pledge allegiance to Britain

muppetmummy said:
I agree, it would be nice to give Scotland independence but I'm not sure it would benefit either Scotland or England in the long term.

You know there's a very small minority of people in Cornwall who want Cornwall to have independence from the rest of Britain! How long would they last on their own! :lol:

I had heard about cornwall! I swear I read that The simpsons we're going to do an episode where Lisa's supports their independence!

I've been and read a bit about this online. I know this must be a big issue for Scottish folk but being English myself I have a problem with it from a religious stand point and also from the common sense stand point that reciting a pledge not only proves nothing about my feeling towards this country as a British citizen but also that actions speak louder than words. Any old dole cheating, tax evading, law breaking citizen can recite a pledge, its what you do as a citizen for this country that matters. If children start saying it in school Isaac will be excluded along with the majority of the children I think, and how will it make children feel who belong to other cultures and religions. The whole thing is ludicrous :roll: I'm surprised you are all for it Budge to be honest :)

Pledge allegiance my arse. As far as I can see, wasn't it Donald Rumsfeld who suggested this when he visited the other day? Or something. Why the heck should we be like America? Look at where pledging allegiance got them :roll: I think it's an idiotic idea,it opens the door for all sorts of problems. Why on earth would i pledge allegiance to a monarch who's never done anything for anybody, and who is German anyway :lol: hahahaha I can really see all the Sinn Fein lot happily pledging allegiance to the Queen...not!

lou said:
Misslarue said:
I've just read that there will be Tuition fee and council tax rebates for volunteers.

............I take it all back, I'm all for it! :wink: :wink: :rotfl:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287984.stm

Now is that blackmail or bribery :think:

More like b8llocks to me!
Its only been 'suggested'.................these things are easily taken back.
The tution fee rebate could be good for many school leavers, although I didn't think all nations paid tution fees? :think: so that may only benefit some.
Either way, sounds like more 'government incentives' to me.

Misslarue said:
lou said:
Misslarue said:
I've just read that there will be Tuition fee and council tax rebates for volunteers.

The tution fee rebate could be good for many school leavers, although I didn't think all nations paid tution fees? :think: so that may only benefit some.

But what are they trying to achieve? More Britishness? They'll be giving people with British Bulldog tattoos council tax reductions next :roll: Bloody hell that would cost the government millions :lol:

I have voted - Definately!

I am proud to be English, I love this country and it's history. I would not have a problem with celebrating this fact. People from other countries incuding immigrants in the UK embrace their own culture and traditions and celebrate them. It's a shame the people of this country can't do the same. :roll:

Sweetcheeks24 said:

I am proud to be English, I love this country and it's history. I would not have a problem with celebrating this fact. People from other countries incuding immigrants in the UK embrace their own culture and traditions and celebrate them. It's a shame the people of this country can't do the same. :roll:

But you aren't religious are you?

Sweetcheeks24 said:

But if you swore allegiance to Britain you'd be calling yourself British rather than English. Being English isn't the same as being British

Sweetcheeks24 said:

hun its not England they are talking about, but Great Britian.

Lou what has religion got to do with it, I keep seeing your posts referring to religion but from my understanding this has nothing to do with it. This is something for Muslims/Christians/Catholics/Athiests etc to all take part in. Being British doesn't mean being religous.

I have my beliefs, was brought up in the church. No sure what I consider myself at moment though - if you wanted a direct reply.

MissLarue, I know they are talking about GB, I am still English though but IMO independence wouldn't work for all 4 sides. We work together so if that means it being classed as pledging alegience (sp? sorry) to GB then thats fine.

This is how I see pledging and what it means to me:

Not to focus on people as Christians/Muslims etc etc, we are all British and we all love this country so why not see ourselves as one rather than putting a difference between ourselves. Valuing the education system and all working to improve that including with our own children. Being proud of a country that respects everyones beliefs, yes we still have our problems but I tell you what we are a million times more tolerant than some countries. :? We live in a country were we are free to vote, man or woman.

