PND... Hope you dont mind me posting this in here...

On the issue of meds I was started on a low dose at first visit with dr and had them increased they really helped me. However I bowed down to public attitudes and came off the far to quickly and crashed !! Was worse than when I was originally diagnosed went back on tablets and counselling and got better came off the tablets sensible and have been fine.
Do think it's dangerous to tell people they shouldn't take meds for depression. With all Due respect none of us knows exactly what Lauren is feeling even those of us who have suffered pnd.
Society had put major stigma on depression and treatments. I for one always admit I have suffered I needed meds but I came through the other side. Many thing is to listen not judge or force out opinions on others xxx

Seeking help isnt a sign of weakness so dont ever think that. Going to seek help means your an excellent mother as you have noticed something isnt right and you want to change that for your family. Hope all goes well today and you get the support you need.

S
xx

:hugs:

I hope the doctor offers you counselling rather than pills, please seriously consider it before you start taking anything, some ppl find it very difficult to come off them again, my friend came off them after 3 years & felt suicidal, just be careful.

Please be careful offering advice like this. This is why sooo many people do not get the medication they require. Depression is a chemical imbalance, and therefore usually requires chemicals to help solve this problem.

Yes counciling is helpful as well. And as with all drugs some people (usually very few) suffer unfortunate side effects - but sharing horror stories like this just adds to the taboo of being on anti depressants!

Absolutely disagree. Would like to see proof.

I think people (in general) are too quick to use anti-depressants, not everyone obviously but we have a culture of it. I agree it works with some people though.

Having suicidal thoughts is something that can happen when you come off them, it isn't a horror story, its the truth & i'm sure its in the "side effects". All I meant was just make absolute sure before taking anything that your comfortable with it & know the implications.

I'm almost positive that tablets wont be advised on a doctors first visit anyway, its normally absolute last resort. So I cant imagine it being an issue just now anyway.

:)

Various studies over the last 30 plus years have shown that those with depression have lower levels of chemicals such as serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.

One of the major reasons that suicidal thoughts can occur when coming off antidpressants is because people do not stop them properly, research has shown that that they should be slowed gradually - also if people stop them while still "depressed" they are likely to have symptoms of depression - which can include suicidal thoughts.

As someone who has suffered from depression, and been a major carer for others with depression, i can assure you that tablets can often be the only thing that works, and as they take a while to become effective, should not be used as an "absoltute last resort", but incombination with other treatments.

REading the information with any drug is important, but to tell someone not consider not using antidepressants because of the risk of suicidal thoughts, is akin to telling someone not to take aspirin because it carries a risk of gastric bleeding. Yes - these side effects happen, but for the vast majority of people the benefits far out way the risk of them.

And its attitudes like this - that antidepressants should only be an "absolute last resort" that make mental illness a taboo subject, depsite the fact that 1 in 3 people will suffer from it.

As someone who has suffered from depression, and been a major carer for others with depression, i can assure you that tablets can often be the only thing that works, and as they take a while to become effective, should not be used as an "absoltute last resort", but incombination with other treatments.

REading the information with any drug is important, but to tell someone not consider not using antidepressants because of the risk of suicidal thoughts, is akin to telling someone not to take aspirin because it carries a risk of gastric bleeding. Yes - these side effects happen, but for the vast majority of people the benefits far out way the risk of them.

And its attitudes like this - that antidepressants should only be an "absolute last resort" that make mental illness a taboo subject, depsite the fact that 1 in 3 people will suffer from it.[/QUOTE]

I was diagnosed with depression a couple of years ago which resulted in me spending time in a hospital for a couple of months. I was given citalopram (20mg) I came off them in may ( I was 4 months pregnant) I havent taken them since and havent felt like I have needed to take them. I was sent to councellors but talking about what had happened just didnt help.....I knew why I was depressed (my life totally changed in the space of a year...leaving an amazing job to get married.....marriage breakdown (I was 23!) and 12 friends/collegues dying in a plane crash) By nature Im a strong person who always seems to help others before Ill help myself, and I put a brave face on for nearly 4 years. No amount of talking could change any of that and talking to strangers just didnt help me. Going on meds changed my life and saved me! There is so much stigma with depression/anti depressants. It is a horrible illness that destroys families. With out the tablets I most definately wouldnt be here today. Falling pregnant made me the happiest I I have ever been. Looking at my babygirl everyday makes me realise how lucky I was that 1 doctor tried me on those tablets!

I think giving negative advice to someone who has plucked up the courage to seek help is disgusting!

Sorry to gatecrash your post Hun.

