Chances of getting PND with baby no. 2?

KJL

Reaction score
Well I'm not PG just yet but hoping to be in the near future :pray: Although I'm excited about the prospect I am also a wee bit terrified :( I had extreme PND with Layla and bad prenatal depression also for my last 2 months. I am just terrified about the same thing happening again. I can't bare having to go through it another time and also losing out on the first few precious wks of motherhood again. I just feel so sad that I missed out with Layla as being a new mum should bring so much joy and fulfillment yet I was in hospital feeling suicidal and broken. I know I have a good support network, my GP, my hubby and family but I hated the worry I caused them last time round. I did luckily pull through the PND when Layla was about 6wks and the medication etc helped. I just came off my anti-depressants in November and am feeling absolutely great and fine. I have never had any depressions issues in my life etc so PND was my first taster.

The dr suggested anti-depressants through pregnancy but I am a bit worried about it. She did say I can stay off them and then if things start to slide I can start taking them. She also advised I go straight onto anti-dep for about a month after the next baby just to prevent a relapse etc.

For mothers who have had more than 1 baby and experienced PND, what, in your experience is the likely hood of it happening again.

Thanks

I had very slight pnd with harrison (my 2nd) nothing nearly as bad as the first time

Babylicious said:
I had very slight pnd with harrison (my 2nd) nothing nearly as bad as the first time

Yeah I have been told that normally if you do get it a second time it often isn't as bad...that's what I hope anyway :(

I had severe PND and tried to take my life :shock: so I was being watched very carefully. I did get it slightly but have coped and I knew what to look out for xx

You'll be fine - just watch how you feel, you know the signs :hug:

Babylicious said:
I had severe PND and tried to take my life :shock: so I was being watched very carefully. I did get it slightly but have coped and I knew what to look out for xx

Really sorry to hear that, I know how you felt, I was really that low too :hug: I am hoping it doesn't get that bad again but was so worried my GP told me I have 60% chance of a relapse :(

This is interesting to know for me too, as I have it pretty bad at the moment :(

Interestingly my mum didn't have it with her 1st or 3rd child, but did with her 2nd. So it is possible to go on and have another child without PND. Thats what I'm clinging to anyway.

I think I would also opt for some counselling or something before baby arrived if it was available.
:hug:

I had very mild PND with James (though I didn't know it at the time) and an episode of postnatal psychosis.
I got the PND really bad this time around, though some women don't get it again at all.

Good luck ttc and I hope you don't get the pnd again :hug: :hug:

This is what worries me about having another baby :( I developed PND when Jacob was 4 months old and I felt like I was in a living hell! I NEVER want to go there again :pray:

Good luck with TTC and I hope everything works out well for you :hug:

I had severe PND with DS (for 2 years I cant remember alot I was so far removed from the world) and it was a major factor in not wanting anymore I was very scared having DD and was very depressed at the start of my pregnancy due to the shock and worry.

I think since having her though my mental health has been the best it ever has been so its not all bad and of course you and your family know what might happen so you can talk about what you might do if it reoccurs.

I got PND after I had my second! I was still on pills when I got pregnant with my third so didnt take any chances and took them as soon as she was born! I did the same again this time with Lola as I have never shook the depression and have been on and off pills for the whole 8.5 years! :(

i had bad pre natal and post natal depression with my first but only had slight pnd with my 2nd

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back