There are points of this country the need improving - definately but why not celebrate the things we get right :think:

Hope I worded ok, not too good at making my point :lol:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Lou what has religion got to do with it, I keep seeing your posts referring to religion but from my understanding this has nothing to do with it. This is something for Muslims/Christians/Catholics/Athiests etc to all take part in. Being British doesn't mean being religous.

I have my beliefs, was brought up in the church. No sure what I consider myself at moment though - if you wanted a direct reply.

MissLarue, I know they are talking about GB, I am still English though but IMO independence wouldn't work for all 4 sides. We work together so if that means it being classed as pledging alegience (sp? sorry) to GB then thats fine.

This is how I see pledging and what it means to me:

Not to focus on people as Christians/Muslims etc etc, we are all British and we all love this country so why not see ourselves as one rather than putting a difference between ourselves. Valuing the education system and all working to improve that including with our own children. Being proud of a country that respects everyones beliefs, yes we still have our problems but I tell you what we are a million times more tolerant than some countries. :? We live in a country were we are free to vote, man or woman.

There are points of this country the need improving - definately but why not celebrate the things we get right :think:

Hope I worded ok, not too good at making my point :lol:

I mention religion because what I have read about it on the internet mentioned religion and that it would mean swearing an oath to god queen and country. Don't be so bloody arsey!

lou said:
I mention religion because what I have read about it on the internet mentioned religion and that it would mean swearing an oath to god queen and country. Don't be so bloody arsey!

I'd love to know how you managed to take my post the wrong way :? I asked you a question.. the same as you asked me one. A simple answer would have done :shakehead:

lou said:
Misslarue said:
lou said:
Misslarue said:

But what are they trying to achieve? More Britishness?

Omg Lou!! I could really get into a huge post about the map of the regions and regional assemblies etc etc but I am running so late today because of this thread! :lol:

In very very short, In my personal opinion I think the government want to enhance a sense of Britishness as this union is falling rapidly apart. Maybe not for the rest of the UK, but definitely for English people who are actually aware of the separation gap that devolution has provided and who rightly or wrongly are feeling injustices.
A quick example, last week plans were announced to make hospital parking free in Wales.
The BBC have your says pages were full of complaining English posts

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread. ... #paginator

I think the government are aware of a divide (they have to be with groups such as the CEP and the EDF) and want to enhance a British togetherness. I find it hard as on the surface this is what they want but underneath the 4 nations seem to be pulling of in different directions.
Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge free fees/heating etc, I just think if we are all living together as one big happy union, then it should be equal across the board.
The problem is the fact that England has no representation as far as a parliament or an assembly as the rest of the UK have. But that gets me sprouting off in whole new direction and I really have to go!!!
Great thread though :D

Sweetcheeks24 said:
lou said:

I'd love to know how you managed to take my post the wrong way :? I asked you a question.. the same as you asked me one. A simple answer would have done :shakehead:

No you didn't you said "I keep seeing your posts about religion" like it was :roll:

It came across arsey to me. Sorry but it did :|

lou said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:
lou said:

No you didn't you said "I keep seeing your posts about religion" like it was :roll:

Well i'm not apologising as I said you took it the wrong way. I was referring to the fact you had mentioned religion in your posts regarding this issue when as far as I was aware religion doesn't have that much to do with it. Don't see how I could have worded it better TBH. Best leave it. Shame cos I was quite looking forward to a discussion as thought it might of gottwn interesting

Sweetcheeks24 said:
lou said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:
lou said:

Well i'm not apologising as I said you took it the wrong way. I was referring to the fact you had mentioned religion in your posts regarding this issue when as far as I was aware religion doesn't have that much to do with it. Don't see how I could have worded it better TBH. Best leave it. Shame cos I was quite looking forward to a discussion as thought it might of gottwn interesting

It can still be discussed and I wouldn't expect you to alpologise if you weren't being arsey. I think I know you well enough to know that if you had meant it arsey you would have admitted to it so let me say sorry.

Sorry :hug:

Ok no problem :hug: Gotta go shopping anyway but maybe later :D

I've managed to hoover, wash up about 3 times, make breakfast, lunch, polish the downstairs of the house and post on the forum today. But I could really do with going shopping too :)

Check me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back