S
xx

Hope went ok at the doctors. I have been where you are and dont think ever really recovered. Luckily as I have moved this time I have a really good hv who sees me every two weeks. After today's events not sure that will be enough to get me through. You need to see what works best for you counselling, medication or both. Hopefully by admitting it you will feel a bit better. You should be proud of yourself x

Hey Lauren I'm going through the same battle at the moment or thats how it feels anyway. Hope all went well at docs today if u wanna chat am here I find it helps me!

Hope it went well at gp today and you've got the help you need, whatever route that is xxx

Hope everything went ok to day lauren and that you got the help that you need.

Everybody has different opinions but as somebody said none of us know how lauren is feeling and therefore no one can really tell her what will work for her. We should remember the main reason why we all clicked on this thread and replied... Because we want to support her (whatever our opinion)

xx

Little miss don't want u to think my post was aimed to u. Just wanted to make the point that Lauren needs to make her decision. Have read a few post on PND and people do go as far as saying don't take meds admittedly not on this post. I suffered and was quite bad and one point held a knife to my wrist (this was when I crashed after stopping meds too quick) and it was the meds and counselling that got me through. I to was on citalipram 30mg an had cpn support. It also really helps having family support which I think I have mentioned on another post.
I know dr can prescribe anti depressants very quickly but often they r needed and not always addictive or hard to come off.
I'm sorry if anyone thought my post was directed at them xxx

My post was by know means aimed at u and I dont want u to think that i thought u were saying dont take meds. But also wanted to make the point that meds can help. I too know someone dependent on meds for depression but it's not pnd. Most people I know who have suffered have come off meds within couple of years max. think this is such a sensitive issue with alot of different opinions. Main thing is to b here for Lauren if she needs us.
Sorry again if u thought I was attacking u didn't mean it to come across that way xx

Yeah tbh I thought all the last few posts were aimed at me. I only said be careful & others responded almost as if I had said dont take pills. Ive not been involved in any depression threads. I have family members & close friends who have been on pills for years & couldn't function w/out them. But on the other hand I know sometimes they can be given out too quickly (sometimes being the important word there) - no harm at all in researching something before doing it, im suprised i've been slated for that tbh.

I wasnt slating you but I think you saying about your friend who was suicidal...this is the wrong post to be saying it. Lauren needs support not horror stories! As someone who has suffered from depression it hit me hard that you were just seeing the negative side!

s
xx

I hope the doctor offers you counselling rather than pills, please seriously consider it before you start taking anything, some ppl find it very difficult to come off them again, my friend came off them after 3 years & felt suicidal, just be careful.

Sometimes I wonder if having a baby is stressful or if its just my way of looking at life that makes it stressful. I have no option but to get up at 7 & get the day started & take both LO's out on the trek to school, no matter how often i'm up thro night, I was doing skl run 3 days after LO born, And my house needs to be tidy coz I've got another LO to look after. But you on the other hand, you dont HAVE to do the tidying & cleaning coz you are a first time mum & you should be enjoying your time snuggled up in sofa with LO & do maybe an hour of tidying at night & once a week give house a good scrub. You've just had a baby, your baby is taking up all of your time. Every single one of us wants to be supermums, some ppl keep trying & others dont bother coz they know they will fail.

Do you not think that your post is patronising and hurtful! highlighting certain words in capitals! Lauren is obvisously a proud woman and like her house in order so yes maybe she HAS TO HAVE A TIDY HOUSE!

Im not been funny but you nearly always seem to put a negative post (you have on 1 of mine) this forum is for help and advice...not for negative suggestions!....starting a reply off with "
I hope the doctor offers you counselling rather than pills, please seriously consider it before you start taking anything, some ppl find it very difficult to come off them again, my friend came off them after 3 years & felt suicidal, just be careful. " is not the thing to do on a post for a woman who is trying to be brave for her family!

hmm lets try to mediate the situation!

I understand what little miss meant... Sometimes it is extremely hard to come of anti depressants and it can send people back to square one. But at the same time sometimes if you are given the right form of medication and it is used properly and is reduced over time and in the correct then it can also sometimes help.

I'm sure lauren or anybody else would only take advice from her GP about medication etc... Which to be fair, wouldn't we all?!

If you both read back posts i think you were agreeing on some things just failed to see it.

Hope your ok Lauren!

that isn't how I started my post, you failed to put in the smilie which was a hug. A friendly hug to say we're all here for you. I thought the smilies were used regularly to express emotion???

I really dont get how you think my post was negative. I was giving advice, wasn't being horrible in any way. I thought the forum was for giving advice. Ok you can maybe fault me for bringing up my friend (although im still not convinced I did anything wrong) but you cant say I wasn't giving advice. Your making out like I am always horrible or something.

It really seems like your just trying to pick things out of this that aren't there.

Im gona pm you as I dont think people arguing on laurens post will help her in any way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back