Positive OPK when to BD

hopefulmum2014

Reaction score
When you get a positive OPK when should you BD? I find it confusing because lots of the apps are all for BD'ing before the positive OPK & like 1 day after but positive OPK means you are likely to ov in next 24 - 36 hours and the egg can survive 24 hours so why do the apps says last fertile day after positive OPK? xx

I think ovulation varies from person to person, I'm in my 40s and I have read that late 30s, early 40s mostly all women ovulate just before the positive opk. I always thought it was 12-36 hours after but I would say it's best to cover 2 days before positive opk and 2 days after just to be sure. xx

I think 24 hrs is the maximum an egg is fertile and in some cases will begin to degrade before that but sperm can easily survive a couple days in the right conditions and possibly up to 5 days. It also takes a while for the sperm to work its way up the tubes. The idea is that having the sperm already waiting fo the egg gives it the best chance of sperm meeting egg while still in top condition. In reality I'm sure it varies a lot acording to the individual and the cycle so there is no way of knowing the ideal moment but I think sudies have shown that in general the best chance of getting pregnant is from sex the day before positive OPK. But that doesn't mean it cant work after too. I got pregnant when I got a positive OPK in the afternoon and jumped OH right away, lol. We hadn't dtd in about a week because I hadn't been feeling well so I know it was from after the OPK. So from my experience still well worth having after covered :).

Last edited:
You can get a postive OPK and still not ovulate for up to 48 hours. Our doc said in warm conditions sperm can live about 3 days, less in colder (I mean the weather, not your body). Day before you ovulate is best but as you can only pinpoint that to within a few days, we are aiming for every other day in fertile window. An ovulation microscope will track the estrogen peak which occurs before the LH peak, so can help you locate the time just before the positive OPK test, especially helpful if your cycles are all over the place. If you track your basal temp you may start to get an idea of when after a positive opk you ovulate as well as ovulation pain. You can always start dtd once the EWCM starts too. We try a slightly different approach every month!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back