Plz help a desperate mum !

maldives

Reaction score
That's me :cry:

My wee man is not a good eater..he doesn't usually eat much..and is sooo picky in tastes soo it's soo difficult to introduce new things and I end up mixing things in small quantities until he gets used to them....

My Pediatrician recommended me mixing fruit in the morning with his cereal as he doesn't like fruit by it self and soo far it kind of worked...

She also recommended introducing chicken and fish...I started mixing chicken with his vegge puress in the evenings..(he still has no teeth and finds it difficult to have anything but purees).. he liked the taste but ended up eating half the portions he usually eats when it's only veggies... is it cause chicken is heavy for him and fills him up fast??

I am thinking of introducing eggs instead...is it true that the white is not suitable for babies under 1 year?? and soo shall I just boil an egg and mix it with his veggies???

last thing...Dr recommended giving him a multi-vitamin syrup to supplement his diet..it smells strong and as i expected he didn't like it...it says it can be taken with water or milk what shall i do???

I am so desperate for me Little man to eat a more varied diet but what can I do if it's just purees and only some kind of veggis he likes only :( oh yeah he can take yogurt mixed with veggies is this a good source for protein for his age?

me personally, I would scrap the purees and give finger foods. Strips of steamed veg with some strips of chicken were a fave of Cally's. Also a boiled egg cut into quarters, with toast, or scrambled eggs with toast are liked too - I give her both the yolk and the white, just make sure it is cooked thoroughly. You may find a lot of it ends on the floor but don't panic, as the saying goes "food before one is only for fun". Let him get used to tastes and textures - something he can't do with purees. He should be getting the majority of his nutrients from his milk so really don't worry about how much solids he is eating.

Thanx beanie...problem is once I tried giving him a lump not even a finger food as such it was a lump in his baby cereal but he couldn't eat it!! he's totally used to purees and I know not much taste is there..but I guess I will try some boiled or steamed carrot and see how he takes it...

He is taking milk nicely but I was dissapointed when I saw his not having his foods as normal....

Thanx any way and I'll try something new next time. :hug:

Evie used to gag and puke when she encountered lumps in her food... and then only a day or two after the last puking episode (cauliflower cheese, I was covered in it... nice!) she has dealt with pasta stars well... she still gags sometimes but I think they develop in such leaps at the moment just keep perservering and he'll get the hang of it..

I was also told you should give them lumps as lumos rather than lumps in smooth food as that can cause a problem as they aren't expecting it! I have been breaking off tiny bits of banana and giving them on my finger and she has done really well. i actually did this between the puky cauliflower cheese and the pasta and i think it really helped her..

if you have to stick to purees i like a lot in the anabel karmel books such as,

lentil puree
sweet potato, spinach and pea
sweet vegetable medley

J
xxx

When you intorduce lumps in purees its a bit like you having some soup and swallowing it to find a lump of food in there - with finger foods they understand that they have to bite bits off and learn to swallow them - its not such a surprise. There may be gagging (which is very different from choking) but this is them learning about their gag reflex. The carrot sounds like a good plan :hug:

Thanx ladies...I tried the carrot but he seemed to know how to spit it out LOOL he did it with his toungue!! I don't know really if I should keep on trying this way from now or wait till he is a bit older! I guess I'll give him a break coz once he is disturbed but something while he is eating he won't be interested any more in eating ...

beanie said:
When you intorduce lumps in purees its a bit like you having some soup and swallowing it to find a lump of food in there - with finger foods they understand that they have to bite bits off and learn to swallow them - its not such a surprise. There may be gagging (which is very different from choking) but this is them learning about their gag reflex. The carrot sounds like a good plan :hug:

That's exactly what i found....Violet doesn't like lumps in purees but will happily eat all finger food. I'd definately do that. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back