happily sit for 15 minutes, that's when we have the most success. We also sit him straight after meals and straight after naps.

I'm just wondering, as we move forward, am I doing this right? Obviously I hope the intervals will get longer until he is eventually able to tell me that he needs to go. And I hope we can gradually move back to using trousers.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Yes you're doing well Mum!
But don't despair if there are regressions. Some days they will just wee their pants constantly and some days will go perfectly. But don't give up! I had to install a reward system with stickers.
Every time she would pee in her potty, she would get a sticker and could stick it on the paper above the potty. On the paper, there were a few rows of wee in potties and a few rows of poo. She loved getting stickers so much that after a while, she would sit down for a tiny wee and ask for a sticker.
But don't give up, there is a a narrow window between 2 and 2 and a half and if you miss it, it can take until age 5 to start over again.
Good luck!x

But don't despair if there are regressions. Some days they will just wee their pants constantly and some days will go perfectly. But don't give up! I had to install a reward system with stickers.
Every time she would pee in her potty, she would get a sticker and could stick it on the paper above the potty. On the paper, there were a few rows of wee in potties and a few rows of poo. She loved getting stickers so much that after a while, she would sit down for a tiny wee and ask for a sticker.
But don't give up, there is a a narrow window between 2 and 2 and a half and if you miss it, it can take until age 5 to start over again.
Good luck!x
What do you mean about the narrow window? We have been trying to train our almost 2.5 year old without success and have stopped so now I’m worrying we won’t be able to until she’s 5???

@Netty13 you will hun I trained my eldest at 2 yrs 9 months and she took to it excellent dry day and night straight away would not look at a pull up again. Think she had one accident during the day but she’s 10 now and has never ever wet the bed x

Edited to add I’m not bragging or talking rubbish here either I was just very lucky x

My son is 2.5 years old and we've been potty training the last two days. Generally it's gone fairly well. I just wanted some advice about whether or not I'm doing this right.

He is naked from the bottom all day (we've been home all weekend). The only exceptions are when he is asleep (we are not ready for taking nappies off for sleep yet).
Currently we are sitting him on the potty every 20 minutes, sometimes he refuses so just sits for a minute. Sometimes he'll happily sit for 15 minutes, that's when we have the most success. We also sit him straight after meals and straight after naps.

I'm just wondering, as we move forward, am I doing this right? Obviously I hope the intervals will get longer until he is eventually able to tell me that he needs to go. And I hope we can gradually move back to using trousers.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

We are about to start potty training my son who turns 3 next month. We are going for the naked approach, it worked well with my older son for wees. I’ve just ordered a waterproof blanket to put over the sofa!

Once they understand can put clothes on, obviously it’s normal to have accidents whilst they get used to it. My son has a speech and language delay so we’ve waited until he’s closer to 3 to start.

I think the right time to do it varies from child to child, my eldest was 3 and got the hang of wees of the potty within a few days. Good luck xx

Good luck!x

Thank you, that's very reassuring to hear! At the moment the reward for him seems to be getting to flush the toilet when he's gone in the potty. He gets VERY excited about being allowed to "push the button" but maybe if that novelty wears off we'll have to move to another reward.

I just hope that we will get to the point where he's not just peeing because I keep sitting him on the potty every half hour, but because he realised himself that he needs to go.

We are about to start potty training my son who turns 3 next month. We are going for the naked approach, it worked well with my older son for wees. I’ve just ordered a waterproof blanket to put over the sofa!

Once they understand can put clothes on, obviously it’s normal to have accidents whilst they get used to it. My son has a speech and language delay so we’ve waited until he’s closer to 3 to start.

I think the right time to do it varies from child to child, my eldest was 3 and got the hang of wees of the potty within a few days. Good luck xx

Can you say anything else about the approach you'll be using or have used? I know some people just watch for cues and try and sit their child on the potty when they start peeing. This hasn't worked well for us as he just completely empties his bladder on the floor and then there's nothing left to go in the potty. So we're using intervals to prompt him, but I don't know what's right/better?

Oh no I didn't want to make you worry! That is what they told me at the check up because I was complaining that she started wetting herself constantly after being almost dry for 2 weeks and it took about a week before she started peeing on the potty again. They told me not to give in because she will understand that she will be given a nappy if she keeps on weeing her trousers and it will be harder to get her to use the potty after.x

Oh no I didn't want to make you worry! That is what they told me at the check up because I was complaining that she started wetting herself constantly after being almost dry for 2 weeks and it took about a week before she started peeing on the potty again. They told me not to give in because she will understand that she will be given a nappy if she keeps on weeing her trousers and it will be harder to get her to use the potty after.x

No I totally appreciate the advice. Sharing tips is so important.
Things have progressed a bit over the last few days. He still has a lot of accidents in the morning, I think because he drinks a lot when he first gets up. But he's also doing a lot of pees in the potty and one poo in the toilet. I am learning that this is a long long process with ups and downs. But I'd like to stick with it as I can see that we have made some progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back